How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest 3shirts
Ordered one myself :-)

Hope i dont mess this up

Yeah I took the plunge too. Let's hope I am careful enough to pull this off. Supadan, can you post up when yours arrives and how you get on with the job?

Edited by 3shirts

Guest finaldestiny

After being continuously annoyed with the touch screen of my omnia, and reading some comments on this thread, I decided to do the lcd test. All seemed well until I started testing the left side of the screen. As you'll see in the picture below, there is a curved patter on the left even though i was pressing straight down on the left, practically along the black line around the screen with a sharp point.

Of course I'd noticed that the left side would never register buttons properly when typing on the omnia but...this is ridiculous :|

Anyway, my question is, as it seems obvious that its NOT a software/firmware issue (tried mutliple roms and same result), is it likely that its a problem specific to the touch digitizer? And as such, would the touch panels that you guys are talking about fix the problem? ( i believe i have the old one after seeing the youtube video of the new touch panel)

Any guidance right now would be appreciated, because I honestly feel like tossing the phone into the nearest bin :excl:

post-440261-1240154462_thumb.jpg

Guest 3shirts
After being continuously annoyed with the touch screen of my omnia, and reading some comments on this thread, I decided to do the lcd test. All seemed well until I started testing the left side of the screen. As you'll see in the picture below, there is a curved patter on the left even though i was pressing straight down on the left, practically along the black line around the screen with a sharp point.

Of course I'd noticed that the left side would never register buttons properly when typing on the omnia but...this is ridiculous :|

Anyway, my question is, as it seems obvious that its NOT a software/firmware issue (tried mutliple roms and same result), is it likely that its a problem specific to the touch digitizer? And as such, would the touch panels that you guys are talking about fix the problem? ( i believe i have the old one after seeing the youtube video of the new touch panel)

Any guidance right now would be appreciated, because I honestly feel like tossing the phone into the nearest bin :excl:

In your case I'd try a service center. For most of us it is just poor sensitivity which is not an inherent fault but yours is actually faulty so they should fix it under warranty.

Guest msra6la2
good luck then. Anyway at the beginning i didn't have any clue on how to do it because it was the first time ever, but i was successfull and now it looks so easy to me :excl:

wayyy, CarphoneWarehouse has replaced the touchpanel for me for free. Let's hope the new touchpanel is the new version

Edited by msra6la2

Guest 3shirts
What about this kit: Original Full Housing Cover for Samsung i900 i908~White

Is this one the new digitilizer?

I'm very interested in this white pack...

Please give me a feedback...

I think you'll have to email the seller and ask when the digitizer was manufactured. Unless someone else here has happened to buy from this seller there is no other way to know

Guest msra6la2
good luck then. Anyway at the beginning i didn't have any clue on how to do it because it was the first time ever, but i was successfull and now it looks so easy to me :excl:

one word for the new touch panel

AWESOME

Guest 3shirts
one word for the new touch panel

AWESOME

You are UK and took yours to a Samsung service centre (Carphone Warehouse) right? What did you tell them cos I am taking mine to a local Samsung service centre at the weekend and if I can convince them to do the panel change, that'd be sweet.

Edited by 3shirts

Guest msra6la2
You are UK and took yours to a Samsung service centre (Carphone Warehouse) right? What did you tell them cos I am taking mine to a local Samsung service centre at the weekend and if I can convince them to do the panel change, that'd be sweet.

aye, I brought mine down to Carphone Warehouse last thursday evening and they fixed it for me within 2 working days (actually 3 cos it took them 1 extra working day to deliver my phone)

I rang up Samsung and the lady on the phone gave me the same old bollocks that the phone "is not" designed for finger pressing. So I absolutely battered her by stating the facts that when I bought the phone at Phones4U, the sales clearly said the phone is finger friendly and furthermore on the Samsung Mobile website, it clearly says Omnia is designed for the fingers. I also said to her that because she changed one of the features of the phone (finger friendly to non- finger friendly) during our conversation, which constitutes a lie from Samsung UK, I reserve the right to sue Samsung and her personally (LOL! I still can't believe that she actually believed that I have the bargaining chips, the financial strength and the fuss to sue Samsung and her, what an idiot!!!). She got scared and ended up referring me to a Carphone Warehouse Express repair centre and they just changed it for me (that's probably because the proof of purchase I showed them is a Phones4U's contract and they wanna lure me away from Phones4U).

ta

Edited by msra6la2

Guest 3shirts

Good work, I got that same bull when I rang up and gave her the same ear bashing (wonder if it was the same woman). She said I could send it off for repair but if there was no fault found it would just be sent back and i'd be without for 2 weeks.

