New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest DeepBlueEditor
I have tried this update, but can't get the GPS to work with Google Maps, Windows Live, and now can't get VZ Navigator started as well; it can't initialize the GPS, and it is set to Location On. Any assistance would be appriciated. Thanks.

If you had read all the posts, which I know is a really daunting task now, you would have read that the new ROM breaks the current VZ Nav functionality. On the other hand there are many things to set and try to get Google Maps working. Many of us have it working right now and are fairly happy with the true GPS functionality but many would like to get aGPS fully operational as well. It's all in the posts. Then again, it just plain seems to refuse to work for some folks.

All I had to do was the ROM flash per directions as recapped by idoc and set location to on. Download and run Google. Remember to start Google, set it by a window and walk away for at least 10 minutes the first time. Again, all this is in the various threads.

S

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest Solange82200
If you had read all the posts, which I know is a really daunting task now, you would have read that the new ROM breaks the current VZ Nav functionality. On the other hand there are many things to set and try to get Google Maps working. Many of us have it working right now and are fairly happy with the true GPS functionality but many would like to get aGPS fully operational as well. It's all in the posts. Then again, it just plain seems to refuse to work for some folks.

All I had to do was the ROM flash per directions as recapped by idoc and set location to on. Download and run Google. Remember to start Google, set it by a window and walk away for at least 10 minutes the first time. Again, all this is in the various threads.

S

Im one of those people who cant get google maps or windows live search to work. So far nothin works. I don't get if it's just my area (I live in Miami) or what...

Guest theidoctor.org
Yep, followed those directions as well... However, I am going to delete everything I already have to do the flash and d/l everything from theidoctor and start over. I know this is not supposed to be this difficult. The only other thing I am noticing is every direction says to have the phone turned off, then plug it in when told to do so, then turn it on. Is it just me of doesn't everybody's Omnia automatically turn on when connected?

no it shouldnt turn on when connected.. to turn your phone off, make sure you hold the power button until the verizon logo appears and your phone actually powers off...

Guest Hasher
no it shouldnt turn on when connected.. to turn your phone off, make sure you hold the power button until the verizon logo appears and your phone actually powers off...

Once quick question. If I do the hard reset .. and I backed up using SPB.. I should take out my 16Gb SD card first and then reinstall it after hard reset and upgrade right?

I am looking to take the plunge and try this .. so far hearing good things.

Let me know.

Guest jbrittmartin

pardon my noobness.

if i take the plunge and do this.... given that it works for my Verizon i910 and everything turns out ok... will i still be able to update my phone with any officially released updates put out by Verizon (which people on here seem to think are less than a month away)

what i'm saying is will doing this make it not possible to further update with official releases or will i be good to go if/when Verizon finally steps up and releases something similar in the future?

thanks.

Guest veja74

Awwwww crap.... wasn't thinking about THAT kind of turned off... Ok here we go again... sheeesh, I feel stoooooooopid!

Guest theidoctor.org
Once quick question. If I do the hard reset .. and I backed up using SPB.. I should take out my 16Gb SD card first and then reinstall it after hard reset and upgrade right?

I am looking to take the plunge and try this .. so far hearing good things.

Let me know.

yes i would take the sd card out....

im not sure what exactly the hard reset, resets... it may be just the program file and the other one... not the main storage files (someone correct me if im wrong)....

SPB backup is great!!!! you should have no problem getting your settings back.

Guest theidoctor.org
Awwwww crap.... wasn't thinking about THAT kind of turned off... Ok here we go again... sheeesh, I feel stoooooooopid!

lol... its ok. im sure others have had that problem!

Guest veja74
lol... its ok. im sure others have had that problem!

Yep, sure enough, that did it! Uploading now... thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!! OK, I'll stop now.

Guest veja74
Yep, sure enough, that did it! Uploading now... thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!! OK, I'll stop now.

And it's done! chalk up one more successful flash... and how many minutes since my last post? Really very easy when you stop being an idiot :excl: :excl: :excl:

Guest jbrittmartin

pardon my noobness.

if i take the plunge and do this.... given that it works for my Verizon i910 and everything turns out ok... will i still be able to update my phone with any officially released updates put out by Verizon (which people on here seem to think are less than a month away)

what i'm saying is will doing this make it not possible to further update with official releases or will i be good to go if/when Verizon finally steps up and releases something similar in the future?

thanks.

