New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Apo11on

if my previous assumption is correct I have an advice for people, whose EBOOT download hangs in the middle:

Do NOT restart the flash process again. If you're able to power up your phone - find the partially uploaded EBOOT img file and either delete it or manually replace it with the full EBOOT img file from the ROM, if you're able to extract it. Then say a prayer and give it a shot again.

Option B: wait until first half of May, when official ROM with installer are rumored to be released

Guest pylesw
Mines got stuck at 15% too...

Maybe the img file needs to be .rar'ed up?

Maybe the .img files we downloaded were corrupt. I followed the steps to a T man, im not a noob at this stuff at all. I hate it when people assume that we were just some noobs that didnt know what we were doing and thats why our phones were bricked.

Anyways, i think someone should take the .img file that worked for them, rar it up and post a new link. That would be great if someone can do that.

Follow-up: My wife brought the phone into the Verizon store and they are shipping me a new phone next week. I'll need to ship my old phone back after receiving the replacement. So, it worked out well in the end.

I'm not going to attempt flashing this ROM again but will wait until Verizon releases the official version. I've been an IT professional for 20 years, and have flashed the firmware onto many phones over the years. This was a case of the installation being "buggy" and not any error on my part. It's a beta and these things are to be expected. I'm sure Verizon's official beta group is experiencing a number of bricks in their testing. In any case, I'll still monitor this forum to learn from those with successful upgrades what's new with the firmware, but until Verizon releases their official version, I'm out of the game.

Guest ciscokidinsf

OK, I am taking the plunge after the 22nd. I will be traveling monday and cannot risk a bricking. First step is to do an SPB backup. I'll keep my eyes open on this thread! Good luck for future upgraders.

Guest somedude
Follow-up: My wife brought the phone into the Verizon store and they are shipping me a new phone next week. I'll need to ship my old phone back after receiving the replacement. So, it worked out well in the end.

I'm not going to attempt flashing this ROM again but will wait until Verizon releases the official version. I've been an IT professional for 20 years, and have flashed the firmware onto many phones over the years. This was a case of the installation being "buggy" and not any error on my part. It's a beta and these things are to be expected. I'm sure Verizon's official beta group is experiencing a number of bricks in their testing. In any case, I'll still monitor this forum to learn from those with successful upgrades what's new with the firmware, but until Verizon releases their official version, I'm out of the game.

IT professional for 20 years...So obviously this guy isnt a noob.

Just because you guys got lucky and didnt brick your phone, doesnt mean we're 'retarded' or noobs for bricking ours. Its bad enough im without a phone, but we dont need other members rubbing it in to us.

Edited by somedude

Guest Joe_marcusSEA

I was able to update my ROM with no problems today. I did a SPB Backup before hand which saved several hours of reloading programs and settings. After I figured that .rar was a compressed file type, the process only took 20 minutes or so. My PC is running Win7.

Guest ChillyCat
will this rom update work for verizon users in the u.s.a. and if it does can anyone show how to save the current rom so if i mess up i can revert back to original rom. thanks

By the tone of your initial questions, i'd assume your knowledge of "flashing" is limited.

[which might be a sign, that one needs to read up on such matters]

There's nothing too terribly "tekky" , about doing the actual act of flashing, but if you're

asking those type of questions ??? .....i'd probably sit back and wait for an official release

from Verizon.

Bricks can easily be produced....... you feeling lucky today ?

Guest lordricearoni

Anyone having stability issues with SPB Mobile Shell and this ROM? Everything worked fine stock, but after flashing, SPB mobile shell is locking up all over the place.

Guest dwallersv
No one else is having trouble with Orb and windows media with this new ROM?

I've had the same problems you're talking about with PWMP going back to WM5. It simply is not a very flexible, sophisticated media player, doesn't handle aspect ratio very well, and when it gets it wrong, has no controls to override.

What tuner card are you using with Orb? PVR150? Note that everything that Orb sends out from this card will look to the player like standard NTSC 4:3. A lot of material is now HD, especially over sat (Dish, Direct), so you need to adjust on the client end and force it to display 16:9.

I don't bother with WMP on WM... I use CorePlayer, and as someone else said, there's no competition for this great media player. You can easily configure it to display what amounts to an anamorphic NTSC format at 16:9, thereby restoring it to how its supposed to look.

I'm having no problems watching TV on my phone via orb after doing this upgrade, with CorePlayer.

Guest tyrelsackett

Is anyone else experiencing this with the new rom?

-the bottom 2 keyboards are the same as the XT9 Keyboard (the new name for Samsung keyboard)

-I am unable to enter text into a text field in Skyfire like when trying to log into MLB.TV

-sometimes when I press a program in the windows program list, there is no response the first couple times.

These are what I have noticed so far.

Guest Chugworth

Well... The flash process works. That much is evident. Don't count on the official release to be any less "risky" than this one. In fact, I'll bet the flashing code is just the same, except with a cleaner interface.

A few years ago I bricked my Verizon XV6700 by applying an official firmware update. Or at least I thought I bricked it. I didn't learn until I had sent it back that there was actually a way to re-flash it. And the problem was an error on my part. I was running Vista, and the update had not been tested on Vista. It should have still worked, but I think I forgot to uncheck "Allow USB connections" for Windows Mobile Device Center.

