Omnia to replace iPod (NOT iPhone)

Guest rodrigorajao

Guest rodrigorajao

I had an 80GB ipod stolen a few days ago. and now I'm considering using my Omnia as my main mp3 player until I can buy a new iPod (its high capacity can't be beat). I have a few questions:

1. Is there a finger friendly media player for the Omnia? I really have no problem using WMP, but the controls are just too tiny. I do NOT have Samsung's player installed as I use a custom ROM without it, but if that's my best option, I'll be happy to re-install it.

2. Since I'm downgrading from 80GB to 16GB (32GB if I ever get a microSD), managing a huge music library becomes an issue. How do you guys do it?? Again, WMP does a decent job of it, but it's no iTunes.

3. Does the Omnia sound better than an iPod (especially the low frequencies)?? To add insult to injury, I had just ordered a pair of Sennheisen CX500 earbuds for my iPod the day before it was stolen; now I'll just use them with the Omnia (because its J-type earbuds annoy me to no end).

4. Does mp3 playback (most tracks encoded at 128 kbps) suck up too much battery?? One great thing about the iPod is that I could play it almost endlessly during work and only need to recharge it fully every couple of weeks. I know the Omnia can't beat that, but I'd hate to see my fully charged battery dead at the end of an 8 hour shift.

TYIA

Guest hxkclan

1: Try Nitrogen (you can find it on XDA-Developers), most finger friendly player i know, with all functionalities.

2: Music is not the main ''function'' of the device. And you dont control a ''library'' on your pda/phone, you just ''have some music with you''.

3: Sound is pretty good, i heard its even better if you buy a shorter ''samsung-top-3,5mm'' cable.

4: Not sure about how long the music can play, but i dont think it will last that long.

Guest somedude

No one has mentioned slide 2 play yet? It is easily the best music player ive ever used on a phone.

Surprisingly, mp3 playback on the omnia is pretty good. As long as the display turns off while your playing the music, you should be fine. With slide 2 play, I will last about 8 hours of continuous music(if i dont make any calls).

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progChangelo...elog-59292.html

Guest maf107ezk0

Well, I`m using mine as the "master" player and to tell you the truth it`s very nice - gr8 sound quallity, good battery life B)

Edited by maf107ezk0

Guest Compuvac

I am currently using CorePlayer, and it's great player.

it displays properly album art, and is capable to play live stream, and much more.... B)

Guest abuawab

i have both the ipod touch v2 and samsung omnia and i'm using them on my new car sound system (04 accord) and i can tell you that u wont feel the difference except that the omnia with "paul's help" can give u a louder sound B) thanks Paul

so here you go, the only reason i would go for an ipod is coz of the capacity and personally i think that 24 or even 32gp is more than enough

All the best

Guest mobilehappy

For those who not only want a touch friendly media player but also want one with a superb media library, i second the earlier recommended: Kinoma Play

Guest dwethiswar
i can tell you that u wont feel the difference
2nd. couldn't hear a significant difference either, certainly not when playing on a car system, and certainly not when using 128kbps mp3.

Guest poedgirl
Since we're on the subject of music from Ipod to Omnia...

Anyone out there have any knowledge of converting mp4p to mp3?

I'm assuming you have iTunes installed if you were using an iPod in the first place. In iTunes go to Edit > Preferences, change the Ripping preferences to rip to MP3 instead of AAC and select your desired quality level. Now, you can right click any mp4 file in iTunes and select Convert to MP3 from the menu.

Oh and by the way, the official site for S2P is http://www.ac-s2.com/

Edited by poedgirl

Guest ronzo77

i remember reading somewhere that the ipods use the same samsung chip as in the omnias to process audio, so they should sound the same.

if your library has many different formats i recommend coreplayer. s2p is finger friendly but it plays limited formats. also it creates annoying little files in every folder that it scans.

Guest Omnia-Winker

Anyone using Omnia as a music player in a Car streaming via FM.

I get loads of interference from my radio - The annoying click click clicks when searching for a signal etc.

