10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pretty sure I downloaded it after this was mentioned on the forums, but I'll try updating it again when I get home from work. Thanks for reminding me =)

no luck here. using the latest build.prop, did the steps to remove cache, restarted, nothing. no autostarts no ebuddy. market enabler doesn't change anything either.

Jochr and Igniztion, maybe I'm mistaken but I *think* that just after the MCR 2.9 release, Paul mentioned that the build.prop was incorrect in the "MCR 2.9 extended pack", and then he re-uploaded a corrected MCR 2.9 extended pack.

Well I know it's quite unlikely, but maybe you both have the initial (incorrect) version of MCR 2.9 extended ? That would explain the market issues. Because really, MCR 2.9 should be working fine.

OK, thank you for your tip. I did download version 2.9 just a few hours after Paul released. Will try when I get home from work.

With extended you mean the Enhanced pack? Because I run only the core version.

Guest theFRAGGLE

Even after installing the correct v2.9 the market issue was not solved. My solution was to wipe and use a "clean" 2.8 nandroid backup and after that update again to the correct v2.9 version.

Always keep 2-3 different nandroid backup versions on your phone! :-)

Guest dwattsy21

Hi guys. Have been wondering wether to install 2.9 (currently have 2.8) for a few days now. But i keep readin issues, one that particularly puts me off is problems with apps being available in the market. So... is it any better than 2.8? Should I insatll it??

Cheers, Dave

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi guys. Have been wondering wether to install 2.9 (currently have 2.8) for a few days now. But i keep readin issues, one that particularly puts me off is problems with apps being available in the market. So... is it any better than 2.8? Should I insatll it??

Cheers, Dave

My experience is upgrading from MCR 2.6 to 2.9 - no problems whatsoever, no issues with Market :)

Guest theFRAGGLE

If you have MCR 2.8 and teknologist kernel 1.8 there is NO actual need to update, because it is basically the same...

Guest dwattsy21
If you have MCR 2.8 and teknologist kernel 1.8 there is NO actual need to update, because it is basically the same...

When i installed 2.8, does this automatically install the 1.8 kernel? I thoguht it did, or do you have to isntall it seperately. And is it worth it?

Guest theFRAGGLE
When i installed 2.8, does this automatically install the 1.8 kernel? I thoguht it did, or do you have to isntall it seperately. And is it worth it?

You have to install it separately. You find the teknologist in another sticky post on the startpage. It makes the phone faster, but honest - if you are happy with MCR 2.8 then keep it. Or make a nandroid backup and try the kernel.

Guest griffog

I've been using Paul's excellent ROM's for a while now but the one part I don't understand is the A2SD feature.

How does this work and how do I partition the card to have this function?

Guest Keramidas
I've been using Paul's excellent ROM's for a while now but the one part I don't understand is the A2SD feature.

How does this work and how do I partition the card to have this function?

Hi,

A2SD moves all your apps from internal memory (/data/app and /data/app-private) to your sdcard (/system/sd/app and /system/sd/app-private). But your sd card is probably partitioned with a single fat partition, hence A2SD is inactive. To change this, you must reduce (or re-create) your sdcard's fat partition, to make room for a second partition which is formatted in ext3. When a2sd detects that a second partition exists, it will mount it on /system/sd, then create "app" and "app-private" subdirectories there, and then move your apps. This frees up a good amount of internal storage memory.

Guest griffog
A2SD moves all your apps from internal memory (/data/app and /data/app-private) to your sdcard (/system/sd/app and /system/sd/app-private). But your sd card is probably partitioned with a single fat partition, hence A2SD is inactive. To change this, you must reduce (or re-create) your sdcard's fat partition, to make room for a second partition which is formatted in ext3. When a2sd detects that a second partition exists, it will mount it on /system/sd, then create "app" and "app-private" subdirectories there, and then move your apps. This frees up a good amount of internal storage memory.

Thanks, just what I needed to know and now all sorted, cheers :)

Guest AndyMac

My phone is stuck in a boot cycle... I was rooted, then applied the Orange update. Used FlashRec

Performed a wipe, then Nandroid backup, then applied the 2.9 update... now stuck.

Any thoughts?

My phone is stuck in a boot cycle... I was rooted, then applied the Orange update. Used FlashRec

Performed a wipe, then Nandroid backup, then applied the 2.9 update... now stuck.

I had similar problems even after a wipe and ended up reformatting the SD card which solved the problem for me. If you copy all of the SD card contents to your PC you can put them all back afterwards.

Its probably a bit late now, but you want to do the Nandroid backup before you wipe so you can get everything back to the way it was quickly.

Go back from MCR 2.9 to MCR 2.8 with normal update.zip but cannot return 30 MB back to SD memory. I understand that there should be some unused cache still exists in the SD. May I ask anyone here how to delete that cache?

Thanks,

BTW, it seems that MCR 2.8 running smoother.

Guest elpelco

Since installing 2.9, I've had a few issues; Googlemail doesn't refresh automatically, no matter what I do, and I seem to be unable to download apps from the market. Should I reflash?

Guest theFRAGGLE
Go back from MCR 2.9 to MCR 2.8 with normal update.zip but cannot return 30 MB back to SD memory. I understand that there should be some unused cache still exists in the SD. May I ask anyone here how to delete that cache?

Do not overwrite 2.8 to 2.9 - instead use a wipe and/or a backup to recover a fresh 2.8 installation...

Guest gadgetgaz

I just updated from 2.8 to 2.9 and I have no google voice search anymore. I don't have a swap partition and I don't have a linux ext partition.

Paul's front page says google voice search is included in the ROM, can anyone help me track it down, please?