New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Omega Ra
Got the tethering to work!, like most things with microsoft, reinstalling and soft reset did the trick. This forum is awesome!! (I thought I would probably get a response by late evening or something)

glad you got it working :excl: it is a helpful thing

Guest aamon17
I agree with you. The GPS does work but really bad. I guess a very crappy hardware. When using Garmin, the maximum I got is 4 satellites. I could not get the TomTom to work. I hope it is just software issue and can be fixed later.

I'm using Garmin & I get 6 satellites in less than a minute SITTING IN MY HOUSE! It's even less time outside. Great release!!!!

Guest necosino

As I have said previously..

THE MAY 11 ROM RELEASE (SEMI-OFFICIAL) WILL HAVE "IMPROVED GPS FUNCTIONALITY"!!!

So yes, it seems as though its a software issue, so sit tight and wait, and make due with what we have so far :-)

Or, you can try GPSGate or GPSServer to see if that improves your times (which it really does!)

Guest Solange82200

It seems weird that so many people are able to get the GPS working with no problem, yet some of us arent. It cant be just the amount of satellites nearby, that makes no sense. I live in the city for god's sake

Edit: Necosimo, I did a search for Gpsgate and came up with this:

http://www.getjar.com/products/11183/GpsGateforPocketPC

Is that it? If so, what device should I choose since the Omnia isnt listed? Thanks!

Edited by Solange82200

Guest i'mdangerous
Hey, I just noticed.. There's NO Office Mobile edition installed!?!? Where is Word, Excel, etc!?

they are under programs "office Mobile"

Guest theidoctor.org
can i use this rom for my Omnia i900 ??

thx for answer

i would not try it. the i910 is a cdma phone and some of the stuff might brick your phone... nto sure though

there should be enough roms out for the i900 that make it better than this firmware update though

Guest xPosTech
The first i910s shipped with 6.1, not winmo 6.0.

Thanks for the correction. I was bouncing from the i900 to the i910 threads and back. Possibly it was the i900? My apologies to the members.

Oldheimers. :excl:

Ted

Guest xPosTech
"Microsoft announced the next version of Windows Mobile software, Windows Mobile 6.5, at the Mobile World Congress held February 16, 2009. This version is not yet available from mobile operators. Toward the end of 2009, see your mobile operator’s web site for dates and details on when they will make Windows Mobile 6.5 phones available. Or sign up to receive "Your Mobile World," a monthly newsletter that will keep you current. Today, Windows Mobile 6.1 phones are the most up to date and are available from many mobile operators worldwide. "

That's straight from Windows website... It would be nice to have WM 6.5 packaged in, but I highly doubt that they'll release it for many months

Sometimes you say well . . .

Sometimes you say well Sh1t.

If it's gonna be that late in the year I doubt if we'll ever see a VZW WM6.5 update for our Omnia's. They will be concentrating on pushing the new phones ala Omnia HD etc. Not having WM6.5 will be an incentive (in their view) to trade up.

Thanks for dooming down my optimism. :excl:

Ted

Edited by xPosTech

Guest rdavis65

+1 for successful flash.

I just finished loading the rom and everything seems to be working just fine. Phone works, connected to my work exhcange server and synced, gps is working.

Thanks for the hard work.

Guest Wynnded

Nothing has changed in relation to my particular situation (brick). Just for the record, I want it known that I in no way blame anyone (other than myself for taking the chance, end result being whatever it is. I'm over it.) for what has happened to my phone. I made the choice to give this a try.

That being said, I've yet to give up on sorting it and will continue to work (and post) to that end until I see fit.

Thus far I can get minimal response from the unit. I pulled the battery and left it for a day. Installing the battery and pressing the power button results in an illuminated (in red) button. I left it in this fashion for 20 minutes. Pressing the reset button resulted in the same, (left for 20 min). I've attempted to re-flash with no reaction from either the phone or my computer. Removing and replacing the battery then plugging it into the home charger results in illumination of the power button (in red). I'm going to leave it thus for several hours to see if it appears to be taking a charge (i.e. the power button changes to green). I'm uncertain what to attempt next, but maybe some idea will present it's self.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that jaewon223 and pirate266 have informed me that they've resolved their issue(s) by "just restarting my phone and i did the flash from start WITHOUT touching my computer" (jaewon223) and "unplugging my phone from the computer and pressing the reset button by the power button." (pirate266).

In addition, I went to our only Verizon store saying that I couldn't get my phone to turn on and the guy didn't so much as ask what kind of phone it was. He gave me his card and told me to call the warranty department.

Edited by Wynnded

Guest jprowland
I'm using Garmin & I get 6 satellites in less than a minute SITTING IN MY HOUSE! It's even less time outside. Great release!!!!

Well, I can't boast as good success, but GPS works now! Got 3-7 satellites when I checked it at a local park today (very light tree cover). Still took a long time to get anything (~3 minutes on 3 sats at first with 100m accuracy). Eh, better than nothing, I still think it might just be faster to type in my coordinates after reading them off a stand-alone :excl: but still convenient if I'm out without it or, say, driving. Settings in Google Maps were COM8, 9600 baud but I flipped over to Windows-managed and didn't appear to lose anything. GPS setting is set to "on" instead of E911 only. I wasn't able to play with it much today but tomorrow I may experiment with some more apps like GCz, Garmin, and Tom Tom.

If it's gonna be that late in the year I doubt if we'll ever see a VZW WM6.5 update for our Omnia's. They will be concentrating on pushing the new phones ala Omnia HD etc. Not having WM6.5 will be an incentive (in their view) to trade up.

