10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sheppy1
Well, after a few hours I can say the crashes are gone! There are three differences between the current setup and the old one:

datatracker app,

fring app

and google maps.

yes currently the google maps disappeared from the device! I didn't find on the market so I installed the market enabler too. After faking different providers still not find the google maps.

Its on the market at all? (i've searched "google maps", "google map", and "map" strings)

I thought it was just me who didn't have Google Maps, good to see someone else with this problem I suppose. I installed this ROM a few days go you see and since then I have been tweaking it and removing apps here and there, I thought I had accidentally deleted Google Maps, but maybe I haven't if your having the same problem, I too have tried searching all over the market for it and I can't find it

Guest sheppy1
Well, after a few hours I can say the crashes are gone! There are three differences between the current setup and the old one:

datatracker app,

fring app

and google maps.

yes currently the google maps disappeared from the device! I didn't find on the market so I installed the market enabler too. After faking different providers still not find the google maps.

Its on the market at all? (i've searched "google maps", "google map", and "map" strings)

If you want a fix for the Google Maps problem then do this, it worked for me:

Run these commands in ADB

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/sd/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*maps*

adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps

adb install com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

adb shell rm /system/sd/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*maps*

adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps

Just do them all even if it says "Directory not found" or something like that, then finally just download the GoogleMaps.apk that's attached and then double click it and install it through HTC Sync. Done.

Google_Maps.zip

Guest garbiel

I love you!!! Thank you very much. I do have a question!! Does this mean that i can now download the official firmware from HTC and install that, or do i have to wait for your versions everytime??

Guest sheppy1
I love you!!! Thank you very much. I do have a question!! Does this mean that i can now download the official firmware from HTC and install that, or do i have to wait for your versions everytime??

You will have to wait for MoDaCo custom ROMs, if you update to an official HTC firmware it will unroot your phone and you will have to redo the whole rooting process if you want to install custom ROMs again

Guest teknologist

Just a quick message to let you all know I release a version 1.9 of the Teknologist custom kernel (just some really small bugfixes for wifi tethering issues and a few other -changelog is on my website)

As always it is available on my website here.

Please report success/failures in the Teknologist kernel topic

Cheers !

Guest wossName

I've been running the 2.9 release for about a week now, thought I'd post my experiences:

Contrary to the release notes, I had to wipe my settings to get past the reboot loop, even though I had the latest official HTC release installed. I also flashed the recommended radio firmware. After setting everything up again, I had problems with the WLAN getting stuck in the "Turning off WLAN" phase, and only a reboot could fix it. After going back to the previous radio firmware, everything is running smoothly so far.

Apart from these initial problems, the release is running stable and with good performance. I'm seeing a little lag in the home screen, but it doesn't bother me much. I really love the ability to remove some of the built-in apps!

About the Wifi status tool: I'm using the Locale app to handle this automatically, so I also have no use for it.

Thanks for your work, I'm really looking foward to 2.0!

Guest teknologist
I've been running the 2.9 release for about a week now, thought I'd post my experiences:

Contrary to the release notes, I had to wipe my settings to get past the reboot loop, even though I had the latest official HTC release installed. I also flashed the recommended radio firmware. After setting everything up again, I had problems with the WLAN getting stuck in the "Turning off WLAN" phase, and only a reboot could fix it. After going back to the previous radio firmware, everything is running smoothly so far.

Apart from these initial problems, the release is running stable and with good performance. I'm seeing a little lag in the home screen, but it doesn't bother me much. I really love the ability to remove some of the built-in apps!

About the Wifi status tool: I'm using the Locale app to handle this automatically, so I also have no use for it.

Thanks for your work, I'm really looking foward to 2.0!

You mean 3.0 ? ;-)

From what Paul just told me, should be out this week and include .66 leaked ROM + new busybox and my new 1.9 kernel posted an hour ago.

If you are on MCR 2.9 I'd recommend you update the kernel to v 1.9 (see previous post) as it fixes Wifi issues with wifi tether and is a bit faster IMO...

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
Oops, no, I was thinking about Android 2.0. :D That's likely a few months off, though. What's the .66 ROM?

.66 is a leaked ROM that surfaced last week..

oh yes, we are all waiting for 2.0....seems it's gonna be a 2.1..maybe for xmas gift ! ;-)

Guest freddirty
might be worth a shot to just do it all over. do this:

- partition your sdcard

- wipe everything

- copy radio and mcr2.9 zip to sdcard

- install JU radio

- reboot once

- wipe everything

- flash mcr2.9

- wipe everything

if it doesn't work then report back. if it does, report also.

After a longer experince I can say the last step doesn't necessary. Google maps and wifi tether (and probably others) are disappeared. So I just:

- rebooted into recovery mode

- wiped everything

- flashed MCR 2.9

- rebooted again

Looks like I have a stable and complete (wifi tether+google maps are available) system now.

wow this is great news.

