New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest blazingwolf
I have an Omnia i910 with Verizon. I plan to flash the new ROM as I don't think Verizon will put a new one out. But before I do I wanted to experiment with making registry changes. This may be a stupid question but....I had bad luck with registry changes under windows. My question is if you mess up a change on the Omnia will it go back to default on a hard reset? or is there a way to undo registry changes if things don't quite go as planned?

Yes, it will be back to factory default if you hard reset. After you flash it will go back to the base ROM you have flashed to.

Guest necosino
wats a Unified image file(*.img)

Go here, it will explain how to flash the leaked CC20 ROM .img (image). The image is just a data type, you don't open it.

ONLY for Verizon i910...

Guest SparkyAZ

Is the GPS unlocked as a result of the new ROM? For me, this is the primary reason for installing it. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Sparky

Guest Lokonopa

Finally got around to restoring and then flashing my Omnia i910. Absolutely no issues so far. Though, Microsoft's My Phone beta is giving a few new errors, but that could be because it's already synced with my "other" phone before flashing. Edit: MS My Phone works fine, synchronized and all my text messages and contacts have returned.

Another satisfied customer.

I apologize if these have been mentioned before:

Noted Performance Increase: The Opera cache is, by default after flashing, stored on the Storage Card. I don't know if anyone else saw this and I don't remember seeing it after reading this entire thread while on a 13 hour road trip. Captivating. Edit:Internet attachments default to storage as well.

Noted Performance Increase: The performance is VERY significant. On the fresh hard reset before flashing, it took several moments for the Windows directory to pop up, same as it was before the hard reset. After the ROM upgrade, the Windows directory takes only a few seconds. So, when there are many files in one directory, it will not take 5-10 minutes for the listing in File Explorer. Now I don't have to fear trying to navigate to the Start Menu or Startup Programs in the Windows directory!

If it hasn't been answered yet, NETCF v3.5 is not on by default, but 2.0 is already installed, though.

Now to reinstall S2SU and iFonz to show my smug managers with their pretty iPhones that the Omnia can look good and not have all the sad limitations. I don't need a laptop while I have the Omnia i910.

Edit: GPS with Google Maps and Latitude works great. Also, after flashing, the scroll bars, default 13x20 now, seem to be set much larger for easier scrolling.

Request: Can anyone verify the original pixels height and width of the bars pre-flash?

Edited by Lokonopa

Guest JamRowZ
Firgured I would post this here too...

If you do the update and you cannot connect to the internet and/or make/receive calls becasue you clicked something you shouldn't have during the update this may fix it for you.

I actually failed on *228 to program my phone and decided to just try again a few minutes later and the second time was successful so that's another option worth a try.

Guest hobodo6

hey im new to this forum .. but i followed it for downloading the firmware update.. everything went well i have the update and things look amazing however, it slowed my texting down tremendously.. i don't know what went on there but i went a day with it and trying to get used to it, and i can't. it's honestly extremely annoying and would like to know if i am able to fix it. if not then i would like to know how to remove this update from my device. thank you .. name is rick btw. if anyone knows how please shoot me an email.

at [email protected]..

thank you .

Guest hobodo6

hey im new to this forum .. but i followed it for downloading the firmware update.. everything went well i have the update and things look amazing however, it slowed my texting down tremendously.. i don't know what went on there but i went a day with it and trying to get used to it, and i can't. it's honestly extremely annoying and would like to know if i am able to fix it. if not then i would like to know how to remove this update from my device. thank you .. name is rick btw. if anyone knows how please shoot me an email.

at [email protected]..

thank you .

Guest Mrdubyah

Those of you patiently waiting for the official release of the new Omnia ROM should read this. Here is the response I got from Samsung on 6/24/09 when I asked them when they would unlock my GPS:

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your input and suggestions on how to make a great product even better. We are unable to speculate when/if this software revision with this feature might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion. Please feel free to check back with us periodically for updates.

We do thank you for your interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

Leah

I guess it's time to flash the leaked ROM.

Guest cubsbaseball24

hey im new to all this but i was wonderin i been lookin around for a link to download the omnia unlock for the gps cause i just bought one and well i been lookin around tryin to find the best tricks to use for everyday use i was wonderin if anyone could help me out

Guest necosino
hey im new to all this but i was wonderin i been lookin around for a link to download the omnia unlock for the gps cause i just bought one and well i been lookin around tryin to find the best tricks to use for everyday use i was wonderin if anyone could help me out

Start here. You need to flash a new ROM (like an operating system) to unlock the GPS. Just go slow and read the entire post before starting, then just start at the top and follow it step by step. It's pretty fool proof :D

Guest scubamike

I flashed successfully this morning. This undertaking made me more than a little nervous with all the stories of failure. I have a couple of tips that at least apply to Vista since I got the "failure" warnings and "0 devices found" the first time around. The problem: it found the driver for the first time when I turned my phone on after loading the image and plugging it in. The ROM loader is trying to reflash the phone and Windows is just learning how to interact with it.

Tip: After disabling USB connections on the PC and setting the USB to mass storage on the phone plug the phone in to the computer WITHOUT running the UDML. Let Windows get it set up. Shut the phone COMPLETELY off and start again. It will work like a charm after that.

A couple of observations:

The screen rotate feature is much crisper and snappier. I did a Sprite backup (level 1 merge) and fully restored my phone back to its condition before the flash. It took a couple of tries to sync it, but worked fine. Of course, go to phone -> services -> GPS -> change settings -> check "show my location" -> SOFT RESET and Bing/Live Search and Google maps will work beautifully.

