New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest alarants
Verizon is only USA :excl:

Anyway--this is a one way street. There is no backing up current ROM, AFAIK.

When I am updating my phone do I need to take SIM card off?

Guest bikercr
I guess it depends on where you are at and what phase of the moon there is.

When I use COM8 Gmaps, it starts out Initilizing GPS, and normally errors and says it cant find the GPS, When I use Windows Manage, it starts out with Seeking GPS satelights (0)... and eventually finds them.

I've started using BAF GPS Toggle when I know I will need the gps but I don't want to keep Gmaps whatever on It keeps the GPS on so it already has a fix. Screen shot shows it in between the weather and calendar.

I had a similar problem. Fixed by setting GPS in phone to 911 only, saving, then going back and resetting to Location On. Then, soft reset. After that, Google Maps worked fine.

Guest veja74
make sure samsung is able to connect with your computer before you begin the process.... if you can find saumsung's device connected, then it should work and you may be missing a step....

read it carefully!

Yep, thanks, checked that one too. If I go back to ActiveSync the Omnia can connect with the PC just fine. Problem only seems to be getting the installer to connect. I will be trying on a 3rd PC today that is running Vista and see if anything changes.

Guest pcs524

Anyone have any ideas on how to get VZ Navigator working again after the ROM upgrade?

I get an error then the program quits. ( Yes, I have GPS location turned on). :excl:

Works ok with Google Maps though.

Guest krelvinaz
Anyone have any ideas on how to get VZ Navigator working again after the ROM upgrade?

I get an error then the program quits. ( Yes, I have GPS location turned on). :excl:

If you think about it, it makes sense that it no longer works.

Before: The GPS was locked (encrypted), might have possibly provided the coordinates in reverse order.

After: The GPS is not locked, (Not encrypted), and all the other programs get the data in correct order.

VZNav unlocked and decrypted the data it received to work. Since it is no longer locked, it is trying to do something that is no longer there.

I assume there will be an update, but I doubt it will be released until the official new rom comes out.

VZNav was not a very good app when I played with it though. I stopped using it the first day I played with it and called and told VZW to cancel the susbscriptions and remove it from my account.

Guest necosino
When I am updating my phone do I need to take SIM card off?

This ROM is ONLY for the i910. Not the i900, or i908. If you have a SIM card, DON'T FLASH THIS ROM!!!

Guest veja74
OK, guys, I am finally resorting to your help on this one as I have not seen anybody else with this issue. I can't seem to get the Omnia to even get recognized by the intaller pack. I have put deactivated USB in ActiveSync, changed USB connection on the Omnia to mass storage, and when I click "detect" in the installer it gives four lines of "usbdev open failed" and then a final line of "PDA device not found". I have had these same results on 2 separate PCs both running XP. Now, I did switch the Omnia back to "ActiveSync" mode instead of "mass storage" mode and the installer just sits there when I click "detect" and doesn't do anything. I have made sure all the correct drivers are installed and I have rebooted both the PCs and the Omnia several times.

Any insight?

Thanks

OK, a little update... I have now tried this on my 3rd PC running Vista and I just can't seem to connect. I have flashed 2 other WM devices before so I am not necessarily new to this. Here's what's up:

-using image, installer and instructions from this site

-Omnia set to "mass storage" in settings/connections gives a "usbdev open failed" error when I click "detect" in the installer.

-Omnia set to "ActiveSync" in settings/connections installer just sits there doing nothing when I click "detect" in the installer.

-USB in unchecked in Activesync

-CDMA modem driver installed from files available online

-Omnia connects just fine to all 3 PC's using Activesync or WMDC so I know its not the device or the cable

What more am I missing? It's got to be something I am doing since I can't get it to connect on 3 PCs... been using WM devices since the first iPAQ but this kind of stuff really makes me feel like a noob :-(

Edited by veja74

Guest theidoctor.org
OK, a little update... I have now tried this on my 3rd PC running Vista and I just can't seem to connect. I have flashed 2 other WM devices before so I am not necessarily new to this. Here's what's up:

-using image, installer and instructions from this site

-Omnia set to "mass storage" in settings/connections gives a "usbdev open failed" error when I click "detect" in the installer.

