How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest lantony

Hello guys, as many of you may know all the most recent Omnia come equiped with an improved touchscreen much better than the previous ones. I beleive to be one of the luckiest with the newer powerful touch but not 100% sure, moreover i LOVE the black one, while i have the standard grey one (and it's also branded!). So i am really thinking to replace it with one of these: (the black ones should be among the latest so more probable to have an improved touch).

TS-SAM-i900_01.jpg13563.jpg

Tools for assemblage are included and there are some detailed instructions that can be found here but i am not sure if it's an easy procedure. Anybody tried so far?

------------------------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------

The operation was successfull, i was able to unmount my touch panel and mount the new one bought on internet. The sensitivity gain is HUGE!! Maybe even better than iphones ! And my old touchpanel wasn't so bad like others i have seen!

Look at the following videos, i don't have a proper "before" and "after" but these videos i recorded should give you a general idea on the performances before and after the operation:

VIDEOS OF MY ORIGINAL TOUCH PANEL (optimized with registry tweaks)

VIDEO SHOWING MY NEW TOUCH PANEL (no registry optimizations)

SPB 3

I have created a guide (in Italian for the moment) with some useful informations and suggestions: DOWNLOAD

Edited by lantony

Guest msra6la2
Hello guys, as many of you may know all the most recent Omnia come equiped with an improved touchscreen much better than the previous ones. I beleive to be one of the luckiest with the newer powerful touch but not 100% sure, moreover i LOVE the black one, while i have the standard grey one (and it's also branded!). So i am really thinking to replace it with one of these: (the black ones should be among the latest so more probable to have an improved touch).

TS-SAM-i900_01.jpg13563.jpg

Tools for assemblage are included and there are some detailed instructions that can be found here but i am not sure if it's an easy procedure. Anybody tried so far?

When did this "new" touch panel come out?

Guest maf107ezk0

Well, I`ve changed a touch screen on the Touch Cruise and it wasn`t very difficut - the hardest part was to find how to get the old one off B) If you`re going to do it just remember - ALWAYS open the plasting thingy before taking out the lens cable :(

Guest pml_318
Well, I`ve changed a touch screen on the Touch Cruise and it wasn`t very difficut - the hardest part was to find how to get the old one off B) If you`re going to do it just remember - ALWAYS open the plasting thingy before taking out the lens cable :(

oh..is this capacitive touch screen?

Guest Rapixx

Are the new touchscreens much better ?

I'm just disgust when i see the touch screen of my father's f480 ... really better than my i900's one ...

Where can i buy one ?

Guest Hellbender
oh..is this capacitive touch screen?

Lol, nope, you people who keep dreaming about multitouch should stop asking around here and go out buying an Iphone.

It simply can't be a capacitive screen because of :

1. It's a spare part, so it's meant to be a substitute for the original touch panel in case of damage or malfunction, even if it's an improved version.

2. Even if it was a capacitive surface, omnia doesn't have the drivers to handle it, and not even the hardware, I strongly believe that resistive and capacitive wouldn't share the same connector, not even the same coordinate translation technology.

3. Even if it was a capacitive surface (ignoring the first two motivations mentioned above) no multitouch anyway because actually WM doesn't support it, not even in the late 6.5 release, M$ said they will support Multitouch in WM7, wich si not around and will not for a time, so a capacitive screen would be a little early for the actual software (OS) capabilities.

Omnia will never be a true multitouch device, let you soul (and the omnia's one) rest.

Edited by Hellbender

Guest lantony
Are the new touchscreens much better ?

I'm just disgust when i see the touch screen of my father's f480 ... really better than my i900's one ...

Where can i buy one ?

The new screens are much more sensitive and can be compared to the Iphone ones but these are still not "multitouch". All the most recent Omnia (like Omnia Reloaded) come out equipped with this new touch. I found many shops on Ebay B)

Guest lantony
Woo !! so far better !! B)

So.. is it easy to mount ?

Or... to dismount the old.. ? xD

did u read the pdf file i posted ? That can give u an idea

Edited by lantony

Guest pml_318
Lol, nope, you people who keep dreaming about multitouch should stop asking around here and go out buying an Iphone.

It simply can't be a capacitive screen because of :

1. It's a spare part, so it's meant to be a substitute for the original touch panel in case of damage or malfunction, even if it's an improved version.

2. Even if it was a capacitive surface, omnia doesn't have the drivers to handle it, and not even the hardware, I strongly believe that resistive and capacitive wouldn't share the same connector, not even the same coordinate translation technology.

3. Even if it was a capacitive surface (ignoring the first two motivations mentioned above) no multitouch anyway because actually WM doesn't support it, not even in the late 6.5 release, M$ said they will support Multitouch in WM7, wich si not around and will not for a time, so a capacitive screen would be a little early for the actual software (OS) capabilities.

Omnia will never be a true multitouch device, let you soul (and the omnia's one) rest.

i've contacted a few touch panel suppliers this recently and seems all giving me the same answer, that the current available ctp technology only supports the so called multitouch function which only able to do picture zooming. In manufacturers' pov, currently there is no true multitouch tp on the market, neither iphone nor others ctp on the market.

Anyway, isn't the incoming Omnia HD equipped with ctp?

Guest Rapixx

wanna make a bet with me ? The one who received and INSTALLED the new screen first win ... ^^

Lol

Should I buy, should I not... ? that's the question !

Guest Hellbender
i've contacted a few touch panel suppliers this recently and seems all giving me the same answer, that the current available ctp technology only supports the so called multitouch function which only able to do picture zooming. In manufacturers' pov, currently there is no true multitouch tp on the market, neither iphone nor others ctp on the market.

Anyway, isn't the incoming Omnia HD equipped with ctp?

That's a very superficial answer because actually multitouch on Iphone isn't used only for zooming pictures, in fact it's a matter of software usage of that infos (touch coordinates), there are for example painting apps on iphone which allows you to paint with more than one finger on screen at the same time, that's not "only zooming". It has even been used to tap multiple buttons on screen.

Look at this for example, isn't this "multitouch"? If it's not may be i'm missing the correct definition of multitouch.

Guest lantony
That's a very superficial answer because actually multitouch on Iphone isn't used only for zooming pictures, in fact it's a matter of software usage of that infos (touch coordinates), there are for example painting apps on iphone which allows you to paint with more than one finger on screen at the same time, that's not "only zooming". It has even been used to tap multiple buttons on screen.

Look at this for example, isn't this "multitouch"? If it's not may be i'm missing the correct definition of multitouch.

you're right, multitouch can be very handy in many situations and i'm sure more and more pda will come equipped with it in the near future. But since we will never see a multitouch screen for our Omnia, please guys don't go offtopic B)

Guest pml_318

Maybe they lie, rofl.

multitouch: alt+ctrl+del , iphone able to perform such func?

Guest lantony
Are you gonna buy lantony ?

I'm hesitating... anyone tried it on his own device? =p

as i wrote in the first post, i would like to buy one. I was just asking if somebody has already tried, because i am a bit scared about the assemble, not sure it's so easy B)

Guest Hellbender
you're right, multitouch can be very handy in many situations and i'm sure more and more pda will come equipped with it in the near future. But since we will never see a multitouch screen for our Omnia, please guys don't go offtopic B)

You are right, sorry, just realized i was trolling.

Guest lantony
I did it lantony ...

I'll post back when i'd get the screen up my omnia =p (I took wholesaleandy's one)http://myworld.ebay.com/wholesaleandy/

Cool! i prefer that one too, what a pity they don't provide the tools as well. Anyway do u have the old touch with sensitivity problems?

Mine is this one below, i think i have the supertouch but not completely sure :S