Linux on Samsung Omnia

Guest fladna9

Guest fladna9
Again: great work man! :angry:

Thanks !

Have you tried it ?

Hey men, I released it, but wanna feedback :D

Hope you'll like, of course ^^

If you've any setup problem, explain it here, by PM or even by email if you want.

Guest Soniczt3000
Thanks !

Have you tried it ?

Hey men, I released it, but wanna feedback :angry:

Hope you'll like, of course ^^

If you've any setup problem, explain it here, by PM or even by email if you want.

Not yet, I'm waiting to use the only laptop in my house (my father's) that has a sdhc card reader to repartition the microsd I've used for AndrOmnia! ;)

I thought that connecting Omnia via usb, after setting the storage card to be visible as a drive, would let me do this operation... however when I run gparted it detects the sd card, but no partition table is available... :D

Guest fladna9
Not yet, I'm waiting to use the only laptop in my house (my father's) that has a sdhc card reader to repartition the microsd I've used for AndrOmnia! :angry:

I thought that connecting Omnia via usb, after setting the storage card to be visible as a drive, would let me do this operation... however when I run gparted it detects the sd card, but no partition table is available... :D

That's normal : The Windows Mobile app doesn't permit to access your card but your windows formated partition of your card (in fact, that's the same as windows : you can't see your android or any other linux partition directly from windows...)

Guest fladna9

Ladies (any one here, reading this post ? I'm currently single, by the way... ) and gentlemen, be careful !

As you know, OmniUbuntu is at early stage of development.

An user of OmniUbuntu just said me that this name could be better, just by removing a letter...

Good by the U

Now, the project of Ubuntu on Omnia will be called Omnibuntu.

That's all. For now. ^^

Guest thescope
Ladies (any one here, reading this post ? I'm currently single, by the way... ) and gentlemen, be careful !

As you know, OmniUbuntu is at early stage of development.

An user of OmniUbuntu just said me that this name could be better, just by removing a letter...

Good by the U

Now, the project of Ubuntu on Omnia will be called Omnibuntu.

That's all. For now. ^^

Wow, it works! :angry: ill be trying to do all kinds of stuff, let you guyz now how it gose.

What did you mean by "be careful" ?  :D

Guest fladna9
Wow, it works! :angry: ill be trying to do all kinds of stuff, let you guyz now how it gose.

What did you mean by "be careful" ?  :D

By "be careful", i mean that that's the new name of this version of Ubuntu... That's all. What did you understand in this "be careful" ? I could write : "look. omnibuntu is not an another version. It is the same as OmniUbuntu, but omnibuntu is the new name. So don't use OmniUbuntu." xD

By the way, the first that use OmniUbuntu will be punished. He will write one hundred time :

"I will say omnibuntu instead of omniubuntu because that's the new name of omniubuntu"

And if anyone is seen using the copy/paste cheater thing... ^^

Guest Soniczt3000
That's normal : The Windows Mobile app doesn't permit to access your card but your windows formated partition of your card (in fact, that's the same as windows : you can't see your android or any other linux partition directly from windows...)

Eheh no, I was able to view in Nautilus all the drives, even the ext2 partitions for andromnia, and their corresponding files... but gparted couldn't list the partitions!

Anyway, I repartitioned the card and now... Omnibuntu works!

I've caught three photos:

img9167j.jpg

img9165p.jpg

img9161k.jpg

Guys, it's amazing! The system is quite responsive, and the new landscape version is more usable than the portrait one you posted!

I think that one of the limit in the project will be the screen resolution: the desktop applications look too "big" for the omnia display. It's a pity, because the cpu seems to handle quite easily simple programs like abiword...

Guest fladna9
Eheh no, I was able to view in Nautilus all the drives, even the ext2 partitions for andromnia, and their corresponding files... but gparted couldn't list the partitions!

Anyway, I repartitioned the card and now... Omnibuntu works!

I've caught three photos:

Images removed.

Guys, it's amazing! The system is quite responsive, and the new landscape version is more usable than the portrait one you posted!

I think that one of the limit in the project will be the screen resolution: the desktop applications look too "big" for the omnia display. It's a pity, because the cpu seems to handle quite easily simple programs like abiword...

Happy to read that ! Of course, the Omnia's resolution will not help. Maybe a zoom thing, like on internet explorer or opera on winmo.

For the build-in Storage Card thing in WinMo : ??? I wasn't aware of that :D but remember that if you don't have any windows partition on your card, WinMo won't permit you to use the Storage Card option in USB connection mode.

Edited by fladna9

Guest Soniczt3000
Happy to read that ! Of course, the Omnia's resolution will not help. Maybe a zoom thing, like on internet explorer or opera on winmo.

It would be nice if someone could test it on the Omnia II display (800x400)... it's nearer to a standard desktop resolution (800x600..) :D

Guest dragracekid

Maybe im just doing something wrong but when I open haret and hit run the comand line text runs then it asks me to log in and I dont have a keyboard or anything is there something im doing wrong?

also i get an error Unexpected inconsistency run fsck manually then a maintenance shell

one more thing im on BW 1.4 windows mobile 6.5

Edited by dragracekid

Guest fladna9
Maybe im just doing something wrong but when I open haret and hit run the comand line text runs then it asks me to log in and I dont have a keyboard or anything is there something im doing wrong?

also i get an error Unexpected inconsistency run fsck manually then a maintenance shell

one more thing im on BW 1.4 windows mobile 6.5

First, about the fsck : I think you've unplugged your card reader without umounted it or rebooted the omnia with the reset hole or battery while writing.

