06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest L.G.S

Hey everybody. First time Android user, so I'm a little wary.

I have an Orange Hero with 2.6 Kernel Version and 2.7 Build Number.

Am I OK to use the instructions in the first post to install the recovery image?

And do I lose anything in the process, apps and data etc?

Thank you

Guest travisimo

Hey guys So... I'm pretty noobish with all this.

I've downloaded the new Rom

Copied the zip to SD Card

Ran Script in post one

Rebooted to load Rom

i get a phone and a triangle exclamation sign. Can't choose to load new rom.

If i boot normally without holding home it boots fine. just won't boot to recovery

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I'm on a mac.

Guest Dr. dre
Hey everybody. First time Android user, so I'm a little wary.

I have an Orange Hero with 2.6 Kernel Version and 2.7 Build Number.

Am I OK to use the instructions in the first post to install the recovery image?

And do I lose anything in the process, apps and data etc?

Thank you

Tell me the full build no. Then only I can help you it should be something like this 2.73.xxx.x

Hey guys So... I'm pretty noobish with all this.

I've downloaded the new Rom

Copied the zip to SD Card

Ran Script in post one

Rebooted to load Rom

i get a phone and a triangle exclamation sign. Can't choose to load new rom.

If i boot normally without holding home it boots fine. just won't boot to recovery

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I'm on a mac.

First of all you have to flash a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM, go to the first page for the flashing of custom ROM.

Guest Dr. dre
Build number is 2.73.61.66

You can try the easy method (Flashrec Method) here but I don't think it will work because you have the latest ROM :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

If this doesn't work the only method which work for you is Goldcard Method but it will be a bit on the harder side here's the link :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

Guest travisimo
First of all you have to flash a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM, go to the first page for the flashing of custom ROM.

Let me explain further. I followed the instructions on page one and i got to the bottom where I'm told to take out the battery and restart the phone while holding the HOME button and when i did that the phone starts up and shows a an icon of a triangle with an exclamation point.

So what did i probably do wrong.

Guest descenpet
Let me explain further. I followed the instructions on page one and i got to the bottom where I'm told to take out the battery and restart the phone while holding the HOME button and when i did that the phone starts up and shows a an icon of a triangle with an exclamation point.

So what did i probably do wrong.

that triangle with exclamation mark means you don't have recovery image on your phone, in other words your recovery image didn't get flashed. that's why he's asking you to flash the custom recovery.

try repeating the steps on first post. and if the script doesn't work for you, try entering 1 line at a time and see which gives you error.

Guest Dr. dre
that triangle with exclamation mark means you don't have recovery image on your phone, in other words your recovery image didn't get flashed. that's why he's asking you to flash the custom recovery.

try repeating the steps on first post. and if the script doesn't work for you, try entering 1 line at a time and see which gives you error.

OR

Tell us the build number in 'about phone' because if you have the new bootloader you won't be able to do the procees given on 1st page.

Guest travisimo
OR

Tell us the build number in 'about phone' because if you have the new bootloader you won't be able to do the procees given on 1st page.

well the script runs all the way through without throwing an errors in the terminal windows, here is the build number

"1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys"

Guest Dr. dre
well the script runs all the way through without throwing an errors in the terminal windows, here is the build number

"1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys"

Have you tried the flashrec method ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kerrywez

Hi all I am new to the forum, though I have been reading since I got my Hero, last week and would like to thank all who have contributed to the forum, I have foud it very informative and am every happy to join you here. I have got a strange problem and would like some help with it please. I go the the command prompt window, but it is in C:\Users\Wez and will not do anything I ask it to. I should add than I am using Win 7. I did have this problem before when trying to do something with my satellite receiver and one of the guys on there told me what to do to get to C:\ I have tried to enter C:\ but it will not go there for me. Any help that anyone could give me would be very ,much appreciated and welcome. I have attached a screen grab of the window for your appraisal. Sorry I should have added that my Hero is branded to T Mobile, though I got it unlocked and it is now on Vodafone IE.

Thanks for any help I will receive.

Regards Wez

post-673687-1268658258_thumb.png

Edited by kerrywez

Guest Dr. dre
Hi all I am new to the forum, though I have been reading since I got my Hero, last week and would like to thank all who have contributed to the forum, I have foud it very informative and am every happy to join you here. I have got a strange problem and would like some help with it please. I go the the command prompt window, but it is in C:\Users\Wez and will not do anything I ask it to. I should add than I am using Win 7. I did have this problem before when trying to do something with my satellite receiver and one of the guys on there told me what to do to get to C:\ I have tried to enter C:\ but it will not go there for me. Any help that anyone could give me would be very ,much appreciated and welcome. I have attached a screen grab of the window for your appraisal. Sorry I should have added that my Hero is branded to T Mobile, though I got it unlocked and it is now on Vodafone IE.