I then found out there is a shop in my town that I have used for Nokia repairs before who are also a Samsung service centre so I rang them up and am going in on Saturday to see if they can:

1) Change it under warranty

Or

2) Change it for me but at a price

They are very good in there so I'm confident they'll do a good job, just a question of whether they can do it under warranty for me

Edited by 3shirts

Guest msra6la2
Good work, I got that same bull when I rang up and gave her the same ear bashing (wonder if it was the same woman). She said I could send it off for repair but if there was no fault found it would just be sent back and i'd be without for 2 weeks.

I then found out there is a shop in my town that I have used for Nokia repairs before who are also a Samsung service centre so I rang them up and am going in on Saturday to see if they can:

1) Change it under warranty

Or

2) Change it for me but at a price

They are very good in there so I'm confident they'll do a good job, just a question of whether they can do it under warranty for me

Carphone said, before the repair, that if they found no fault, it would cost me £45 just to get the panel replaced. I said ok and they fixed it for free.

Wish you the best of luck for getting the panel replaced

ta

Guest 3shirts
Carphone said, before the repair, that if they found no fault, it would cost me £45 just to get the panel replaced. I said ok and they fixed it for free.

Wish you the best of luck for getting the panel replaced

ta

Was that including the cost of the panel itself?

Guest msra6la2
Was that including the cost of the panel itself?

yea I think so. Anyway, I just found that there's a crack on the top right corner of my phone so I am thinking about sending it back for a phone replacement.

btw, let me know if they will change it for you

Guest Wadzii

i just ran lcd test on my i910 for shits and giggles.

for anyone that has run this test, the bottom 1/3 of my screen around 1/4 inch from the edges takes a ton of pressure to get a response out of. everywhere else i can just lay the stylus on the screen and it draws a line/makes a dot. in the area mentioned before i really have to push on it..

will the new screen fix this?

edit, actually the more i play with it the more it seems that the outside edges are just not sensitive at all...

Edited by Wadzii

Guest Rednose5
Hey guys, i was able to record a quick video of my Omnia with the new touch panel. I don't know if you will be able to notice the increased sensitivity but it should give u a general idea on the performance :excl:

videos added in the first post

Hi Lantony,

I saw your video and was surprised that you are on a english B3 rom ? Where did you get it and could you share this rom with the rest of us ?

Does it also include winmo 6.5 or is it still on 6.1 ?

Guest omnia0331

Hi guys i saw the touch panel and it looks awesome but i have a question... Do you know if this would fit on the omnia i910 or will it work on it??? Thanks in advance

Guest endursa

i finally gave it a shot and bought myself a touchpanel on ebay ! 

the mounting was very easy to do but i've worked on selfphones now for about 9 years :D 

but one thing is for shure the new touchscreen rox!!!!! it's so sensitive now, i almoste just have to lay my thumb on it do get an input!

Guest 3shirts

New panel arrived this evening from WholeSaleAndy. I've never worked on a phone before so I made sure I had the tools, a clean dust-free working area and the PC with those instructions posted on here.

I went slowly, was very careful with the fragile connectors and took my time with things like prising away the taped down bits. Took me about an hour, though much longer taking apart than putting back together. One brown-trouser moment when I had put it all together and the camera app said "Failed to start due to absence of camera module"!, but I carefully backtracked and realised I had not correctly seated the large black connecter which joins the camera to the main board. Re-seated that and it is now all good.

The new panel is A-MAZ-ING! It's like a new phone, I no longer need to use my nail I can just touch gently and sweep across! It's a cliche but it genuinely feels like an iPhone to use.

Very pleased I did it and quietly chuffed that I did it myself :D

Edited by 3shirts

Guest eufouria

I too would be interested if this is possible for the i910, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but WholeSaleAndy doesn't seem to be carrying any at the moment...

Guest lantony
Hi Lantony,

I saw your video and was surprised that you are on a english B3 rom ? Where did you get it and could you share this rom with the rest of us ?

Does it also include winmo 6.5 or is it still on 6.1 ?

hello there, i just picked the rom from the official samsung website. For Italy there's this ROM, out before than the other countries. The latest english rom is still DIXIA5 i think