(that 3.0 is on the way)

i am running 2.9 for 2 weeks now, i am very happy its very stable and offers lot more functionality.

but occasionally my phone shows random force close errors & they will not stop untill i yank battery out or restart phone. why this happens i have made 3 partitions on my sdcard. all apps are on ext3.

what is advantage of ext3 to ext4?

Edited by dr_ysp

I'm having the same issues as dr_ysp regarding the force close errors. I've been running 2.9 for nearly a week now and it's the most problems i have ever experienced with any MCR version. I have never had any issues with the previous builds.

The force closes appear randomly while running applications and the only way to get rid of them is to reboot the phone or pull out the battery. The Sense UI refuses to re-open on its own. It's rather irritating because rebooting takes a while.

Hope the next release will fix these issues. Other than that, i'm lovin it! :D

Edited by ruph

Guest Keramidas
what is advantage of ext3 to ext4?

ext4 is a little bit faster than ext3 when writing big files, and fragments a bit less too. But it's not worth upgrading imho, because that filesystem is only written to while installing apps.

Guest hotwire

Hi there,

I need your help, because evidently I have done something wrong installing the 2.9 ROM.

At the moment I am facing the problem, that after applying the update and rebooting the phone, I never reach the homescreen anymore. The phone just cycles through the boot procedure, showing the HTC logo and the android logo.

I had installed the official 2.73.405.5 WWE ROM, then I rooted with flashrec-1.1.3-20091107 and loaded recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img.

After that I rebooted, chose the 2.9-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip and the whole process went flawlessly. But after that I'm stuck, because even after rebooting I cycle through the boot process. I have waited over 30 minutes, so obviously something must be wrong.

Maybe anyone can help me and point me in the right direction, what I might do otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I had installed the official 2.73.405.5 WWE ROM, then I rooted with flashrec-1.1.3-20091107 and loaded recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img.

After that I rebooted, chose the 2.9-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip and the whole process went flawlessly. But after that I'm stuck, because even after rebooting I cycle through the boot process.

Hi Michael,

Did you do a wipe? If not, that might be the problem.

Please try a wipe from recovery and re-apply the custom ROM.

Please report back if you were successful.

Guest hotwire
Hi Michael,

Did you do a wipe? If not, that might be the problem.

Please try a wipe from recovery and re-apply the custom ROM.

Please report back if you were successful.

Actually, thanks a lot. It did work, who thought, that even on an original clean install 2.73.405.5 from HTC you still need to perform a wipe, before applying the MCR 2.9.

btw: I know, that Android 2.0 is still not out for the Hero, but what about Android 1.6?

Has anyone implemented that into a ROM yet? I'm curious, because I would like to see the universal search feature, which 1.5 does not support.

So, thanks again.

Edited by hotwire

Guest Xero Xenith

I don't think 1.6 was ever released for the Hero, so there would be nothing to go off.

To Paul - huge, huge thanks for putting this together! It worked like a charm, now I'm a happy bunny. Seems notably faster than before! :D

Guest Hyuk-Sin Park

Sweet, I can't install this ROM. I have a PVT32B (T-Mobile MyTouch) and I get errors while I do a flash. Really wanted to try out your ROM. Sounds solid. I guess back to CyanogenMod for now. I'll be checking back for updates for sure! :D

Edited by Hyuk-Sin Park

Sweet, I can't install this ROM. I have a PVT32B (T-Mobile MyTouch) and I get errors while I do a flash. Really wanted to try out your ROM. Sounds solid. I guess back to CyanogenMod for now. I'll be checking back for updates for sure! :D

That's because this ROM is for a HERO!

P

Sr

I had the same problem, even after wiping the device. Eventually I sorted the problem out by reformatting my SD card as FAT32 and then used Amon's RA-hero-v1.3.2 Recovery Rom to repartition the SD card. Once this was done the device booted properly and I could copy everything back to the FAT partition on the SD card (which I had obviously backed up first).

Hi,

We are having a conversation in a different forum about whether modaco 2.9 is able to successfuly format an sdcard. Have you formatted your card with modaco 2.9 in the settings/sd card & phone settings menu? Or have you used your desktop op. system?

Thank you!

We are having a conversation in a different forum about whether modaco 2.9 is able to successfuly format an sdcard. Have you formatted your card with modaco 2.9 in the settings/sd card & phone settings menu? Or have you used your desktop op. system?

I originally partitioned the card on my PC using Acronis Disk Director, but had problems with the reboot loop. I then reformatted the whole card as FAT32 in Windows and used the Partition option in Amon's RA-hero-v1.3.2 Recovery. I was not aware that there was an option to format in MdoDaCo's ROM and I could not have used this anyway as I was stuck in the reboot cycle.

Maybe I will try it with my spare SD card when Paul next produces an update.

Guest teknologist
Sweet, I can't install this ROM. I have a PVT32B (T-Mobile MyTouch) and I get errors while I do a flash. Really wanted to try out your ROM. Sounds solid. I guess back to CyanogenMod for now. I'll be checking back for updates for sure!

LOL

Edited by teknologist