You have to :

Plug the card in your cardreader, under Linux. Now assuming that your card is sdb and the omnibuntu partition the 2nd

On a terminal, type :

"sudo umount /dev/sdb*"

and

"sudo fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb2"

Answer yes at all questions.

Second, For the login :

I've done modifications for autologin in console.

Are you sure you have done what is said in the tutorial ?

Now, try this : Do what i told you in the first part. maybe just a badblock blocking the autologin.

If it don't work, re-install omnibuntu.

If all that don't work, i'll try something else.

Guest dragracekid
First, about the fsck : I think you've unplugged your card reader without umounted it or rebooted the omnia with the reset hole or battery while writing.

You have to :

Plug the card in your cardreader, under Linux. Now assuming that your card is sdb and the omnibuntu partition the 2nd

On a terminal, type :

"sudo umount /dev/sdb*"

and

"sudo fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb2"

Answer yes at all questions.

Second, For the login :

I've done modifications for autologin in console.

Are you sure you have done what is said in the tutorial ?

Now, try this : Do what i told you in the first part. maybe just a badblock blocking the autologin.

If it don't work, re-install omnibuntu.

If all that don't work, i'll try something else.

the first thing actually fixed the other thank you very much this is pretty awsome thanx for your hard work

Guest fladna9

Hi guys !

News :

Remember, i told you somebody helped me with the name (Omniubuntu to Omnibuntu). His nickname is "X-Ray A4T" and now, he has done a logo for this version of ubuntu, of course inspired by the ubuntu logo itself.

See this, tell me what you think. I like it.

omnibuntu.png

Gonna change the "Start" menu button to this (only the purple logo, of course)

So thanks X-Ray A4T, this logo is cooool ! :D

Edited by fladna9

Guest smilegod
Hi guys !

News :

Remember, i told you somebody helped me with the name (Omniubuntu to Omnibuntu). His nickname is "X-Ray A4T" and now, he has done a logo for this version of ubuntu, of course inspired by the ubuntu logo itself.

See this, tell me what you think. I like it.

omnibuntu.png

Gonna change the "Start" menu button to this (only the purple logo, of course)

So thanks X-Ray A4T, this logo is cooool ! :angry:

I agree this logo is very cool :D

Thanks to X-Ray A4T

Guest muhlba91

great job! but the calibration doesn't work properly. I think that the vectors are not set correctly, but I don't know...

maybe this can help you with wifi: http://www.andromnia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34

the emdebian works on my omnia and if I set the wifi settings in the wpa_supplicatn it works! (maybe it doesn't work, then you have to set eth0 to eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wifi.conf). But then it works for me...

Guest Soniczt3000
great job! but the calibration doesn't work properly. I think that the vectors are not set correctly, but I don't know...

Strange... for me calibration was perfect and precise.

Guest fladna9

your great work. in the credits a bit of publicity for your work.

Thanks man !

To muhlba91 : like soniczt3000, i don't have any touchscreen problem. Maybe bad calibration ? Thanks for the link, but tell me : does they have a virtual keyboard ?

Thanks to all omnibuntu users !

Guest muhlba91
Thanks man !

To muhlba91 : like soniczt3000, i don't have any touchscreen problem. Maybe bad calibration ? Thanks for the link, but tell me : does they have a virtual keyboard ?

Thanks to all omnibuntu users !

i'll test the callibration another time. maybe i've waited too long, before typing anything...

i think that they don't have any keyboard too until yet. but maybe some of the ubuntu/debian on screen keyboard may work. As far as I know there are some keyboards (kde and gnome, maybe lxde too -but I'm not so used with on screen keyboards -> I'm just guessing.. :angry: ), but I don't know whether they work or not. Maybe I've the time to test some in your omnibuntu. But I don't know it yet. (Is there anything how I can reconfigure the touchscreen without reinstalling?)

But I think, that wifi should work in the future, because then you can connect via ssh to omnibuntu.. :D

Guest fladna9

To muhlba91 : What do you mean by "reconfigure" ? re-calibrate it/play with config files ? or tweaking the driver ? for the first, no kernet edit needed. just an edit of rootfs (i do it with "sudo nautilus" ^^) and for the second, you need to re-build your own kernel.

I'm trying to re-create a Debien based (not Ubuntu based) root fs with X11, Lxde AND E11. Early alpha stage now, installing LXDE (150MB :D )

Then, i'll see for a virtual keyboard under lxde...

Guest muhlba91
To muhlba91 : What do you mean by "reconfigure" ? re-calibrate it/play with config files ? or tweaking the driver ? for the first, no kernet edit needed. just an edit of rootfs (i do it with "sudo nautilus" ^^) and for the second, you need to re-build your own kernel.

I'm trying to re-create a Debien based (not Ubuntu based) root fs with X11, Lxde AND E11. Early alpha stage now, installing LXDE (150MB ;) )

Then, i'll see for a virtual keyboard under lxde...

great! it would be nice if you make the alpha stage of debian/X11/lxde/etc. public. But I think that wifi should work soon, becuase it isn't so great to run it under VirtualBox and after configuring new parts copying the rootfs to the sdcard and testing the new things if they work on omnia too or not... so if you can make a ssh connection to the phone you can install new parts and testing them right now. :angry:

i mean re-calibrate it! ;) sorry for my expression... i don't want to reinstall the whole omnibuntu another time. so it would be nice, if there is a file where the vectors are being stored that I can delete, or a command that open the calibration tool! :D hopefully you understand me now ;)

Edited by muhlba91