I suspect the issue that some of you are having is being caused by a conflict with some other USB devices you are using. Could be a poorly-written printer driver, or who knows what. And with all the possible hardware combinations out there, you can't guarantee that the official release won't have the same problem. That's probably why Verizon doesn't release new firmware updates as often as we would like.

Guest Apo11on
Don't count on the official release to be any less "risky" than this one. In fact, I'll bet the flashing code is just the same, except with a cleaner interface.

And with all the possible hardware combinations out there, you can't guarantee that the official release won't have the same problem.

what you're overlooking here is that when we're using official tools and official ROM to update firmware - it's risky, but not for us - for Verizon. Because if you brick your phone while executing all the steps according to the guide you'll still have your warranty intact, meaning Verizon will have to replace it...And if you backed up your stuff with SPB or other tool you lose nothing- the joke's on them.

when you're using leaked ROM and unofficial/beta tools - it voids your warranty and if Verizon's techs able to tell this how you bricked your phone - you're screwed.

Guest Solange82200
I've had the same problems you're talking about with PWMP going back to WM5. It simply is not a very flexible, sophisticated media player, doesn't handle aspect ratio very well, and when it gets it wrong, has no controls to override.

What tuner card are you using with Orb? PVR150? Note that everything that Orb sends out from this card will look to the player like standard NTSC 4:3. A lot of material is now HD, especially over sat (Dish, Direct), so you need to adjust on the client end and force it to display 16:9.

I don't bother with WMP on WM... I use CorePlayer, and as someone else said, there's no competition for this great media player. You can easily configure it to display what amounts to an anamorphic NTSC format at 16:9, thereby restoring it to how its supposed to look.

I'm having no problems watching TV on my phone via orb after doing this upgrade, with CorePlayer.

It could be my imagination, but it seems a video file that I am watching on Windows Media Player is super choppy, and it wasnt before. I tried downloading core player for the first time, and it's even worse. Can you give me some tips on how to get it to play better on Core PLayer?

Guest mikewinger

Probably something I overlooked in my excitement over all this ROM goodness, but when trying to load this on my Omnia using Vista, what must I do differently?

Guest aleis

TO THOSE THAT THINK THEY BRICKED THEIR PHONE!

try to reflash again. and again until it works!

our phones are basically like reformatting a hard drive.

its all about the software we put on afterwards.

try again and again until it works.

Guest punksux

I tried the flash and it got stuck on 15%. I was crapping myself because I didn't want to take my phone to Verizon. So I unplugged the cable and pulled the battery. It started up fine and booted into WinMo. I then did a hard reset and unplugged all other USB cables from my computer and tried again. It worked. So if you try it and it freezes don't try to flash again without doing a hard reset first.

Guest Chris H11
Probably something I overlooked in my excitement over all this ROM goodness, but when trying to load this on my Omnia using Vista, what must I do differently?

Nothing really, it's just Windows Mobile Device Center instead of ActiveSync when you turn off the USB.

Any thoughts on when the official rom is going to get released by Verizon?

I've heard rumors of early May

Guest mygraine

I have flashed HTC phones, but this is my first Sammt. I am on vista (as my netbook res was to small for the umdl program) in all honesty i barely read the pdf tutorial, I was so excited that i guzzled to glasses of my fav chilian wine and dove right on in. the only usb ports that i had used were for the phone and my mouse. i made sure that activesync had usb turned off and installed the modem driver. now i am staring at my phone and thinking that i need a victory glass coz it worked without a flaw..

Guest joex51
Does anyone know if having SPB Mobile shell will affect flashing this rom? And is it even possible to flash rom's on a mac?

Not sure what you mean about having SPB Mobile Shell?

After the flash yes it works, you should really Hard reset your phore before you flash it.

The only issue I am having is the GPS won't work, but I think that is because I have not gone outside long enough to test.

Guest xxmadhatter

just gonna throw this out there, take it or leave it, but pointui home2 blows spb mobile shell out of the water. you should think of changing to that after the update. runs so perfectly smooth. and so very functional. back to topic, GREAT work on creating the rom. if someone could link the donate button to the chef i'd greatly appreciate it.

Guest xPosTech
Well, I flashed my phone and it all works well, except for the Weatherbug. I installed a few apps (Garmin, Google Maps, Sling Player, ICS, and PHM), rebooted, and now Weatherbug doesn't work anymore. It just sits in that spinning circle waiting to load, but doesn't ever get there. I uninstalled ICS hoping that was the culprit, but no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't flashed yet but have been following the other thread (UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - where the flash was originally posted) for months. I thought PHM was resident on the CC20? Do you now have two instances of PHM on your phone?

Also Asintegra posted that CB06 to be the original ROM. I received my i910 via online order in early Feb. and I have ROM Version BJ28. I think the units started shipping with an even earlier ROM version; the first i910s shipped with WM6.0.

There is a slight chance that the 11 May release from Verizon will include WM6.5. woohoo1.gif No, I don't have evidence of that but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. An added incentive to wait waiting.gif but if you don't it will fit right over CC20.

I climbed inside a computer to repair it the first time in the sixties. wheelchair.gif Renaming Data Processing "Information Technology" happened about 20 years later, during the "Political Correctness" revolution that saw the Personnel Department become Human Resources.

Ted