10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Paul,

Can you explain to me what the difference is between your Core version listed in this topic: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ing-wavesecure/

and the 2.9 core version in the current topic? Yesterday, I installed the 1.1 core from the other topic and my Hero won't boot again. I could fix it, now I'm running 2.9. But I'm wondering: why are there so many processes and taskes running at startup? Even more than the default stock rom... But the available memory is much higher than the stock rom from HTC.

Another question: where can I download previous versions of your modaco? Do you have them bundled at some place beside your own computer? ;-) I would like to have an as empty as possible modaco, without all those apps and unnecessary processes, like that Wifi-program. Is that possible on one way or another?

My last question then: when I download the Chinese input support, will it be added to my current rom? I like my current rom being in dutch, and it would be perfect for me if I could ADD chinese input. Because I would like to remain the dutch T9 dictionary as it is now, but I would like to have chinese support. My stock HTC rom supported chinese input, but didn't have a dutch T9 dictionary.

Furthermore: congratulations with your terrific work!

Edited by pina

Guest justbabu
Hi Paul,

Can you explain to me what the difference is between your Core version listed in this topic: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ing-wavesecure/

and the 2.9 core version in the current topic? Yesterday, I installed the 1.1 core from the other topic and my Hero won't boot again. I could fix it, now I'm running 2.9. But I'm wondering: why are there so many processes and taskes running at startup? Even more than the default stock rom... But the available memory is much higher than the stock rom from HTC.

Another question: where can I download previous versions of your modaco? Do you have them bundled at some place beside your own computer? ;-) I would like to have an as empty as possible modaco, without all those apps and unnecessary processes, like that Wifi-program. Is that possible on one way or another?

My last question then: when I download the Chinese input support, will it be added to my current rom? I like my current rom being in dutch, and it would be perfect for me if I could ADD chinese input. Because I would like to remain the dutch T9 dictionary as it is now, but I would like to have chinese support. My stock HTC rom supported chinese input, but didn't have a dutch T9 dictionary.

Furthermore: congratulations with your terrific work!

The core version in this topic is for the GSM Hero. The other topic is for the CDMA Hero (on Sprint) as the topic title clearly shows. You should not be flashing CDMA on GSM or vice-versa.

you should downgrade only if you have actual problems with the never version. there are a lot of improvements under the hood that you don't see, if you want to get rid of apps you don't need just delete them as described in the first post of this thread.

or open the zipfile, delete the apps you don't want, resign it and install it. this way the apps will never be installed on your phone. downside is, you need to resing the file, and maybe need a few tries until it actually works.

Guest freddie_1

Hi,

Im a complete newbie at this. Ive just updated my Hero to the latest T-mobile build. Do I need to update my radio and if so how do I do that and which one do I update to. I dont want to mess up my phone so some detailed instructions would be much appreciated.

Sorry about all the questions.

Guest comeflywithme
Waiting for the 2.9 chinese core.....

Have been very pleased with 2.7 so far, hopefully can upgrade to 2.9 soon.

re: Chinese, I am working on it, i'm just super-busy atm. It will be an add on pack rather than a seperate core now.

P

Edited by comeflywithme

Guest Atze001

Next try :)

I have a little problem. My SD Card is partitioned and works fine under Drizzy´s Rom. Now I try the MoDaCo 2.9 and at first boot it find all my apps on my EXT partition but the content seems to be copyied to /data/app/ (/dev/block/mtdblock5) and if I take a look

to the SD Card Settings there are 110MB free.

What am I doing wrong?

I hope you understand what I mean (my english is very bad).

Now I have 2 Folders with the same content. One on my EXT Partition on my SD Card and one in my Phone Memory.

Musst I use a second tool (like APPS2SD2) to move the content back to EXT?

Does anybody know if this is right?

Guest Atze001
Please post the result of 'ls -l /data' (via adb or in ConnectBot).

