New Orange UK GPRS Tarriffs

Guest xanadu

Guest mashkhan

The way I see it, if after April 30 98% of SPV users cancel their GPRS. Orange would have to do something. When I first got my SPV I showed off the internet capabilites/Streaming etc to loads of people, influencing quite a few people to get the phone. It's a huge selling point in my opinion.

In fact I think as a gesture of goodwill to all us early adopters Orange should extend the "unlimited" GPRS offer. I understand that they are there to make money, but when I bought the phone I did not expect to be a paying beta tester

When I first got my SPV I showed off the internet capabilites/Streaming etc to loads of people, influencing quite a few people to get the phone. It's a huge selling point in my opinion.
Yup and therefore a huge profit point for Orange. Why do you think they are creating this phone - cause they're techies or to get more cash of us.

...when I bought the phone I did not expect to be a paying beta tester

Then you shouldn't have bought a brand new platform at launch. It's the sad truth of the matter regarding new technology - nothing works perfectly at launch.

Guest boutros

I agree with both sides of the story... but I think that orange have probably had to absorb a loss to get the phones on the market. It is the future, but we all know that if you want to have the latest thing, you're going to be paying over the odds...

Prices will fall, and I'm sure that their plans will change in May when they notice the usage drop and the bad press that they'll start getting from customers. I know I won't be using it much at those rates!

Come on orange... beat all competition and offer a fair usage option at a set charge. I know everyone I've told about the £6 unlimited usage was amazed...

Think about it...

Guest FragMeister

Just incase of difficulties, I have kept a copy of the "terms" of the SPV promotional pack.

Here is the exact wording:

the SPV pack

The purchase of the SPV phone is subject to connection to the SPV promotional pack. It provides unlimited web browsing, email and access to a great range of information and entertainment services (terms and conditions apply) and costs £6 per month on top of your existing Service Plan. The pack can be purchased until 31st March 2003 and runs until 30th April 2003. At the end of the promotional period you will automatically be changed onto an equal or lower priced GPRS bundle with a megabyte cap.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/spv_pack_popup.html

Based on this wording, I guess that we will all be moved automatically onto the 2Mb tariff.

Guest awarner [MVP]
My definition of comparable pricing after 30th April is £6 for 10MB per month. What is Orange's definition?
I agree I'd be happy with that ;) as I use less than that a month.

"]Hmmm, maybe a petition or boycott may be in order when the time comes?

You never know they might listen to us for once :wink:

If not lets pass through :lol:

F**K the internet on your phone... I know I lived without it and can live without it for another few years.. Not that I won't use it at a fair price, but nothing will make me pay more than £1/mb and that with no 'bundles'. Pay after you use... +free MB should come soon after the competition kicks in!! It's all about the competition!!

The whole point with the SPV is its ability to use a "proper" internet browser. Technically orange could charge whatever they wanted and if u didnt pay it then ur stuck with a rather large and expensive phone!

It is a bit misleading tho as how many people had any concept of how much they'd be using it before they bought it. Like the free MMS. After 3 months of using it for free, how many people are gonna be "addicted" to it? Its like txting.

Seriously though, Orange learn't its lesson from Genie i think... remember the free txting on the first batch of sim cards. It cost them a fortune. They should allow the first users to continue with this £6 pm option, that just makes good customer relations sense!

Guest sbsdegb1

Had my second Orange bill today.

Not using my SPV enough.... Only used 1.4 MB of GPRS usage.

Also noticed that my recent visit to Denmark never incurred any GPRS charges which is good. Orange told me it was free on one of the Danish networks as part of a promotion. But when I got there I never changed networks as my phone still found an Orange network, Therefore I worked on the assumption that I pay Orange £6 for unlimited usage and as I was on a Danish Orange network it was still Orange.

As for Orange when are they going to include free SMS messages like all other Networks as part of my monthly contract fee.

The whole point with the SPV is its ability to use a "proper" internet browser.

And how about an MP3 player, videos, color games and decent outlook calendar?? Plus the ability to work with pictures (even though its a bit shite but i'm glad the cam is separate from the phone). IE is far not the most important feature!! Well that's my point anyway.

I find internet useful only in rare cases. Espeially now that I have internet access at home & at work and find it a pain in hte arse using PIE and that tiny kboard on SPV unless I really need to. And on the way to/from work - the bloody tube!!

Even in Ukraine there is reception in the tube (at least the central part of city). And yes, it is a genuine METRO and it IS underground and has more than 2 stations ;) :lol:

Orange have Your Plan rather than a fixed tarrif.

The benefits are that if u dont want to pay for txt u don't and ur not forced into paying for it. - nothing is for nothing.

If you want to add txt bundles you must be on an orange tarrif. It is not possible to add them to OVP. If you don't, just change your tarrif to the OVP that suits ur needs - ie O2 200 + 50 txt or what ever.

Guest sbsdegb1

I was under the assumption that on OVP tariffs although you can have free txt messages you lose some of your other Orange benefits. Such as cheaper international calls.

On OVP Orange charge you at the international rates from the provider they are matching.

