Discuss / Research SPB Mobile Shell 3

Guest vishalm

Guest vishalm

So, a trial version is finally out. For many who have taken the plunge to test it, or are about to, the wait is over.

I myself have installed it and will post my opionions about it below.

For those who haven't seen the spam of new threads about it, here a quick overview.

Earlier today, I believe, build 6362 of SPB Mobile Shell V3.0.0 was leaked and spread across the internet.

The installer was found on SPB's server is as of yet has not been removed.

Link: http://softspb.com/ext/mobileshell/6362-DF...hell3_setup.exe

The file has also been uploaded to many file hosting site however I find it pointless to post any as the official site seems to work.

Update: File removed from SPB server...

Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RRPNBFDC

So, my experience so far:

The official installer is a .exe installer that needs to be run from a PC with Active Sync or Mobile Central.

It is similar to most SPB installer where it allows a Trial, or a registered version by providing it with a serial code.

As I prefer Cab files over .exe installers, I grabbed the Cab during the installation.

Unfortunately it wanted to perform an update to MS2, so make sure you back up your Program Files and Registry.

Important Note: I believe the installation wiped out many of my contacts and calander events. Make sure you backup just incase it happens to you aswell. I haven't heard anyone else complain about that, so it could be something else, but better safe then sorry.

After using it for an hour or so, I have to say I do like it, and I'm not going back to v2.

I was expecting it to be slightly unresponsive especially in the Cube feature, however I was totally wrong. It is dead responsive.

I dont like the colour too much and will look into changing the theme.

The Professional Layout seems uncustomisable from the GUI but I'm sure you can in a similar fasion to MS2.

As for the Lifestyle Layout, well since I say the video I was never a fan. I screen is enough for me.

Maybe it will grow on me, I hope it does, as it does allow preety much full customisability.

But there is a lack of so called Widgets at the moment.

I've not liked SPB Contacts from day 1, and I still dont in MS3. I use Inesoft Phone to manage phone related stuff, so SPB stuff is just bloatware and doesn't do what I want. (Custom Number Types).

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I open the call log, it doesn't show names, just the number, and the type.

As for the Cube, its really nice, theme is not the best, but its ok. It doesn't seem like you can add/remove screen from the Cube. There 12 of them, and I wouldn't touch about 5.

Moving on to 3rd party apps. An improvement here, SMS loads SMS-Chat, Call Log loads SPB Call Log, and not the Systems default, Alarms opens windows alarm, and calander opens SPB Calander.

So a slight improvement but still alot to do here.

Thats it for now, More later if I find more to talk about.

Feel free to post your opinions and even screenshots.

Thanks

Update: I just realised how to change the theme. "Settings > Personal > Today" and select a theme from there. The most popular is black, so simply set the theme to DiamondQVGA or a similar black theme. Looks much nicer now :excl:

Update: I've been playing around with it for quite a while now, and am starting to like it. Infact the Lifestyle layout has grown on me and i've customised it to my liking.

People seem to be asking for screenshots, so here they are.

17/04/2009: Black Theme File

professionallayout1.pnglifestylelayout1.pngcube1.png

launcherfav1.pnglauncherorganised1.pngcontactsfav.png

contactscarousel.pngcontactsc.pngcalllog.png

Cube/Panels: I earlier mentioned that you couldn't add/remove panels from the cube, fortunately I was wrong.

Head over to HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Spb Mobile Shell>NowScreen>Panels

Look inside the numbered folders to see the names of the panels. To remove a panel, simple delete the folder.

Note: Folders are in a 0 based assending number order. It needs to stay that way, or it doesnt work. e.g if you delete folder 4, rename all other folder to compensate for the missing 4. 5>4, 6>5..........

As for adding, other panels, you just need to put in names of screens ":xxxxxx" and see if it works.

SPB Menu: Seems like SPB are enjoying hiding features. Here's how to unlock the SPB Menu so you can add and remove links as you wish.

Navigate to: HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Menu>Root

In there you will find folders that correspond to the menu items in the SPB Menu. E.G: Internet

You need to go into the folder and add a DWORD value called "Add" with the value of "1".

Once this is done, go to SPB Menu and open the Menu Catagory. Click the options button (bottom right) and you will see 3 new buttons. :excl:

Here is a tip from 3shirts, it shows you how to add another Application Category to the menu. - Thank you

Edited by vishalm

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

Thnx for the update I got v2 and SPB backup so will try later, at least things are way easier to manage on PDA than a computer :excl: .

Guest Turborepu

has touch friendly task manager too and you can avoid using the wm start menu by overiding it with the spb launcher. you can use the 3d carousel or use panels instead. it has landscape support. so far im liking what i see. i can only imagine it will be much better once the skinning and widgets are figured out.

Edited by Turborepu

Guest somedude

i installed it, played with it for about 20 minutes, and deleted it.

Its just too much going on. Too many screens to flick through. Was it really necessary to have two seperate layouts?

I like a ui to be simple and nice looking. Thats it. I kind of like spb 2.0 better.