Guest kdavidyates

The Omnia has excellent sound, and decent battery for music playback. I will try a continuous playback test soon and tell you how long it lasts, but I use the mp3 player for approx 1-1.5 hours per day plus about 30 txt a day, light phone use, and moderate internet usage (about an hour a day), and it normally lasts between 60-72 hours.

Different Ipods use different chips. The Omnnia is way, way better than my old Nano 2G, but apparently Omnia uses the same sound chip as the IPhone, which therefore ought to have comparable sound quality. My view is that the Omnia is suitable for use as a main mp3 player (it is the only one I use right now), and should be good for at least 10-12 hours continuous playback. As I recall the Ipod nano was rated at 24 hours, but that was on 50% volume. I play the Omnia at around 80%, so it compares pretty favourably to the Nano IMO. Can't comment on other Ipods. I'll post back when I get a chance to test it properly. BTW my mp3s are all encoded at VBR V0 or V1 (approx 256kbs).

Edited by kdavidyates

Guest meabigbaldguy
I'm assuming you have iTunes installed if you were using an iPod in the first place. In iTunes go to Edit > Preferences, change the Ripping preferences to rip to MP3 instead of AAC and select your desired quality level. Now, you can right click any mp4 file in iTunes and select Convert to MP3 from the menu.

It appears that this is no longer possible with iTunes 8. What I meant was trying to convert music files purchased directly from itunes to mp3 - in other words overcoming the digital rights. I've tried this in the past but wasn't successful. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Guest meabigbaldguy
It appears that this is no longer possible with iTunes 8. What I meant was trying to convert music files purchased directly from itunes to mp3 - in other words overcoming the digital rights. I've tried this in the past but wasn't successful. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

I just figured out why. The folks at Apple have saw fit to allow mp4p conversions - albeit for a price. iTunes 8 now has an upgrade feature called iTunes Plus which will remove DRM's at 30 cents a pop, and this will allow you to play your iTunes purchases on just about any other media player or device.

Anyway, this isn't an iTunes forum so I won't bring it up anymore, but maybe this will help someone else out. BTW, if any of you are wondering, I do have an iPod - from my darker and uninformed days, but I have too much invested in it now to lose it. It does serve its purpose though.

Guest jchamier
Perhaps I'm missing something here?

No, the convert works, but only on non protected files. Stuff you've bought from the store (before "plus" appeared) is protected. Without the protection there would have been no store. iTunes kinda brought critical mass to the market quite a few years ago now (iTunes 4?).

Have a google for DoubleTwist if you have a Mac, the Win version seems to have gone AWOL.

Or burn the tracks to CD and re-rip; with a decent drive and ripper, you shouldn't tell any difference.

Guest Massive Attack
I had an 80GB ipod stolen a few days ago. and now I'm considering using my Omnia as my main mp3 player until I can buy a new iPod (its high capacity can't be beat). I have a few questions:

1. Is there a finger friendly media player for the Omnia? I really have no problem using WMP, but the controls are just too tiny. I do NOT have Samsung's player installed as I use a custom ROM without it, but if that's my best option, I'll be happy to re-install it.

2. Since I'm downgrading from 80GB to 16GB (32GB if I ever get a microSD), managing a huge music library becomes an issue. How do you guys do it?? Again, WMP does a decent job of it, but it's no iTunes.

3. Does the Omnia sound better than an iPod (especially the low frequencies)?? To add insult to injury, I had just ordered a pair of Sennheisen CX500 earbuds for my iPod the day before it was stolen; now I'll just use them with the Omnia (because its J-type earbuds annoy me to no end).

4. Does mp3 playback (most tracks encoded at 128 kbps) suck up too much battery?? One great thing about the iPod is that I could play it almost endlessly during work and only need to recharge it fully every couple of weeks. I know the Omnia can't beat that, but I'd hate to see my fully charged battery dead at the end of an 8 hour shift.