Thanks for any help I will receive.

Regards Wez

You are doing it wrong, if you want to change the directory just type

'cd C:\'

then your directory would be changed to 'C:\' the command you are giving is incorrect and wont work.

Guest kerrywez
You are doing it wrong, if you want to change the directory just type

'cd C:\'

then your directory would be changed to 'C:\' the command you are giving is incorrect and wont work.

Thanks I have tried to go to the folder where I have the files extracted to, but it will not go. I am sorry, but could someone please help e with this I am really fed up with the T Mobile branding on my phone and would like to get rid of it. Is this the only method there is to get rid of the T Mobile branding? Many thanks for any help I will get. I have attached a screen grab of what happens when I try to got to the folder where the file was extracted to. Best regards Wez

post-673687-1268684179_thumb.png

Guest Dr. dre
Thanks I have tried to go to the folder where I have the files extracted to, but it will not go. I am sorry, but could someone please help e with this I am really fed up with the T Mobile branding on my phone and would like to get rid of it. Is this the only method there is to get rid of the T Mobile branding? Many thanks for any help I will get. I have attached a screen grab of what happens when I try to got to the folder where the file was extracted to. Best regards Wez

First of all tell me what's the build no. Of your phone, It is there in 'Settings - About Phone'

If it is something like this 2.73.xxx.x then go here

theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-downgrade-your-htc-hero-so-it-can-be-rooted/

If it is something like this 1.76.xxx.x then go here

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

This is the first step to De-brand your T-Mobile phone (Install a Custom Recovery Image)

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest descenpet

when you want to go to whatever folder, you do need to type cd (change directory) before whatever the folder name is. just typing the plain folder name won't get you anywhere in command prompt.

Guest kerrywez
First of all tell me what's the build no. Of your phone, It is there in 'Settings - About Phone'

If it is something like this 2.73.xxx.x then go here

theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-downgrade-your-htc-hero-so-it-can-be-rooted/

If it is something like this 1.76.xxx.x then go here

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

This is the first step to De-brand your T-Mobile phone (Install a Custom Recovery Image)

Many thanks for your help, unfortunately mine is build 1.76 and there is nothing when I go to the link you very kindly sent me. Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated and welcome.

Regards Wez

Guest Dr. dre
Many thanks for your help, unfortunately mine is build 1.76 and there is nothing when I go to the link you very kindly sent me. Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated and welcome.

Regards Wez

Dude fortunately you have 1.76 and it's very good because it is easy to root 1.76.xxx.x just go here :-

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

On the other hand 2.73.xxx.x is a bit hard to root and it is kinda complicated process.

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest kerrywez
when you want to go to whatever folder, you do need to type cd (change directory) before whatever the folder name is. just typing the plain folder name won't get you anywhere in command prompt.

Hi many thanks for your reply, I have just about figured that out now, but your help is very much appreciated. I think that I will never get my phone unbranded, as it would seem T Mobile do not want them done.

Thanks again and best wishes Wez

Guest Dr. dre
Hi many thanks for your reply, I have just about figured that out now, but your help is very much appreciated. I think that I will never get my phone unbranded, as it would seem T Mobile do not want them done.

Thanks again and best wishes Wez

Just install a custom ROM or any of the stock ROM's which are in .zip and half of the branding of T-Mobile would be removed (There's a video for that on that link) and other half would be removed by installing a unlocked SPL.

Guest kerrywez
Just install a custom ROM or any of the stock ROM's which are in .zip and half of the branding of T-Mobile would be removed (There's a video for that on that link) and other half would be removed by installing a unlocked SPL.

Thanks for that mate, I am sorry for the delay in replying, but I was very busy today, putting up, well trying to put up, a polytunnel. All was going great till the last ground support tube was being driven into the ground, we hit the pipe from the bathroom and drove the thing through it, so had to dig down to the pipe and sort it, just finished it an hour ago and it rained for the first time in weeks also. I shall have a go tomorrow, as it is to rain heavy again, jusy have to put the work of till another time.

Regards Wez

• 2 weeks later...