Microsoft tells WinMo devs they're beautiful, worth more than 99 cents

Guest vinaymanro

Guest itsnotmeeee
20-Aug-2009_windows-marketplace-ofc-03.jpg

For many (if not most) iPhone developers, the App Store's overheated competition and bloated inventory have led to scorched-earth pricing that makes it virtually impossible to parlay mobile development into a valid for-profit business model without turning to subscriptions or in-app advertising. RIM's tried to nip that behavior in the bud by capping the minimum sale price at $2.99, and it sounds like Microsoft feels the same way in light of the flowery, motivational language being thrown the way of developers at learning sessions ahead of the Marketplace's launch. "I know, 99 cents is interesting -- yes, consumers like to pay 99 cents for applications," admits Microsoft's Loke Uei, "but 99 cents, come on, I think your app is worth more than that." You heard it straight from the horse's mouth, people -- your app is worth more than that. Ultimately, Uei says the goal is to set the bench higher by keeping low-quality apps out of the Marketplace, but to start out and beef up, they might consider taking all the crap they can get and worrying about stroking devs' egos after the fact. If the store's client app makes it easy enough to browse, search, and get to best-of-breed content, this point should be moot anyhow.

[Via Engadget]

Guest Confucious

99 cents times 100,000 is a lot more than $5.99 times a couple of hundred....

It is the volume of sales that makes all the difference. I buy apps for 99c to try, if I don't use it I don't care.

But MS know best, which is why they've delayed WM7 until the end of next year - if they are still in the mobile OS business by then....

Guest nickcornaglia

Confucious stole my exact thoughts!

Additionally, a unit converter, or TwitterApp at $3.99 or $5.99 vs $.99 doesnt make it a better app.

iPhone has alot of apps that aren't even worth $.99

Then again...they have a lot of free apps that could sell for a price....and MS developers probably would do just that.

MS better get innovative...stop with the multiple OS's and varying naming confusions. Pull the reigns in on how many models of phones they are selling...or maybe even follow the apple model and just sell their own manufactured phones...one, maybe two models.

Fire some management. Hire new engineers and developers. Start all over. It's worth a shot at trying to be #1 again...better than being behind Apple, Blackberry and Android....and possibly Palm (but I doubt that).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.