10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

I just updated from 2.8 to 2.9 and I have no google voice search anymore. I don't have a swap partition and I don't have a linux ext partition.

Paul's front page says google voice search is included in the ROM, can anyone help me track it down, please?

re-install..

Do not overwrite 2.8 to 2.9 - instead use a wipe and/or a backup to recover a fresh 2.8 installation...

Oh! :D have overwriten. However, it is working fine and better so far than MCR 2.9 (in my view). theFRAGGLE (and/or anyone), would you please let me know other negative effects else (exclude 30MB SD memory gone) of overwriting? BTW, I still think that there should be some way around to recover 30 MB of SD memory to be useable. Probably, Paul, Keramida, Kendol, Teknologist, and other else can figure out how :)

Thanks,

Oh! :D have overwriten. However, it is working fine and better so far than MCR 2.9 (in my view). theFRAGGLE (and/or anyone), would you please let me know other negative effects else (exclude 30MB SD memory gone) of overwriting? BTW, I still think that there should be some way around to recover 30 MB of SD memory to be useable. Probably, Paul, Keramida, Kendol, Teknologist, and other else can figure out how :)

Thanks,

Wrong memory area :D .. It is "internal phone storage" not SD memory

Guest Keramidas
Do not overwrite 2.8 to 2.9 - instead use a wipe and/or a backup to recover a fresh 2.8 installation...

Sorry, this is totally incorrect. There is no "fresh" or "rotten" system directories like there is with Windows. When any ROM is installed (eg: MoDaCo base), the BOOT, SYSTEM and CACHE areas are completely wiped ! The only thing that is preserved is the DATA (internal storage) area.

Therefore, ANY PROBLEM that is resolved by "manual wipe", can also be solved AFTER THE ROM IS INSTALLED, by deleting the correct directory in /data. Have problem with mms/sms database ? Just delete it and reboot. Have a bootloop ? Find the offending app with "adb logcat" and destroy its settings in /data. This happened when upgrading from official ROM to MoDaCo, because a few system apps changed their database schema and therefore could not handle the old databases if they were present in /data.

It's Linux gentlemen, and the whole system is read-only. The only thing that can be rotten, is the user's internal /data partition.

Gentleman,

is there somebody who could help me with ADB, open a console under windows and modify (delete some off the MoDaCo ROM apps)?

I downloaded ADB from the website here and opened it, but unfortunately I can´t open the console (it opens for 2 seconds and then closes itself again).

I would appreciate your help.

Guest Keramidas
Gentleman,

is there somebody who could help me with ADB, open a console under windows and modify (delete some off the MoDaCo ROM apps)?

I downloaded ADB from the website here and opened it, but unfortunately I can´t open the console (it opens for 2 seconds and then closes itself again).

Hi,

Sorry I don't use Windows so I can't give you 100% exact instructions on how to do it, but I will try. Don't launch adb by double-clicking on its icon, because it's a console app. Instead, open a Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory where adb.exe resides. Then, run "cmd.exe" by using the start menu. Type "cd" followed by a space character, then drag-drop the folder icon from the explorer window to the black cmd.exe window. Press enter. Type "dir" and you should see adb.exe. Now type "adb shell" (without the quotes) and enter. You should be connected to your android phone :-)

Keramidas,

your "first-steps-workshop" leads me to a working console :D ... at least I have a reaction from the console. I will try to configure my ROM now (lets have a look when my next question will rise :)

Thank you for your help!

Guest Atze001

I have a little problem. My SD Card is partitioned and works fine under Drizzy´s Rom. Now I try the MoDaCo 2.9 and at first boot it find all my apps on my EXT partition but the content seems to be copyied to /data/app/ (/dev/block/mtdblock5) and if I take a look

to the SD Card Settings there are 110MB free.

What am I doing wrong?

I hope you understand what I mean (my english is very bad).

Now I have 2 Folders with the same content. One on my EXT Partition on my SD Card and one in my Phone Memory.

Musst I use a second tool (like APPS2SD2) to move the content back to EXT?

Has anyone tried the Motorola Droid, or any other phone with Android 2.0? Is it great? Can't hardly wait till it comes to the Hero!

and this is related to modacos custom rom for the htc hero how?

Guest teknologist
Go back from MCR 2.9 to MCR 2.8 with normal update.zip but cannot return 30 MB back to SD memory. I understand that there should be some unused cache still exists in the SD. May I ask anyone here how to delete that cache?

Thanks,

BTW, it seems that MCR 2.8 running smoother.

I do agree, after using 2.9 for a week, I went back to 2.8 + my 1.8 kernel addon and it just feels a lot smoother...

Guest hoschilo

Hello to all Hero- and Modaco-Custom-Rom-Freaks

It appears to me that there are more negative posts regarding 2.9 than positive (appologise if I'm wrong) so I would like to share my experience with the great work of some Android experts here:

I started with 2.2 with my unlocked Hero and now actually on 2.9. It just can say that I have never faced any problems at all...well there was one.. when I delete Google Talk as well as experimented with original calendar... but this dissapeared after reflashing. My Hero is stable and I never faced any ERRORS since long time (maybe on 2.5 or so) I killed HTC SYNC from ROM as I do only sync over Air and I also killed "dropbear". My battery life is just great to me, last cycle was around 90hrs with active time of approx. 13hrs (what ever that means) - I think all pepole which came from WM just as I do - can imagine how satisfied I am in this regard.

I have to say that I always had difficulties to follow the the speed improovments as reported from may other users - except when there was this release with the official ROM update (sorry I forgot which one it was), however, the way how this device reponse in the actual configuration it just great to me.

So, once again, I'm so happy with my Hero and especially this gerat forum - and thanks to all which share their knowlegde and eve more of their time

Max

Hello Paul,

please check the Java-Box there might be a bug. When changing into landscape modus, with enabled keyboard, the Hero freezes. Means, it is not possible to use the keyboard. I have to use the back button to get back to the start and use it from the beginning in landscape modus. It is not possible to make an active flip (screen rotate) while writing or when the application (Java-Box/Fishtext) is already opened.

Also the screen stays black (only the notification bar is visible) sometimes, by using the back button.

Guest rico2k_uk
Gentleman,

its becuase its not a windows program. its a dos app. use command prompt. if your not sure of that, then I wouldnt recommend modifying your phone until you are able.

I used the 1 click-method to unroot my device. Works fine, no errors. Then I got to the boot menu, I wiped all the data, then pointed out the core update.zip, no errors neither.

But when I reboot, the Hero-logo is always on the screen. I know it can take a while, but I think it's now been 30 minutes that it's trying to boot... it's still freezing at the hero-logo... and the SD card is still the gold card, so it has no apps on it...

its becuase its not a windows program. its a dos app. use command prompt. if your not sure of that, then I wouldnt recommend modifying your phone until you are able.

which usb drivers do I need to download to connect? I get an error when trying to connect something like unknown device or cannot connect to device. I assume its because I haven't downloaded the USB drivers...

I assume that there will be a Madaco rom for the Hero based on Android 2.0 Kendon. Just wondered if anyone new what was new, or how it performed.

so until there actually IS a modaco eclair rom this has nothing to do with the modaco custom rom. all i am asking is to stay on topic, please.