Problems with IM

Guest Cardinal85

Guest Cardinal85

2 of the default IM programs on my BJ2 (AIM, Windows Live Messenger) give me an error when I try to sign on. I've tried in numerous places – from my small town that barely gets me 2 bars to Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta 3G Networks. I get the following error after attempting to sign on:

“Communication error. Please try again or check your settings.”

The Yahoo! Messenger works perfectly, but these two don't, which struck me as odd.

I have a number of programs and hacks installed on my phone, and I can list them if need be.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Guest dtphantom
2 of the default IM programs on my BJ2 (AIM, Windows Live Messenger) give me an error when I try to sign on. I've tried in numerous places – from my small town that barely gets me 2 bars to Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta 3G Networks. I get the following error after attempting to sign on:

“Communication error. Please try again or check your settings.”

The Yahoo! Messenger works perfectly, but these two don't, which struck me as odd.

I have a number of programs and hacks installed on my phone, and I can list them if need be.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

have you tried something like palringo which lets you use all of the major IM networks?

Guest Cardinal85
have you tried something like palringo which lets you use all of the major IM networks?

I haven't tried palringo because I heard some of the 3rd party apps use data, and I don't have a data plan, and can't purchase one.

EDIT: I just checked, and palringo uses data.

Any way I can possibly fix the defaults on my phone?

Edited by Cardinal85

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bbombf

Go to your local AT&T store or call them up and let them know the situation. They'll enable your data connection so that you can use it. It takes a small amount of data to log on to the services, then the actual messages are considered text messages on your bill. I had the same problem because I don't use a data plan either.