Guest chokia

i like the lifestyle screen too but to make my own wallpaper nicely fit, it requires weird images ratio of 960x748 series. Your existingwallpaper surely will look like it is displayed top right portion of if.

any workaround?

i hate the black theme, any other color available?

Edited by chokia

Guest vishalm
yeah it is pretty awesome, now I just have to get that black theme'

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=943564

i like the lifestyle screen too but to make my own wallpaper nicely fit, it requires weird images ratio of 960x748 series. Your existingwallpaper surely will look like it is displayed top right portion of if.

any workaround?

Assuming you image is 240x400, try tiling it onto the higher resolution. This way MS3 will be happy with the bg and so will ur device. It wont look too nice when sliding through Lifestyle pages unless you put in some sort of transitioning between the tiles.

Guest matthoop11

You say that "SMS loads SMS-Chat" and I cannot get this to work.

Are you talking about on the main screen where the icon for "Messaging" (that also shows the number of unread texts), links to SMS-Chat instead of the default program?

If so, how can I do it?

Guest vishalm
You say that "SMS loads SMS-Chat" and I cannot get this to work.

Are you talking about on the main screen where the icon for "Messaging" (that also shows the number of unread texts), links to SMS-Chat instead of the default program?

If so, how can I do it?

Navigate to:

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Shell>Rai>:MSINBOX

Change key labeled 1 to you SMS-Chat exe.

e.g: "\Program Files\VITO\SMS-Chat\SMSChat.exe"

Note: Dont forget the "", they are important.

Restart and try.

Guest jlc0005

Thanks so much for the info & screen shots! I did a demo on my Axim of MS2, but never installed it on my Omnia. I've been waiting impatiently for MS3 and I am getting more excited now that I see something real.

Thanks again. It looks very cool!

Guest Omega Ra
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?amp;sho...st&p=943564

Assuming you image is 240x400, try tiling it onto the higher resolution. This way MS3 will be happy with the bg and so will ur device. It wont look too nice when sliding through Lifestyle pages unless you put in some sort of transitioning between the tiles.

I realized it has a built in theme thing and it has black :excl: among others...on a different note...where would I put more ringtones in? I assume the "My Ringtones" folder in my documents?

Guest vishalm
Thanks so much for the info & screen shots! I did a demo on my Axim of MS2, but never installed it on my Omnia. I've been waiting impatiently for MS3 and I am getting more excited now that I see something real.

Thanks again. It looks very cool!

Your most welcome. I've been using MS2 since I got the omnia, 5ish months, and have also been waiting for MS3. Even though it has its few problems, I'm totally happy and will be using this untill there is an update. :excl:

I realized it has a built in theme thing and it has black :excl: among others...on a different note...where would I put more ringtones in? I assume the "My Ringtones" folder in my documents?

Yeah, erh not really sure about that theme option, i have a black image which i use as a BG and am also using the DiamondQVGA.tsk file. i have set the theme to black but i dont know if thats making a difference.

As for ringtones, its seems to be picking up from the windows folder, i would assume it would also pick up from \My Documents\My Ringtones and hopefully \My Storage\My Documents\My Ringtones.

Guest djtosh

installed and lovin it, lets hope that imarche fella starts workin on spb3 skin packs, eidgets look customisable, 1st impressions r excellent

Guest vishalm
installed and lovin it, lets hope that imarche fella starts workin on spb3 skin packs, eidgets look customisable, 1st impressions r excellent

Just looked at the theme files. they looks very similar to MS2 so it shouldnt be too difficult to port them over.

We probably wont see too many themes untill a official public release.

Guest Turborepu

just made a quick 960\748 image and it works nice.. just drop into the spb folder then can select it. its not bad if you happen to have the high rez originals of your favorite wallpapers..

Guest Turborepu

you guys might have to try vjbrisk for now till people start modding this program. that might be a while since they will probably wait for official releases.

Guest FerdiBorbon

SPB shell 3 is too messy i think...too many screens etc..i like he features and all good work for SPB, but pointUI is better option for me,

Guest 3shirts

Another tip for customising the launcher. If you want to create another folder in that bottom right blank space:

- Go to HKLM\Software\SPB Software House 2\SPB Mobile Shell\Menu\Root\

- Create a new key called whatever you want your new folder to be.

- Copy the contents of the 'My Shortcuts' key into the one you just created

- Change the value of the 'Text' string to be the name of the folder.

Changing the 'Index' value changes which position in the grid the folder appears (0 is top left, 8 is bottom right). The 'Image' value will change the icon as follows:

0 = Toolbox

1 = Phone with envelope

2 = Globe

3 = Calendar

4 = Shortcuts

5 = Program Folder

6 = Camera and clapperboard

7 = Cog/Spanner

You can also rename any of the existing folders by going to that same key and changing the 'Text' string in the relevant key. You don't have to rename the key itself but may want to for consistency.

Edited by 3shirts

Guest tammam

Not had it for long yet, but first impressions are that it's excellent. Would love better integration with Samsung Omnia touch software and other programs such as media players etc. It might be possible to customise the program to do that though.