Start HERE Before Flashing a cooked ROM (Verizon i910)

Guest necosino

Guest necosino
Hey Necosino when it says to disable activesync usb connections on your computer what exactly does it mean. consider myself pretty tech savy (dont we all) but must admit i havent a clue how to check that.

See that little "Enter Keyword" thread search box in the bottom left? ;)

See this post: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=findpo...amp;pid=1012066

It has a picture of what you need to get into. It depends if you're on Vista/7 or XP though.

For Vista/7, just type "Connection settings" in the start menu and it will come up.

In XP, open Activesync, then go to options, connections, and uncheck the Allow USB Connection option.

Guest aace
Now to flash a custom ROM (Such as from Wozzer, BW, Adryn, etc etc) Simply download their "xxxxx.bin" ROM (it won't be an .img this time, and you'll get it from the first page in their postings).

Follow the guide through step 4, but instead of clicking the Unified Image button, just click PDA and find the .bin file for the ROM you want to flash (that you just downloaded!)

And then follow the rest of the guide the exact same way ;)

Enjoy!

have any one successfully flashed using USB 1.1? and 2.0 a must?

I'm in a bind all old pc xp pro sp3 with usb 1.1 and mac book pro os x tiger (10.4.11) with parallel (w/ xp pro sp3) and no boot camp.

please advice and thanks in advance.

Guest aace
Now to flash a custom ROM (Such as from Wozzer, BW, Adryn, etc etc) Simply download their "xxxxx.bin" ROM (it won't be an .img this time, and you'll get it from the first page in their postings).

Follow the guide through step 4, but instead of clicking the Unified Image button, just click PDA and find the .bin file for the ROM you want to flash (that you just downloaded!)

And then follow the rest of the guide the exact same way ;)

Enjoy!

I'm in a bind all old pc xp pro sp3 with usb 1.1 and mac book pro os x tiger (10.4.11) with parallel (w/ xp pro sp3) and no boot camp.

Guest necosino

I'd say 90% of the failed flashes we've had were caused by being on USB 1.1...

So take that for what its worth, and remember that no one here is responsible if you brick your phone ;)

On that note: You don't have any friends with a newer computer?

Guest aace

So take that for what its worth, and remember that no one here is responsible if you brick your phone ;)

OK point taken... and will take full responsibility for my own action.

funny you ask, I used to build PCs and got "tired" of it and switched to mac and told every one else I knew and ask for pc to get a mac...

now have to borrow my daughter's mac with leopard and install boot camp....

thanks for advice.

Guest aace

So take that for what its worth, and remember that no one here is responsible if you brick your phone :)

necosino,

I found a laptop (1.19 GHz w/ 768 MB RAM - acceptable?) xp pro sp3 with USB2.0

getting ready to take the dive.... I read thru the different post... any other advise?

still not sure who's ROM to use - looking at adrynalyne; WoZZeR; Blaingwolf; BamDastard and bgill55 -I feel like a kid in the candy store and it's free for all! :o

main thing for me was wm6.5 and close to stock + GPS (had enough of vz's lies ;) )... any suggestion? :D

how long does the process take? what are sign to watch out for? errors?

sorry for so many questions.

thanks again in advance!

arlie

Guest necosino
necosino,

I found a laptop (1.19 GHz w/ 768 MB RAM - acceptable?) xp pro sp3 with USB2.0

getting ready to take the dive.... I read thru the different post... any other advise?

still not sure who's ROM to use - looking at adrynalyne; WoZZeR; Blaingwolf; BamDastard and bgill55 -I feel like a kid in the candy store and it's free for all! :)

main thing for me was wm6.5 and close to stock + GPS (had enough of vz's lies ;) )... any suggestion? :D

how long does the process take? what are sign to watch out for? errors?

sorry for so many questions.

thanks again in advance!

arlie

Just go slow, follow the guide step by step, and don't get ahead of yourself.

For a ROM, after flashing CC20, go check out Wozzer's 6.5 Stock ROM, it is basically WinMo 6.5 + all the Verizon stuff, it's as close to a stock + WinMo 6.5 as you'll get.