TYIA

I came from iPod classic 80GB too, until my wife "stole" it so Im left with omnia as mp3 player B) . And I was using CX500 too with my iPod, but had to convert to other earphones that can be disconnected at the middle, using CX500 is too long for me.

1. If you are using WMP, you dont have to change player if your problem is just the small control, you can change the skin that have larger controls, I have attached a skin here you can try, you can look for other skins if this doesnt suit you.

2. Had same problem, I had to choose which music or albums I usually play the most. After creating a playlist on itune (smart or simple), I select all (CTRL+A) and copy and paste to a folder on my omnia, like I would create a smartlist of my 5 star songs, select them all and copy and paste them to my omnia on a folder named "Favorites". same with album. On other songs, I had to rely on the folder, just copy and paste the folder. Luckily iTunes embed the artwork and other info on the mp3.

3. About the sound quality, I think its comparable to iPod, samsung isnt like other cheap cellphones that have inferior SQ. Just a comparison, my Omnia sound better than my PSP.

4. I once tried playing my omnia from home to work to home, from 100%, it took around 8 hours to drain the battery, but my mp3 is VBR 128 to 320.

after answering all your question, i kinda miss my ipod, i just dont have the balls to get it back from my wifey :(

WMP_Skin_iPhone.cab

Guest Maxwell Newton

IMHO Pocket Player is your best option. Finger friendly, looks good and is much better than S2P (for example) at Library control, it works very much like an ipod, if not exactly the same.

You can get it here:

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

There is a trial, and then you have to pay, but its worth it. If you dont want to take one persons opinion on it (i wouldnt B)) then just see that it has won:

Best player from Pocket PC 2003

Best Player Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine 2005, 2006, 2007.

At least give it a shot. I did a lot of research when i first got the omnia because i was so dissapointed with how the inbuilt player and WMP handled large libraries. This player has different skins to get it how you like it, it also has hundreds of different options for everything from binding keys for skipping tracks to having notifications in Home screen to screen power save modes.

This topic has come up before, and it was agreed last time that Pocket Player offers the most out of all MP3 Players, and is the easiest to use.

If you have any problems with it, it has a forum which offer very good (quick) support.

It also plays pretty much everything from Ogg Vorbis to mp3. I think it also playes AAC which is handy for all us itunes users!

Media player aside, have you thought about how to sync your MP3 players with itunes to only put the tracks on you want (easily)? No need!

If you have a massive library that wont fit on your iPod you normally create a playlist and sync it with your ipod. Well theres a little program called iTunesSync which can sync a playlist from iTunes (any playlist, from a custom made one, to the only 5star rated one) onto any mass storage device. It will sort the music how you want, you can have the tracks put on by Artist -> Album -> Track, or even just put all the tracks into one folder. It sync ability is good, so it only copies tracks that are newly added to that playlist, and can delete tracks you have removes from that playlist (just what you would expect from something with sync in the name!)

You can get this brilliant app FREE from:

http://www.binaryfortress.com/itunes-sync/

This is the set up i have, and i believe its the closest i can get the omnia to an Ipod!

Good luck!!

Max

Edited by Maxwell Newton

Guest ssyed

I used to have an iPod until last week. After getting a 16gb microsd card and returning my iPod, I've used pocket player, pocket music, and all the other ones mentioned in this forum. Pocket Player is seriously annoying when it comes to file management, but it supports almost all the formats. Pocket Music is good, but again I hate the file management part. Personally, I really think kinoma player is the best. It uses the least amount of battery. I've ran pocket player and in 7.5 hours my battery goes from 100% to 50%. For Kinoma player, from 100% to 70%. Moreover, something unique about it is that it uses your folders as your playlist, in other words, you dont have to create a stupid annoying playlist and sync with your computer to have songs in order. However, you could if want. It views songs folder by folder. The only downside is that the free version does not play a lot of diff. formats. But im willing to forget about all of that. Awesome player, simple, easy to use, least amount of battery and just amazing file management. I dont think i'll ever find the need for an ipod.