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\SDK\tools>adb shell

/ # mount /data

mount /data

/ # ls -l /data

ls -l /data

drwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 2048 Nov 16 00:01 anr

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Nov 18 03:01 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Nov 18 03:01 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

drwxrwxrwx 1 1002 1002 2048 Nov 16 00:00 btips

drwxrwx--x 1 1000 1000 2048 Nov 16 00:00 dalvik-cache

drwxrwx--x 1 1000 1000 2048 Nov 16 00:00 data

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 11 Nov 18 03:01 drm -> /data/local

drwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 2048 Nov 16 00:00 dropbear

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 32 Aug 1 2008 init.sh

drwxrwxrwx 1 2000 2000 2048 Nov 16 00:00 local

drwxrwx--- 1 0 0 2048 Nov 16 00:00 lost+found

drwxrwx--t 1 1000 9998 2048 Nov 16 00:00 misc

drwx------ 1 0 0 2048 Nov 16 00:00 property

drwxrwxr-x 1 1000 1000 2048 Nov 16 00:01 system

drwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1000 2048 Nov 16 05:56 tombstones

drwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 2048 Aug 1 2008 xbin

/ #

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Nov 18 03:01 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Nov 18 03:01 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

No problem, the application directories are symlinked to your sd card, all other data resides on the data partition. That's the way it should be.

HTH

Niki

I partitioned my sd-card yesterday by reserving 500MB for apps. But now I recall I forgot to reserve some space for co-pilot. Co-pilot takes approximately 1GB space. Is it possible to make a backup of the apps partition, then repartition my whole sd card and put the apps-partition with all the content in a new, bigger partition? Otherwise, I have to setup and install all those programs again :)

Guest Atze001
No problem, the application directories are symlinked to your sd card, all other data resides on the data partition. That's the way it should be.

HTH

Niki

OK. But why I have less memory? >95mb. With the same APPS on Drizzys Rom I have more than 150mb free.

Hi,

Im a complete newbie at this. Ive just updated my Hero to the latest T-mobile build. Do I need to update my radio and if so how do I do that and which one do I update to. I dont want to mess up my phone so some detailed instructions would be much appreciated.

Sorry about all the questions.

so you want us to read them for you or do you want to read them yourself? it is all in the stickies, if you don't want to read it yourself i suggest you put an ad in the newspaper to find someone to do it...

Guest kwiksand
I partitioned my sd-card yesterday by reserving 500MB for apps. But now I recall I forgot to reserve some space for co-pilot. Co-pilot takes approximately 1GB space. Is it possible to make a backup of the apps partition, then repartition my whole sd card and put the apps-partition with all the content in a new, bigger partition? Otherwise, I have to setup and install all those programs again :)

This is fine, Copilot stores its data on the SD DATA, not the apps partition/area. How would not-in-the-know users install Co-pilot if they hadn't gone to the effort of a custom ROM and APPS2SD. 500MB is more than enough

OK. But why I have less memory? >95mb. With the same APPS on Drizzys Rom I have more than 150mb free.

because mcr2.9 handles odex files and the dalvik cache in another way than previous versions and probably than drizzy's rom. this topic was discussed extensivley already, try to search for it.

Guest _unknown_

Running Modaco's firware 2.9 for over a week now but have a problem with it when opening a contact and hit do a find location.

"android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. - Force close" error."

I googled it but it seems a google contact sync issue but haven't found any solution for it except to just wait and hoping it will go away?

What i did was making only 1 contact with full info (name, sure name, date of birth and street info), synced with my Hero and viewed contact to see how it would look like. And like i said i selected find location function of that contact and it gave me that acore error.

"android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. - Force close" error."

Another issue i have is installed stock widgets, i followd instructions on first page and wiped all useless apps i don't need and never will but when looking in appilication management i still see the stock widgets for it there. Is there a way to remove them also instead of just only the main app?

Thanks in advance.

Problem is solved, i needed to install Google maps. I was under the impression that maps was installed by default (as it was in "stock mode" i thought) but it didn't. Installed it, problem gone.