Guest aace
Just go slow, follow the guide step by step, and don't get ahead of yourself.

For a ROM, after flashing CC20, go check out Wozzer's 6.5 Stock ROM, it is basically WinMo 6.5 + all the Verizon stuff, it's as close to a stock + WinMo 6.5 as you'll get.

OK - WoZZer's 6.5 - do we get true GPS (I guess I will use google maps - so I can dump VZnav ;) )?

I'll get every thing ready and do this tonight at home.

thanks again!

arlie

Guest aace
Yes, the CC20 ROM unlocks GPS. The custom ROMs are built off it and only change the "operating system," per se

just curious which version ROM you using? if I may ask why as well?

vz / samsung / wm6.x seem to have a lot of redundant apps - media players; web browser and such.

I would like to pick and choose (if at all possible) which apps to install (or remove) with stock version and then theres Wozzer's M2D seems appealing, but not understanding or knowing some of apps (like TouchFLO, Total Commander) he have make it a little hard to decide - stock or M2D.

charging omnia for tonight's make over, got activesync 4.5 installed, made sure all up to date on M$ patches... do I still need anything from CD that came from vz for omnia i910?

thanks again.

Guest necosino
just curious which version ROM you using? if I may ask why as well?

vz / samsung / wm6.x seem to have a lot of redundant apps - media players; web browser and such.

I would like to pick and choose (if at all possible) which apps to install (or remove) with stock version and then theres Wozzer's M2D seems appealing, but not understanding or knowing some of apps (like TouchFLO, Total Commander) he have make it a little hard to decide - stock or M2D.

charging omnia for tonight's make over, got activesync 4.5 installed, made sure all up to date on M$ patches... do I still need anything from CD that came from vz for omnia i910?

thanks again.

To Install: The drivers off the CD

I use Adryn's Lite WinMo 6.5 v23001 (on PPCGeeks.com). I don't use Titanium (WinMo 6.5's default interface) and use a lot of my own programs (For example, Rescoe Explorer instead of Total Commander). I use SPB MS3, so I don't need a lot of the Titanium Panels and utilities that a lot of the cooks include. I was experiencing a lot of slow down installing Mobile Shell 3 over some 6.5 ROMs, but on the Adryn's lite ROM, it is MUCH faster and more stable, so I kept it ;)

Guest aace
To Install: The drivers off the CD

I use Adryn's Lite WinMo 6.5 v23001 (on PPCGeeks.com). I don't use Titanium (WinMo 6.5's default interface) and use a lot of my own programs (For example, Rescoe Explorer instead of Total Commander). I use SPB MS3, so I don't need a lot of the Titanium Panels and utilities that a lot of the cooks include. I was experiencing a lot of slow down installing Mobile Shell 3 over some 6.5 ROMs, but on the Adryn's lite ROM, it is MUCH faster and more stable, so I kept it ;)

First thanks for your time and patience as well.

I was reading up on BW's R&R WM6.5 v9 (have you tried it? what do you think?) sound good but seems still a few kinks... I'll read up on Adryn's Lite WM6.5 ...tonight. one thing for sure lots of reading...lol

I put of flashing tonight for more reading and preparation...

Thanks again

Guest blazingwolf

I was reading up on BW's R&R WM6.5 v9 (have you tried it? what do you think?) sound good but seems still a few kinks... I'll read up on Adryn's Lite WM6.5 ...tonight. one thing for sure lots of reading...lol

Thanks again

What kinks would those be?

Guest Doc007

So ive set up my non-flashed omnia with all the programs and settings i like. I have also backed up my phone using SPB backup. Now im interested in flashing to CC20 and then trying some of the ROMs that are out there. (Im tired of waiting for Verizon to send out and official update)

My question is... How can I maintain all my programs and settings after flashing? What can I do?

Guest necosino

Unfortunately, I would NOT restore your settings after flashing to the CC20/Custom ROMS. Doing so could cause the custom ROM's settings to be overwritten and has the potential to really mess things up.

Basically, after you flash any ROM (The CC20 or any custom ROM) it will be a blank slate, you'll have to reinstall your applications/games and then re-set everything the way you like it.