Guest Tim-H
pardon my noobness.

thanks.

It shouldn't effect updating in the future, and if it does you could always revert back to the old rom and update from there.

I should add that nobody will really know until the official update is out. My bet is on no problems.

Edited by Tim-H

Guest dumien

Everything works except VZ Nav does not work for me anymore. I re-installed it twice and every time I start the app, it says "There was a problem initializing the GPS. Please exit and restart VZ Navigator".

Google maps works for me though.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Tim-H

You'll probably have to wait for the official release. The main point of most of us doing this update was so we could use a 3rd party GPS or nav program. The other benefits were just a bonus.

Guest blazingwolf
im not sure what exactly the hard reset, resets... it may be just the program file and the other one... not the main storage files (someone correct me if im wrong)....

A hard reset only affects the phone main memory. It does nothing to My Storage or to a MicroSD card.

Guest krelvinaz
Has anyone noticed a difference in battery performance with the new ROM?

Its been running out faster.... because I've been using the GPS more.

Really hard to compare without going back to my previous usage patterns.

Guest jbrittmartin
well just bit the bullet....

in the process of doing this right now.

fingers crossed.

SUCCESS.

:excl:

well that was easy...

thanks to ALL involved with figuring that out and the peeps in this thread.

i'm amazed by your genius. :excl:

CHEERS

Guest jbrittmartin

i made a backup before i did this on SPB Backup...

should i even use the backup? it's telling me that it's not recommended cause it was made on a different device.

Guest veja74

should i even use the backup? it's telling me that it's not recommended cause it was made on a different device.

I did my backup using Sprite Backup and when I did my restore I was able to use "merge" mode which is what you use after performing any kind of update. Mine restored just fine with all my progs and settings so I didn't have to reconfigure anything :excl: SPB should have a similar mode.

Guest Solange82200

Can anyone who has the GPS working tell me if they have the power save settings on? Like the wifi one and the other one which I think dims the screen? The reason why I ask is that Im in my house, and I decided to uncheck them both and try google maps. And it seemed as if google maps found one satellite. Before, it would just give me some long number like 7500284309. And I have really bad signal in my house, so Im thinking that if I try this when I go out tomorrow, it may work? Im just curious if most of you use the power save stuff...

EDIT: Disregard my super retarded post above. Maxx over in Howardforums told me I have to zoom in to my general location (duh) which I did, and I got 5 satellites near a window in my house!!!!!!! It works great! I should have known I was doing something wrong lol. If anyone else is having trouble, make sure you do that. Zoom in to at least your county. Now I know why it was showing 78204854054 satellites, because it was searching the whole freaking USA for me!

Edited by Solange82200

Guest jbrittmartin

i went through with the SPB restore.

had a few errors, but all in all it worked like a charm.

Guest Lakers805

I have not had time to got through this topic page by page due to the fact it takes a while using a phone with no reception in my house hardly. My computer isnt working but thats a issue of my own lol. Any I have a quick question. I have the new rom installed on my i910 and if i were to do a hard reset after this (1) Will it go back to the first rom when i purchased the phone. (2) Will it affect the gps that everyone has worked so hard on and stop it from working. Im not to much of a technical person so they my sound like stupid questions to some of you but i REALLY have no clue lol sorry

Guest Solange82200
I have not had time to got through this topic page by page due to the fact it takes a while using a phone with no reception in my house hardly. My computer isnt working but thats a issue of my own lol. Any I have a quick question. I have the new rom installed on my i910 and if i were to do a hard reset after this (1) Will it go back to the first rom when i purchased the phone. (2) Will it affect the gps that everyone has worked so hard on and stop it from working. Im not to much of a technical person so they my sound like stupid questions to some of you but i REALLY have no clue lol sorry

Your phone will already be hard reset after the ROM, meaning you will have the new Rom and all the manufacturer's original settings will be on there. However if later on down the road you want to do a hard reset, it will just revert back to the way it was AFTER you flashed your phone. It will still be the new ROM. Meaning that if you flash it, there is no way to get the old ROM back if you dont like it. Just so you know, VZ navigator doesnt work on the new ROM. Otherwise, I would say it's worth it.