The SatNav Thread

Guest Webreaper

Guest Dan Mullen
Looks like you had the typical customer service treatment with that idiotic reply. You should forward their reply to Apple and ask about the iTunes account T&Cs breach and ask for their opinion on Navigon's policy of license revocation/transference.

Why is the Navigon software license non-transferable? Because it's tied to your iTunes account? Yes, I would certainly pursue this seemingly unfair policy and ask Navigon for a straight refund or perhaps seek legal advice if it's worth your while.

Unfortunately the typical answer tends to be "read the small print" - there's probably some restrictive EULA attached to that software.

Guest Dan Mullen
I purchased CoPilot for Android yesterday. I just wondered if I can load it on more than one T-Mobile Pulse and have them active at the same time? Also, is it possible to get additional voice packs, such as celebrity voices or put your own in?

I haven't come across any additional voice packs but I'd be surprised if you can't add extras like that on.

As for installing on more than one handset... I very much doubt it! :)

Guest Spook Tooth

Hey Dan, yeah I checked the small print over at the CoPilot site whilst trying to figure out how come my license had not been activated on my handset.

The long and the short of it is, as with Navigon software above, you cannot transfer the license cross platforms - so no uninstalling it on Android and bunging it on the Iphone. I think it might be okay to install it to a WinMo device though. Apple works differently for some reason (iTunes?). You cannot run the software on more than one device at a time! Shame... :)

Since I have not received a license key from CoPilot and my trial is due to expire in 8 days time whilst I'm out of range of decent internet I'm not too happy. I hope the Android appstore is right in that after 10 days and Alk's verification of my purchase they'll email me one. ;) If not, I won't be very happy. B)

B)

Guest Dan Mullen
Hey Dan, yeah I checked the small print over at the CoPilot site whilst trying to figure out how come my license had not been activated on my handset.

The long and the short of it is, as with Navigon software above, you cannot transfer the license cross platforms - so no uninstalling it on Android and bunging it on the Iphone. I think it might be okay to install it to a WinMo device though. Apple works differently for some reason (iTunes?). You cannot run the software on more than one device at a time! Shame... :)

Since I have not received a license key from CoPilot and my trial is due to expire in 8 days time whilst I'm out of range of decent internet I'm not too happy. I hope the Android appstore is right in that after 10 days and Alk's verification of my purchase they'll email me one. ;) If not, I won't be very happy. B)

B)

I have CoPilot on my Hero and, IIRC, the activation code you need to enter is the long order number on your Google Checkout receipt.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Spook Tooth
I have CoPilot on my Hero and, IIRC, the activation code you need to enter is the long order number on your Google Checkout receipt.

Well, sadly to update, I have had no end of trouble with those muppets working for CoPilot's support team. In brief, my Google Order number only seems to work once and that's the first time the device starts up after the first install. Then for some reason the next time it starts up, after it's fully set up (with or without the relevant maps downloaded) it asks for the Google order number again but this time won't accept it. If the trial period is still active then I can use it by skipping the verification process but got locked out completely whilst away over Xmas.

What annoys me more is the complete absence of customer support over Xmas - I did not receive a reply to my questions until the 11th January 2010. And then it was just a standard response telling me to wait the 10 days for the product key code to be automatically sent to my phone, despite me informing them that it'd been 3 weeks already and I'd been locked out after the 10 day trial period was up.

I've now got 2 support cases ongoing, through no fault of my own. I got sick of the plodding pointless irrelevant and unhelpful questions from the particular support personnel in support case 1 and thought I'd just go through Google Checkout and use their form to more formally request a refund. All that happened was another support worker began a new support case (2) and now I've got two dipshits on the case, both asking stupid questions and ignoring the information I'm giving them. :)

PS.

Well, finally got it sorted after one month of support requests and thousands upon thousands of words typed, handset resets, uninstallations and reinstallations and no doubt lots of gigabytes downloaded. They never told me why the problem occurred but it certainly looks like they forgot to send out the license key amongst other things. No apology or explanation given of course. 'Contemptible persons' will get away with it too.

Edited by Spook Tooth

• 2 weeks later...
Guest souljah777

I know most of us don't like to have to rely on an internet connection to navigate but I've been using Nav4All to good effect. I've got a Pulse that came with a trial of Telenav (you pay monthly after the trial expires); I didn't get to find out what the navigation was like as the voice was awful. It sounded like someone was sat on the speaker. I was on the road and needed SatNav so I downloaded Nav4All from the market and it was great. The voice was crystal clear (unlike on the WinMo version) and the navigation was accurate.

Nav4All hasn't got the prettiest interface and there are no maps when navigating but it does the job and only costs for data transfer.

Also, for those who've tried to transfer licenses, I used CoPilot on my Omnia and asked ALK if I could transfer to Android. The answer was no; it seems that they all have a common way of squeezing extra money out of us. I'm tempted to wait for a while and see if the Google Turn-by-Turn comes to UK.

Finally, I'm much happier with Android than I was with WinMo after years of use. I use Google Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks and the sync functionality is great. Thanks to Paul too for the great ROM work on this site. I'm amazed that T-Mobile haven't been able to produce a ROM hat runs as well and as fast as Paul's.