Samsung Omnia II

Guest surethom

O My God Why are the widgets so MASSIVE the unit converter should be a small widget & when u click on it it should open up, WHY does Samsung create MASSIVE widgets they should create ones like Android / SPB Mobile shell 3, Samsung needs to get in the real world & sort them selfs out, this is my next phone but with Widgets 5 times the size they need to be I will be very disappointed..

:)

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
O My God Why are the widgets so MASSIVE the unit converter should be a small widget & when u click on it it should open up, WHY does Samsung create MASSIVE widgets they should create ones like Android / SPB Mobile shell 3, Samsung needs to get in the real world & sort them selfs out, this is my next phone but with Widgets 5 times the size they need to be I will be very disappointed..

:)

True!

Hardware is very good by Samsung but on software side they REALLY NEED TO LEARN how to be more CREATIVE, EXPERTISE and REALISTIC like Apple or Google: FAST FLUID UI with just visible enough icons, don't blame this on MS because I've seen nice fluid winmo apps so iphone UI like.

Guest Airwave11
For all the lucky owners...

How is the touchscreen? And the speed? Is the Omnia II more reactive than the Omnia?

Sorry to insist but I need some feed back of the  sensitive screen... I know that the screen is resistive, but how is the screen exactly? could you please compare with another phone?

I really want a responsive phone, and for me it will be the I8000 or the i8910... But I prefer WinMo than Symbian...

Thanks in advance!

Guest jkgtan

Buy any fool proof hand phone around S$200 it will come with Chinese input.

Am shock Omnia 2 at S$898 don't come with this basic feature.

Guest tim1979

Am shock Omnia 2 at S$898 don't come with this basic feature.

aiyo, please dont be so angry with this. Not every phone come with each owner like.

Just like if u were a english, u dont need a chinese input.

Use this input for chinese,

Touchpal v3.5 , v4 is out, but i prefer version 3.5.

http://www.cootek.com/

install the touchpal.cab first, follow by the chinese pack

U will be able to input chinese with english.

if u want to write in chinese, pls install 蒙恬手写输入法.cab

MOD EDIT: Warez is prohibited. Got some warning points.

Guest modacian
Sorry to insist but I need some feed back of the sensitive screen... I know that the screen is resistive, but how is the screen exactly? could you please compare with another phone?

I really want a responsive phone, and for me it will be the I8000 or the i8910... But I prefer WinMo than Symbian...

Thanks in advance!

It is much better than Omnia 1 even with the enhanced digitizer.

But it is no iPhone or even i8910... resistive will never mach the capacitive... don't compare apples to oranges!

Guest Airwave11
It is much better than Omnia 1 even with the enhanced digitizer.

But it is no iPhone or even i8910... resistive will never mach the capacitive... don't compare apples to oranges!

Excellent news!

Capacitive also have cons... So Resistive will be perfect. But it seems that my Omnia has a very hard screen, harder than my friends' HTC... So I think I will take the i8000!!!

Guest cocoaju

Anyone installed CE-Star on this? I read on an XDA page, that this doesn't work properly or some what. I asked the guy again but he couldn't describe it and the next thing I know was he sold it because he thought the UI is too slow, hard to get in the email folders or something and he didn't know how to switch off the UI.

Anyway, being able to read Chinese content is the most important thing for me. I don't want to by a Chinese model as I think the characters looks horrible. I only need it to read emails and sms. Can anyone help?

Also, if you switched off the UI, are you able to view threaded sms?

Thanks in advance!

Guest La Traviata

That is (sadly) not true. Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) language support is missing on many phones.

Guest tim1979
Anyone installed CE-Star on this? I read on an XDA page, that this doesn't work properly or some what. I asked the guy again but he couldn't describe it and the next thing I know was he sold it because he thought the UI is too slow, hard to get in the email folders or something and he didn't know how to switch off the UI.

Anyway, being able to read Chinese content is the most important thing for me. I don't want to by a Chinese model as I think the characters looks horrible. I only need it to read emails and sms. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Your phone bought in Singapore? if yes, its should be able to read chinese already.

If u want to input chinese, u then need to install chinese SIP.

Btw i dont prefer CE-star, its abit buggy. U may want to look read a few thread up, look for my post.

U can find chinese input software. Tried and working on my omnia2 now.

Guest AndrewTan

Thanks in advance!

If your unit from Singapore, then I can guarantee it support for reading back the following language without any problem. CE-Star is not needed.

Viewing supported language:

- Chinese

- Japanese

- Korean

- Russian

The only language I notice not viewable at the moment is Thai.

For Chinese or others non English input language, what you need is just install a third party keyboard. Example great keyboard I found is TouchPal 4.0

Guest cocoaju
Your phone bought in Singapore? if yes, its should be able to read chinese already.

If u want to input chinese, u then need to install chinese SIP.

Btw i dont prefer CE-star, its abit buggy. U may want to look read a few thread up, look for my post.

U can find chinese input software. Tried and working on my omnia2 now.

If your unit from Singapore, then I can guarantee it support for reading back the following language without any problem. CE-Star is not needed.

