MWC 2009: Put your questions to HTC!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest NuShrike

I would like to know when HTC is going to stop d**king around with Qualcomm, and start using a serious multimedia processor such as the iPhone/Samsung one, XScale, or a modern TI OMAP. It's not like anything HTC is doing requires a ARMv6+ level processor.

Also, are they going to stay closed or open up their "platform" to 3rd party developers to build upon with SDKs and such? It's tiresome to reverse engineer/fix all of HTC's latest WM hacks that change/disappear with the next hardware "refresh".

What's the likely hood of a Touch HD 2, with a better processor?

AND WHY ARE THEY DITCHING HARDWARE BUTTONS?!? It' makes me angry! :(

I like buttons to push. They always respond, and save me having to reach the far end of the screen with my thumb...

Also, isn't the touch screen drive an OEM affair, so even if WM doesn't support capacitive out of the box, the OEM can write a driver for it? Clearly, WM6/6.5 can't handle multitouch, but that's not the same as capacitive (and anyway, resistive screens can do multitouch with some driver/hardware magic).

Interesting answer from HTC ragarding SnapDragon and Tegra support.

http://www.mobinaute.com/258878-frederic-tassy-htc.html

Qualcomm (Snapdragon), Nvidia (Tegra) et Intel (Moorestone) ont développé des puces mobiles très avancées techniquement. Comptez-vous les intégrer sur vos prochains produits ?

Nous regardons de près les trois technologies proposées. Toutes sont intéressantes et allons sans doute exploiter celles de Qualcomm et Nividia dans de nouveaux terminaux qui devraient voir le jour début 2010.

So there you have it. Tegra and SnapDragon HTC products wont be out until early 2010. My guess is that they will probably announce a SnapDragon phone this summer to counter Toshiba (TG01) and Acer (F1) but it wont hit the market in time for the holidays.

Edited by MAK11

The major question to ask HTC is what are they doing to address the 'Sound Lag' issue on the Diamond and ALL of their latest devices? It has been well documented that all of the players on the devices jump every 5 minutes (all ROM's) making it impossible to listen to music. We want an answer Paul without being fobbed-off it's that important. If it's in the architecture and they can do nothing we still want to know. If they say they haven't heard of it it's an untruth... :(

Edited by Looby

hopefully the interview did happen :(

[sarcasm]Yes he got the interview, asked them all those "unliked" questions and was never seen again... B) [/sarcasm]

Edited by Prema

Paul please ask about CDMA versions of their new touchscreens

Looking at the leaked '09 roadmap, they are going to release CDMA versions of virtually everything, but I'm guessing at a later date (GSM FTW!)

Guest Apo11on
Looking at the leaked '09 roadmap, they are going to release CDMA versions of virtually everything, but I'm guessing at a later date (GSM FTW!)

Link for the leaked HTC '09 roadmap please?

Guest Apo11on
http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobi...roducts-leaked/

Topaz C will almost certainly be CDMA, and the Rhodium/Tungsten W are CDMA according to the networks they'll be on.

Thanks for the link. You're absolutely right - those devices will be CDMA, although neither Rhodium W or Tungsten W are touchscreens, in terms of having virtual keyboard only. I hope either Samsung makes CDMA version of their Omnia HD or HTC do it, like they did with HTC Touch HD, which almost cloned original Omnia specs. Besides having decent optical zoom (at least x3) for the camera, the ability to shoot and play 1080p HD video, the only thing I personally will be missing to declare this an ultimate phone is ATSC tv tunner.

But hey - Samsung already did that for home, releasing T-Omnia with DVB-T tuner, so US turn will come, right?

Guest mikeeey

3 question:

1. Multitouch devices?

2. Will they be making more Right handed devices? (Keyboard slides out right, that way you can use the stylus with right hand and D-pad with left)

3. When will they move on from qualcomm and start using a faster processor, TI Omap 200mhz and Xscale (of different speeds) are faster than qualcomm. These Qualcomm processors are equivalent to most of HTC's 2003 devices!

Thanks paul! hope I'm not posting too late.

The Touch HD was billed as a MultiMedia device however it lacks the drivers needed to run video and to some extent music with out jerky playback.

Will this be tackled. Its a current device so it should be supported.

And leading on from that is there a reason why HTC refuse to either include drivers or help others gain the knowledge needed to take advantage of their hardware. (by this I mean HomeBrew Devs).

Those are my questions.

Hope I'm not too late.

Guest MAK11

Something I noticed..

Why is Opera Mobile 9.5 jerky (non smooth scrolling, vsync problem on the top left of the screen in landscape) on the HTC HD/Diamond/Pro and smooth as slik on the Xpéria (wich is the same god damn hardware..) and the Omnia etc...?

Xperia :

What's up with that?

Yeah what boggles the mind is that the Xpéria uses the exact same hardware and is manufactured by HTC and it has decent display drivers...

Can you ask HTC about this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.