Edited by _unknown_

Guest Keramidas

Jeez, this is 95MB of flash storage memory, not RAM. Having more than 30-40MB free in /data is totally unnecessary. Moving everything to your sdcard just doesn't make sense: it will not only cost you sdcard space - it will slow down your whole phone as well !

If you really want to free up space in /data, just move your dalvik-cache to /cache and you will have maximum free space WITHOUT any performance hit. I explained at least twice how to do it, in this thread.

hello paul

many many thanks for the masterpiece u have created

i have few questions for u

1. when r u releasing update with android 2.0

2. i have made 3 partitions on my sd card == 3gb fat32 , 746 ext3 , 33 linux, in this order, then i installed ur custom rom by putting files on root sd acrd

3. now my question is whether apps bundled are installed on sdcard or phone memory, from now on whether my programs will get installed on sdcard or what

3. give me urgent reply as my phone shoes 112 mb free. is it normal or what?

hello paul

many many thanks for the masterpiece u have created

i have few questions for u

1. when r u releasing update with android 2.0

2. i have made 3 partitions on my sd card == 3gb fat32 , 746 ext3 , 33 linux, in this order, then i installed ur custom rom by putting files on root sd acrd

3. now my question is whether apps bundled are installed on sdcard or phone memory, from now on whether my programs will get installed on sdcard or what

3. give me urgent reply as my phone shoes 112 mb free. is it normal or what?

1. probably not before it is released...

2. aha

3. most bundled apps in phone memory, new ones go to sdcard

4. yes it is normal. 112mb free, though we don't know whether you mean ram or storage. what is not normal is your way of asking.

1. probably not before it is released...

2. aha

3. most bundled apps in phone memory, new ones go to sdcard

4. yes it is normal. 112mb free, though we don't know whether you mean ram or storage. what is not normal is your way of asking.

hey i am new in this, ok thanks for answering!

i wanted to know that is there a way to save all those bundled apps to sdcard.

i am checking in menu> settings> sd card & Phone storage > Internal phone storage

how do u know how much ram is free?

hey i am new in this, ok thanks for answering!

i wanted to know that is there a way to save all those bundled apps to sdcard.

i am checking in menu> settings> sd card & Phone storage > Internal phone storage

how do u know how much ram is free?

i think some of the apps need to reside in the internal storage. for example if you have an app that wants to enable gps it needs to sit in /system/app. don't know why, but i am sure this applies to other features than gps also.

for ram: get a taskmanager that show the free memory.

and yet again, do you have any idea why you want to have more free phone storage? as long as it is not full it won't cause anything, and 112 mb is far from full.

Edited by kendon

i think some of the apps need to reside in the internal storage. for example if you have an app that wants to enable gps it needs to sit in /system/app. don't know why, but i am sure this applies to other features than gps also.

for ram: get a taskmanager that show the free memory.

and yet again, do you have any idea why you want to have more free phone storage? as long as it is not full it won't cause anything, and 112 mb is far from full.

again thanks with the reply, i appreciate that.

i have flashed htc ruu update & it shows 140 mb free , thaught it may slow down the phone , so i wanted to make more funspace to work with

just now before some time i experienced all applications force close & phone restarted,

why do u think this problem cropped up now.

i have reinstalled everything & formatted sdcard with fat32 & ext3 partitions taken out swap now

everything works . that is what i think at least

Guest worcester4x4

This topic keeps leaving me way behind :)

I still have a problem with a particular hero, it's a stock HTC supplied one. A while back I installed 2.8 which installed and booted OK but I had no signal at all, the signal indicators didn't even appear. In stock form it's absolutely fine. Anyway, I did a nandroid restore back to original factory settings and all is working again.

Tonight I was bored so I thought I'd have another go, this time with 2.9.

It installed OK but when I rebooted it got stuck in an endless loop between the htc logo and the HERO logo screen.

Exactly the same copy of 2.9 installed and ran absolutely fine on my G2.

So what's going on with this recalcitrant hero? Is there anything else I should try?

I'm thinking of installing the generic HTC upgrade (from their site) and then putting 2.9 on top of that, not that it should make any difference I suppose.

What does everyone else think I should do?