MWC 2009: Skype 3.0 previewed

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
skype_logo.png
At an event this evening, Skype previewed version 3.0 of their Windows Mobile client (running on a Touch HD).

New features include...
  • SMS support
  • File transfer support
  • SOUND COMING OUT OF THE FRONT SPEAKER!

These are all cool features! B)

SMS support should save some money when roaming (Skype SMS charges are listed as 'from € 0,038', which is a helluva lot cheaping that roaming SMS charges). File transfer support will be nice but of course the real killer is that they have managed to tweak the app to get sound coming out of the front speaker, something we all have wanted for a long time! :(

The application looked very slick and was running great in the demos and the good news is that we can expect a public Beta version available in March. That's not far away you know... Nice work Skype!

P

SMS support should save some money when roaming (Skype SMS charges are listed as 'from € 0,038', which is a helluva lot cheaping that roaming SMS charges).

Yeah, but... you still have to use roaming data to get onto Skype, so what's the point?! Not very cheaping. Most places I've been to in the Med where I could get an internet connection, it was either that you had to use one of their PCs, or you didn't have the option of WiFi in the first place, so this is a bit of a niche win, IMO.

I appreciate that in places with more ubiquitous WiFi this will definitely be an improvement though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.