You can still restore your contacts / SMS / Emails though ;)

Just make sure you Uncheck the System part!

Edited by necosino

Guest necosino

Thanks again

I used BWs v8. There's nothing wrong with it that I ever saw. It was very stable, user-friendly, and had a lot of good app's used to customize Titanium.

The only reason I went to Adryn's lite ROM was because I don't use Titanium (I use SPB Mobile Shell3), so for me, all those customizing applications weren't needed and were just taking up space. Plus I don't use a lot of the other app's that were included in BW's ROMs, like the backup utility or TotalCommander.

Adryn's was the newest lite build of WinMo 6.5, so that's the one I used ;)

Edited by necosino

Guest aace
What kinks would those be?

Blaze,

First and foremost thanks for the hard work you and other ROM chef have put into this - just mind blowing!

Sorry, my mistake - wrong choice of word... was reading your ROM thread and "kinks" comes up and you take care of them ASAP... impressive actually. Finished reading last night and getting ready to flash today - will use your version9.

Again my apologies and many thanks.

Arlie

Guest aace
Unfortunately, I would NOT restore your settings after flashing to the CC20/Custom ROMS. Doing so could cause the custom ROM's settings to be overwritten and has the potential to really mess things up.

Basically, after you flash any ROM (The CC20 or any custom ROM) it will be a blank slate, you'll have to reinstall your applications/games and then re-set everything the way you like it.

You can still restore your contacts / SMS / Emails though ;)

Just make sure you Uncheck the System part!

quick question - can i just resync using M$ Activesync and Outlook for my calendar and contacts?

thanks again

Guest blazingwolf
quick question - can i just resync using M$ Activesync and Outlook for my calendar and contacts?

thanks again

Yes. That would be the easiest way. ;)

Guest aace
Glad to hear it guys, I'll edit the first post to remind everyone ;)

necosino,

please bear with me... which driver do I need to install? I have activesync and pc recognise omnia.

i got to step7 but umdl still does not detect omnia, got message say "usbDev open faile" about 5times then "PDA Device not found."... what did i missed?

I did back up my data and did hard reset, phone well charged and did step1 to step7 to the letter

Please advice and thanks

Guest aace
Yes. That would be the easiest way. ;)

BW - thanks... started on flash process here but stuck... feeling a little stupid right now... can not get umdl to recognize my 910.... did step 1 to 7 and got message usbDev open 5 times and PDA Device not found.... i'm also waiting for necosino to reply... thanks to both of you for your constant help here!

Guest necosino
necosino,

please bear with me... which driver do I need to install? I have activesync and pc recognise omnia.

i got to step7 but umdl still does not detect omnia, got message say "usbDev open faile" about 5times then "PDA Device not found."... what did i missed?

I did back up my data and did hard reset, phone well charged and did step1 to step7 to the letter

Please advice and thanks

Your phone needs to be COMPLETELY off before you hit detect.

Try this. Unplug the phone, and take the battery off

Hit detect in UMDL

Put battery back in phone DO NOT TURN IT ON

Plug it in

NOW Turn it on

See if that does it for ya ;)

Guest aace
Your phone needs to be COMPLETELY off before you hit detect.

Try this. Unplug the phone, and take the battery off

Hit detect in UMDL

Put battery back in phone DO NOT TURN IT ON

Plug it in

NOW Turn it on

See if that does it for ya ;)

it was the added 8GB sd card - took it out and umdl started as stated... image updating right now... will update post as i go along.... thanks again!

Guest aace
Oh, probably from mass storage mode..

have to take bat out (left micro sd card out) and follow rest of your instructions... installing BW v9 right now... cool blue start up BW .... yea ... done... its alive and pretty.... now the fun begins

necosino... got message from laptop... something about connecting my device to usb2 to run faster... made my heart skip a bit.... but all ok so far so taking a break... break over.... back to fun...lol ;)

.... i be back... thanks

reinstalled micro sd card and google map still have to "acquire sats" otherwise so far so GOOD! will repost when better acquainted with BW v9 - it rocks!

Necosino - i can't thank you enough for all your help, hope you don't get tired of us newbies... THANKS AGAIN!

Edited by aace