As i said, nothing's for nothing. That, as well as peak and off peak, fixed rates, photo bundles, in front etc etc.

when i said about IE, the point was not just that. It's the function of it. obviously if u store mp3 on your card it is an adequate player but streaming, downloading games, all those things, unless u do it on a pc and copy are a direct function of its ability to use the standard www protocol, not wap. So u will have to pay for these "luxuries"

Sorry if i did was misunderstood! ;)

"]Hmmm, maybe a petition or boycott may be in order when the time comes?

;)

P

Probably not enough people read each thread to make this worthwhile BUT.. How about a "Boycott Orange Day" ?

Just avoid using their network at all for a day, not sure how much impact this would make but maybe if enough people participated it may influence them.

Why is the GPRS 7 package more expensive per Mb than any of the others ?

Guest jtsaint

A LOT of money was spent on licenses for 3g tech. Now I know the SPV is not 3g but they need some way of gaining some if this investmant back so dont expect any freebies

I for one aren't expecting freebies (although they would be nice ;) ). All I'm after is a fair price. If orange can't supply that then I'm sure we here on the forum can "persuade" them to follow the right course of action.

To be honest, I think paying for an amount of data sent with no method of finding out how much or how little you've used each month is just plain daft. Especially as when you go over your allotted amount they charge a rediculous amount. Or is that the idea :wink:

I'm not sure at the moment what I'll do come April 30th, I don't use the internet that much on the phone as I have 512Kb line at home and a 2Mb line at work, but it nice when you're out and about and need cinema times, nearest decent resturants etc

My 1st bill since I got my SPV had 26Mb of GPRS usage! Mainly due to a fair bit of Video/Radio streaming. So I imagine I'll be a bit peeved come April. Mind you, this was while I was still in the 'shiny new toy' phase, so hopefully the novelty will have worn off my then. ;)

Guest Gorskar

The new gprs tariff might be cheaper than the old one, but is till one heck of a lot more that I can afford to shell out.

I don't quite see orange's logic - they must know that unless they reduce GPRS costs to something reasonable then 95% of users will simply cancel GPRS at the end of april, and they will end up £6 per user worse off.

How about a "Boycott Orange Day" ?

Just avoid using their network at all for a day, not sure how much impact this would make but maybe if enough people participated it may influence them.

I dont think an actual boycott would work. Although we think we are a lot united here we only make up a small portion of the Orange customer base.. less than 0.1% at least!

I think that a better idea would be everyone email or call customer services and register a complaint or comment. That way, when they audit - at least once a week, there will be a couple of thousand comments on the same issue. I think that at least would be enough to make the network listen - and it wouldn't affect people who use their mobile for work too.

Just an idea but if everyone wants to participate then we should set a date. Maybe monday 3rd or something!!!

Let me know ur thoughts!

Infact, if they all came though me, i could email them internally and that might case a sensation ;)

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

The fact remains, up until now SPV owners have been getting a VERY cheap rate, and that when the promo pack terminates you'll be paying LESS than Orange customers with non-SPV's have done until now. For some patterns of usage it's still a very cheap deal - leaving MSN switched on all day costs almost nothing. POP3 Email remains cheap. Time for a reality check here. Is there ANYONE who didn't realise that mobile phone companies subsidise the high cost of phones out of revenues from call charges when they bought their SPV? You got the phone for less than it cost the retailer... and now you imagine that the retailer has a duty to make a loss on call charges as well? Last time I looked, the Telco's were businesses, not charities. TANSTAAFL. (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.)

Depends what they're gonna charge really. The issue is not that they will, but how much. Doesn't bother me either way - obviously! I was just trying to help.

Guest Gorskar

Funny you should mention that, but two days ago I did get a free lunch.

Me and 2 other guys were the last people eating in the university cafe before it closed, and one of the guys who works there came up to us and gave us a bag of baguettes, which they would have otherwise not been able to keep.

So I kept some of them in my fridge, and what do you know - the next day = a free lunch!

In all seriousness though, you are probably right, we should just be greatful that GPRS has been cut to 1/4 its previous price. Some people might be willing to pay that money i guess.

Its still too much for me to pay though, especially with no way to monitor usage, so I will still be cancelling come april under the likely outlook, unless things change (lower costs and some kind of gprs usage monitor).

Orange need to think long and hard about what kind of tariffs are going to make them the most money (and by that I mean balance the price so that its low enough that lots of people are willing to pay, but high enough to make them a pile of money) They also need to provide a free usage monitor. It'll never work without one.

The funniest by far was a customer who bought their SPV from a phone shop - no names.. but if you rearrange these letters warchoneparehouse you'll understand. They hadn't connected the SPV pack - somehow, and they were charged £380 in data charges... it was refunded of course but it just goes to show that without a working data counter and £ calculator, some people are gonna get a nasty shock if they forget to cancel - which i'm sure O are hoping for. Same with MMS, 1st of April is gonna be hard for the new MMS addicts.

Orange can Xnet with O2 and i guess once the free trial runs out the networks will open their gates to each other - a case of i'll scratch urs... It will take off though - remember the sms sceptics?