-Omnia set to "ActiveSync" in settings/connections installer just sits there doing nothing when I click "detect" in the installer.

-USB in unchecked in Activesync

-CDMA modem driver installed from files available online

-Omnia connects just fine to all 3 PC's using Activesync or WMDC so I know its not the device or the cable

What more am I missing? It's got to be something I am doing since I can't get it to connect on 3 PCs... been using WM devices since the first iPAQ but this kind of stuff really makes me feel like a noob :-(

try using the directions on http://www.theidoctor.org/omnia.html it has all the directions step by step... they are pretty much the same, but it may be easier for you to read and see something you may be missing.

Edited by theidoctor.org

Guest Solange82200
Locate Me does not work for the i910 in Windows Live Maps.

Thanks Adrynalyne. Did you by chance do the registry hack that makes it so you have the External GPS icon in your System settings? If so, what do you have those set to?

If you haven't done the registry hack, could you please go here and tell me what you have as the registry key so that I can create it back in there?:

HKLM -> ControlPanel -> GPS Settings

I would like to make it so that I dont ahve the settings anymore, they confuse me lol

Guest Adrynalyne
Thanks Adrynalyne. Did you by chance do the registry hack that makes it so you have the External GPS icon in your System settings? If so, what do you have those set to?

If you haven't done the registry hack, could you please go here and tell me what you have as the registry key so that I can create it back in there?:

HKLM -> ControlPanel -> GPS Settings

I would like to make it so that I dont ahve the settings anymore, they confuse me lol

Just add a string value named Redirect.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest lazer9

Seem to have successfully flashed. Hard Reset.. Upon checking my Memory-Storage settings, it is only showing a Total of 92.11 MB. I see other screenshots posted and reports this is to be 128 or something thereabouts?

Guest Adrynalyne
Seem to have successfully flashed. Hard Reset.. Upon checking my Memory-Storage settings, it is only showing a Total of 92.11 MB. I see other screenshots posted and reports this is to be 128 or something thereabouts?

Those are cooked roms.

Guest lazer9
Those are cooked roms.

Oops. My bad. Guess I have been browsing too many different threads. :excl:

I'm not too pleased with my restored backup using SPB. While the programs are still in (Remove Programs) box and physically on My Storage, some are missing icons in the windows start menu folder like SKTools and Memmaid, maybe even some others. I did the restore in the "New Rom detected" mode or whatever from SPB.

No luck getting lock on with Google Maps or Garmin yet but haven't had enough time to stand outdoors for the initial sat search since I'm at work now. Did the "Location On" switch and soft reset under phone options so will see later. Is there supposed to be an additional GPS settings somewhere outside these programs in Settings to enable the com or Windows managed bit?

Guest Silvrswt
Oops. My bad. Guess I have been browsing too many different threads. :excl:

I'm not too pleased with my restored backup using SPB. While the programs are still in (Remove Programs) box and physically on My Storage, some are missing icons in the windows start menu folder like SKTools and Memmaid, maybe even some others. I did the restore in the "New Rom detected" mode or whatever from SPB.

No luck getting lock on with Google Maps or Garmin yet but haven't had enough time to stand outdoors for the initial sat search since I'm at work now. Did the "Location On" switch and soft reset under phone options so will see later. Is there supposed to be an additional GPS settings somewhere outside these programs in Settings to enable the com or Windows managed bit?

If you can't get your GPS to work try going into the program's settings (Live, Google Maps, Tom Tom) and setting GPS to COM 8 and baud 57600.

Guest lazer9
If you can't get your GPS to work try going into the program's settings (Live, Google Maps, Tom Tom) and setting GPS to COM 8 and baud 57600.