- Chinese

- Japanese

- Korean

- Russian

For Chinese or others non English input language, what you need is just install a third party keyboard. Example great keyboard I found is TouchPal 4.0

Hey, thanks for both replies. I still haven't got mines yet. I am still waiting for it to come out in Hong Kong. Grey Imports are 1000 bucks (HKD) more than the expected RRP. No way I am paying 25 - 30% more. Rather wait for a couple of weeks.

I just want to make sure it does read chinese because my Touch HD, doesn't and needs CE-Star for it to read chinese. So it is a big plus for it reader chinese characters.

The other thing why I need CE-Star is that I need Pen Power. A transcibing software. I suck in typing in strokes or Pinyin. I can never get the characters I want. I end up taking ages looking for the correct word.

Any suggestions for a good hand-writing inputting software? Or do you think the i8000 will come with one when it gets released in Hong Kong.

Guest tim1979
Hey, thanks for both replies. I still haven't got mines yet. I am still waiting for it to come out in Hong Kong. Grey Imports are 1000 bucks (HKD) more than the expected RRP. No way I am paying 25 - 30% more. Rather wait for a couple of weeks.

I just want to make sure it does read chinese because my Touch HD, doesn't and needs CE-Star for it to read chinese. So it is a big plus for it reader chinese characters.

The other thing why I need CE-Star is that I need Pen Power. A transcibing software. I suck in typing in strokes or Pinyin. I can never get the characters I want. I end up taking ages looking for the correct word.

Any suggestions for a good hand-writing inputting software? Or do you think the i8000 will come with one when it gets released in Hong Kong.

Presently i am using "蒙恬手写输入法", its working fine.

U can download from my thread a few thread up.

Guest La Traviata

- Chinese

- Japanese

- Korean

- Russian

That's interesting. Do you actually have the i8000 and it supports all those Asian languages? Because endursa ordered his i8000 from Singapore and he said it only supports english (uk), french, italian, german, russian, norwegian, dutch, czech, greek, spanish, portuguese, finnish, danish, polish and swedish. Are there different models on sale in Singapore and, if so, how can you make sure you get one that supports Asian languages?

Hi! Does anybody know how to disable the samsung own design in the sms section (when you open a message) ? I really miss the flash light function. Is there a way to use it? Thanks.

Guest cocoaju
Presently i am using "蒙恬手写输入法", its working fine.

U can download from my thread a few thread up.

Hello Tim1979,

One question though, does this support Traditional Chinese? The above looks like it's in Simplified Chinese. If it does, then I am saved and will install it straight away.

Again, many thanks for the help.

Guest cocoaju
How come the design for singapore version is like the pre released version (looks the similar to samsung jet) and not the one that samsung recently updated?

Check out this recent design (pay attention on the bottom part , no more slope and no more cube)

http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2/

Sorry but I can't see the difference. They all look like they have a slope and a cube near the bottom...

Guest tim1979
Hello Tim1979,

One question though, does this support Traditional Chinese? The above looks like it's in Simplified Chinese. If it does, then I am saved and will install it straight away.

Again, many thanks for the help.

Hi,

Me in singapore , set also bought in singapore, can read chinese by default.

I just intall the ""蒙恬手写输入法" then i can use the chinese SIP.

It dont really matter if the set u get doesnt support chinese, u just need to install sunfon chinese enable font.

U can search on omnia forum , i did also post some there.

enjoy

Guest alvinaloy
That's interesting. Do you actually have the i8000 and it supports all those Asian languages? Because endursa ordered his i8000 from Singapore and he said it only supports english (uk), french, italian, german, russian, norwegian, dutch, czech, greek, spanish, portuguese, finnish, danish, polish and swedish. Are there different models on sale in Singapore and, if so, how can you make sure you get one that supports Asian languages?

Hi, I believe what endursa meant was that the phone is able to run on the OS with those languages, i.e. even the menus in the phone are in those languages.

What tim1979 meant about language support is that Omnia II runs English OS, but is able to read those languages, i.e. able to display those languages when you receive an SMS, email or when you surf to websites with those languages.

Hope this clarifies.

Guest La Traviata
Hi, I believe what endursa meant was that the phone is able to run on the OS with those languages, i.e. even the menus in the phone are in those languages.

What tim1979 meant about language support is that Omnia II runs English OS, but is able to read those languages, i.e. able to display those languages when you receive an SMS, email or when you surf to websites with those languages.

Hope this clarifies.

Thank you - yes, it does! I guess my next Omnia will be coming from Singapore (unless it turns out that the European versions can read Asian languages as well).

Guest endursa

yep that's what my phone supports when i go to language settings!

Hope this clarifies.

and yes this is also true, but since i don't know any mandarin languages i can't test it ! :)

Edited by endursa

Guest jkgtan
aiyo, please dont be so angry with this. Not every phone come with each owner like.

Just like if u were a english, u dont need a chinese input.

Use this input for chinese,

Touchpal v3.5 , v4 is out, but i prefer version 3.5.

http://www.cootek.com/

install the touchpal.cab first, follow by the chinese pack

U will be able to input chinese with english.

if u want to write in chinese, pls install 蒙恬手写输入法.cab

Tried the download and installed into my Omnia 2 but it doesn't seems to work.