I have noticed that occasionally my phone goes into "hyper" sleep. I isn't completely off (holding the power button doesn't rouse it) and, at the same time, I can't simply wake it up. I haven't had any issues with my text messaging so far.

I did have to edit my existing internet connection and add the username: [email protected] password: vzw. It worked fine after that.

The first thing i did was *228 option 2 just to be safe and confirm everything was operational.

As far as the UDML goes, DON'T CLICK OR CHECK ANYTHING NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION ON theidoctor.org/omnia.html. There were a lot of buttons, blanks, and check boxes that baffled me, but I just concerned myself with the simple install instructions.

I am not expert, but, then again, you don't have to be. This really couldn't be much easier.

Guest necosino
I flashed successfully this morning. This undertaking made me more than a little nervous with all the stories of failure. I have a couple of tips that at least apply to Vista since I got the "failure" warnings and "0 devices found" the first time around. The problem: it found the driver for the first time when I turned my phone on after loading the image and plugging it in. The ROM loader is trying to reflash the phone and Windows is just learning how to interact with it.

Tip: After disabling USB connections on the PC and setting the USB to mass storage on the phone plug the phone in to the computer WITHOUT running the UDML. Let Windows get it set up. Shut the phone COMPLETELY off and start again. It will work like a charm after that.

A couple of observations:

The screen rotate feature is much crisper and snappier. I did a Sprite backup (level 1 merge) and fully restored my phone back to its condition before the flash. It took a couple of tries to sync it, but worked fine. Of course, go to phone -> services -> GPS -> change settings -> check "show my location" -> SOFT RESET and Bing/Live Search and Google maps will work beautifully.

I have noticed that occasionally my phone goes into "hyper" sleep. I isn't completely off (holding the power button doesn't rouse it) and, at the same time, I can't simply wake it up. I haven't had any issues with my text messaging so far.

I did have to edit my existing internet connection and add the username: [email protected] password: vzw. It worked fine after that.

The first thing i did was *228 option 2 just to be safe and confirm everything was operational.

As far as the UDML goes, DON'T CLICK OR CHECK ANYTHING NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION ON theidoctor.org/omnia.html. There were a lot of buttons, blanks, and check boxes that baffled me, but I just concerned myself with the simple install instructions.

I am not expert, but, then again, you don't have to be. This really couldn't be much easier.

Everything you noted is already spelled out in black and white in my post at the beginning I talk about having the drivers installed.. The link is in the post about yours.. :D

Guest scubamike
Everything you noted is already spelled out in black and white in my post at the beginning I talk about having the drivers installed.. The link is in the post about yours.. :D

I've spent the last two days reading ALL 64 pages to ensure that I didn't "brick" it. Not everything was spelled out and certainly not all in one post. At least it must not have been spelled out because many of the questions that I answered were asked REPEATEDLY through out this whole thread without clear answers in many instances. In fact, the link in question is posted about 100 times in this thread. Still the questions keep getting asked. I just remember the concerns I had before doing it even after reading this entire thread and I want to give others confidence.

Guest necosino
I've spent the last two days reading ALL 64 pages to ensure that I didn't "brick" it. Not everything was spelled out and certainly not all in one post. At least it must not have been spelled out because many of the questions that I answered were asked REPEATEDLY through out this whole thread without clear answers in many instances. In fact, the link in question is posted about 100 times in this thread. Still the questions keep getting asked. I just remember the concerns I had before doing it even after reading this entire thread and I want to give others confidence.

You will need to install the drivers before trying to flash, otherwise UMDL will not be able to find your phone.

From XP: Install from the included verizon software CD that comes with the phone

From Vista/7: Just plug in normally (don't change activesync settings or try to use UMDL or anything). Windows will download and install the drivers automatically. (Note: After Windows downloads and installs the drivers, you will still need to disconnect your phone, turn it off, and disable the activesync USB settings before flashing!)

From the first part of my post :D

Guest Nordic Easter
From the first part of my post :D

Thinking of doing this, However I certenlt do not want to screw up. Anyone done this in the seattle are that might want to help a low tec guy sup up his phone?

Guest necosino
Thinking of doing this, However I certenlt do not want to screw up. Anyone done this in the seattle are that might want to help a low tec guy sup up his phone?

Start here. You need to flash a new ROM (like an operating system) to unlock the GPS. Just go slow and read the entire post before starting, then just start at the top and follow it step by step. It's pretty fool proof :D

Guest scubamike

Just a quick update about the new ROM putting my phone into "hyper" sleep. It turned out to be my Wisbar Advanced Desktop. I disabled it and the new ROM, so far, is more stable than my stock ROM, seriously! WAD not working is dissappointing, but I'll do a little research. On a different note, the 1% battery driver (1024) that used to always kick on my I910 backlight works flawlessly now, again, so far. Flashing was one of the best decisions I've made with this phone to date.

Guest deadandgone111

I keep clicking on the link to download the rom and everytime I do it brings me to a page telling me that it can not be found. I dont know what to do or where to find the new rom?

Guest trymelatr
I keep clicking on the link to download the rom and everytime I do it brings me to a page telling me that it can not be found. I dont know what to do or where to find the new rom?

Me too...can it be posted somewhere else? I am expecting my phone tomorrow and would love to get the GPS going right away.