It's been made pretty clear that no existing WM 6.1 phones will ever get a 6.5 update when it is released. I think what people have been suggesting here is cooking together some unofficial releases with beta/leaked 6.5 based on this or future ROMs.

JP

Guest Chugworth

Wynnded: Try this: Disconnect the device from the computer and remove the battery. Open the flash utility, select the image file, and choose detect. Then re-insert the battery (after it has been out for at least 10 seconds), connect it to your computer, and hold the power button to turn it on. See if the flash program will detect it then.

I really have no idea if this would work. I'm just trying to think of a possible solution for you. You could also try doing a hard reset and see if that makes any difference.

Guest xxmadhatter

I once had an issue, before the Rom, when I tried turning on my phone it wouldn't get past the loading screen. I got so scared cause I would have to return it and get a new phone. but for some reason I thought of removing the memory sd card and hitting the reset button, and that fixed it! just a thought not sure if it would do anything at all. but it worked once maybe it could twice :-? post results if any

Guest nitrous9200
"Microsoft announced the next version of Windows Mobile software, Windows Mobile 6.5, at the Mobile World Congress held February 16, 2009. This version is not yet available from mobile operators. Toward the end of 2009, see your mobile operator’s web site for dates and details on when they will make Windows Mobile 6.5 phones available. Or sign up to receive "Your Mobile World," a monthly newsletter that will keep you current. Today, Windows Mobile 6.1 phones are the most up to date and are available from many mobile operators worldwide. "

That's straight from Windows website... It would be nice to have WM 6.5 packaged in, but I highly doubt that they'll release it for many months

http://i.gizmodo.com/5154217/all-windows-m...al-start-button

I doubt that it will come officially since Microsoft said all WM6.5 phones have to have the Start button on them, which the Omnia doesn't have. (The Omnia2, or whatever it will be called, should definitely have it)

Nevertheless, this is all exciting news, I have to wait until the end of May to get mine but hopefully VZW will have an official update (I have flashed many electronics before, but this one is just too expensive to take a risk with IMO!) And what does 6.5 bring, a new homescreen and honeycomb launcher thing (yawn) and then My Phone and the Marketplace (which I'm sure the geniuses at XDA will rip out so 6.1 devices can have it).

Guest Wynnded
Wynnded: Try this: Disconnect the device from the computer and remove the battery. Open the flash utility, select the image file, and choose detect. Then re-insert the battery (after it has been out for at least 10 seconds), connect it to your computer, and hold the power button to turn it on. See if the flash program will detect it then.

I really have no idea if this would work. I'm just trying to think of a possible solution for you. You could also try doing a hard reset and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the suggestion Chugworth, I'll try most anything. It didn't do a thing though. There's no response from either the flash program nor ActiveSync, nor the phone :excl: .

I'm open to other suggestions.

xxmadhatter: My SD card I removed prior to taking it to the local Verison in the case of my forgetting it if the employee wandered off with the phone.

Edited by Wynnded

Guest theidoctor.org
Thanks for the suggestion Chugworth, I'll try most anything. It didn't do a thing though. There's no response from either the flash program nor ActiveSync, nor the phone :excl: .

I'm open to other suggestions.

did you make sure to turn the OFF the "allow USB connection" on the active sync?

Guest Wynnded
did you make sure to turn the OFF the "allow USB connection" on the active sync?
Affirmative, I insure it every time that I try something.

Have I mentioned that when plugged into the charger, there's no display (aka the battery meter)?

Edited by Wynnded

Guest theidoctor.org
Affirmative, I insure it every time that I try something.

hmmm... i had that problem, but i just took it to the store and got a new one... i did have the replacement plan, but it was also under warranty.

i dont think a different battery will work cause they tried that at the store. i would charge it for a while to see if you get a green light. if after a day, you dont, then that should tell you that its bricked for sure.

Guest xxmadhatter

hmm :/ it's sad to hear about the bricks. I wish I could help some more but all I did was follow the pdf instructions. I didn't even do a hard reset like most people are suggesting to do first when I flashed and I still got a working phone. in fact I've been posting off my omnia using skyfire :excl:

Guest Chugworth

Wynnded: I've looked around for some way of getting your phone back in the bootloader mode, but so far I have not found anything. With my old XV6700, you could hold down Power and Record, then mash Reset, and it would bring the phone back to the bootloader mode even if it had a corrupted image. So far I have not found anything similar for the Omnia.

Guest theidoctor.org
Wynnded: I've looked around for some way of getting your phone back in the bootloader mode, but so far I have not found anything. With my old XV6700, you could hold down Power and Record, then mash Reset, and it would bring the phone back to the bootloader mode even if it had a corrupted image. So far I have not found anything similar for the Omnia.

try holding the camera button down for 10 seconds and then hold reset for 3 and release...

also try some other button combos....

Guest Itlooksfast

NEED HELP! Im trying to Flash my phone..Im following directions and when I clicked on Unified Image File (*.img) on the DOWNLOADING LOG i get this errror

"Error during opening image files!

-Platform not matched!

:Security option not matched! Choose the exact platform in the combo list!"

What Am I doing wrong?

Guest Wynnded

Thanks for those suggestion guys. I did stop by the local Verizon, they didn't even inquire as to what phone I had and told me to call the warranty department. Maybe I'll have to make the long venture to another town to try another store. Thanks for taking the time to look for ideas.

HEY! With the back cover removed, there is a small black square. I carefully removed this square and there's a button beneath it. Count to three and press? What's to lose......

Edited by Wynnded

Guest theidoctor.org

also press hold the reset button and press send and end key at the same time for a while and then try it the other way around... holding send and end and then press reset button