In Garmin, I only have Com 0, 6, and 9 available. Anyhoo, been screwing around so much with this thing since flashing, my battery just dropped to 40% so trying to charge via the USB cord here at work. Powered off and seems to be charging now.

Guest lazer9
super silly question kind of been on my mind for a few years...is that u in the avatar?

not for nothing :excl:

:excl: I wish I had his money. That is Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys.

Guest Rooster Misfit

i read threw some of the thread but its at 29 pages long and its mostly about gps (which im happy that it works)... i was wondering what programs come with the rom.. cause i find it highly annoying not havin that much room for memory yet there is all these programs i dont use already baked in to the rom that i cant do anything about

and now that gps works are people gonna be able to look in this rom to make gps work with custom roms?

Guest necosino
At the risk of sounding like I want something for nothing, I may be willing to take the bricked phones off a few folks hands. If you have a replacement for your phone on the way and are not for some reason returning it, or maybe you just bricked a second hand phone, please let me know if you might be willing to part with it for $0 or a reasonable number. I may want a stab at hacking them back to life. You would be donating something you can't use in the name of science! : )

Just let me know.

PM me here if you are willing. I'll at least pay the shipping so you won't be out a dime for the effort. It's worth experimenting on dead devices to see if I can find a method to shock them back to life.

S

Bricked phone = spare screen, battery, other parts in case something ever goes on your main one. Especially on a touch-screen device, the screens usually aren't covered by the warranty since they're considered "external hardware"

Guest vpw100
OK, so for those of you who have been following the 910 GPS thread know that, thanks to Azintegra, we have a new ROM for the i910. GPS still isn't working as of this post, but there are a few other updates that have piqued my interest :excl: .

I am wondering if anyone has had a sucessful, as in no issues with functionality, install of this new ROM?

*EDIT* This has worked fine for me and for some other members.

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! AFTER DOING THIS, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REVERT TO THE ORIGINAL UNLESS YOU HAVE A ROM TO FLASH BACK TO IF THEN. YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE! PLEASE FOLLOW THE GUIDE EXACTLY! IF IT IS NOT CHECKED IN THE SCREEN CAP, DO NOT CHECK IT ON YOUR COMPUTER. USERS ARE REPORTING THAT SELECTING INITIALIZE PHONE OR UPDATE BOOTLOADER MAY CAUSE THE PHONE CONNECTION AND DATA TO STOP WORKING. THIS IS FOR THE I910 ONLY!

Alignment___Adjustment.pdf

UMDL_OMNIA_v2.3.rar

Megaupload link for new Firmware

I have tried this update, but can't get the GPS to work with Google Maps, Windows Live, and now can't get VZ Navigator started as well; it can't initialize the GPS, and it is set to Location On. Any assistance would be appriciated. Thanks.

Guest DeepBlueEditor
Bricked phone = spare screen, battery, other parts in case something ever goes on your main one. Especially on a touch-screen device, the screens usually aren't covered by the warranty since they're considered "external hardware"

That is true and something to consider if you have a second unit on the way. On the other hand, it will likely be obsolete and up for a "New in 2" device before that happens. And, I doubt I would be taking mine apart, unless it was broken and I had nothing to loose but still, everyone should consider that as an option. I moved it to a new forum topic too.

I'm not looking to cheat anyone out of any opprotunities, just that if they have one going into a box or going to let their 3 year old carry it around, I could potentially find a way to bring them back to life for the good of the group in general. I am a 30+ year Broadcasting Engineer by the way.

Just sayin'...

S.

Guest veja74
try using the directions on http://www.theidoctor.org/omnia.html it has all the directions step by step... they are pretty much the same, but it may be easier for you to read and see something you may be missing.

Yep, followed those directions as well... However, I am going to delete everything I already have to do the flash and d/l everything from theidoctor and start over. I know this is not supposed to be this difficult. The only other thing I am noticing is every direction says to have the phone turned off, then plug it in when told to do so, then turn it on. Is it just me of doesn't everybody's Omnia automatically turn on when connected?

Edited by veja74