10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ThomasJ
Upgraded from the 3.1rc2 to the custom baked 3.1. I removed several applications when baking and I did a wipe before applying update. But when the phone booted all my app were still there. Including some that I had unchecked during baking.

Does this have anything to do with app2sd? I assume wiping deletes /data, but /data/apps which is on the ext2 partition on the SD it was probably not wiped. Am I totally off track here?

Several of the apps FC'ed on start, but after a reinstall of those app stuff is now working fine.

You are right on the money.

The wipe does not affect your apps2sd partition in any way. You will need to manually uninstall apps you do not want from there (or wipe your apps2sd partition)

I have also found it quite common that i need to reinstall some apps after a wipe in order to prevent crashes.

Guest lemmingzappa
This can be found in "My Controls" ?

Yes, click on "Purchase Paid Subscriptions". (The ad-free account is sufficient for kitchen access, but you can pay for Plus if you want to donate more and gain extra access)

Then you will have access to the kitchen which can be found here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...online-kitchen/

Edited by lemmingzappa

Guest v_iliev

I've just baked & flashed - no wipe. The first time it started quickly (1-2 mins.).

When I checked the About - I saw 3.0.1 REBOOT REQUIRED - I've turned off the phone, then on,

since then - it only has the HERO logo (no animation) and nothing happens - should I wait more or do something else ?

Guest lemmingzappa
Found and paid...!

Thanks again Paul (and all others behind the scene)

:)

Let me know what it's like to have the plus account. I'm not fully sure what all the advantages are over the ad-free.

Guest 24_7_Addict
Let me know what it's like to have the plus account. I'm not fully sure what all the advantages are over the ad-free.

Ok, besides from the good feeling I'm helping out, I'm still looking for the extra benifits. :)

Guest ikamatos
Ok, besides from the good feeling I'm helping out, I'm still looking for the extra benifits. :)

Are u kidding? You get the beta versions, you get the Kitchen, Paul's private cell phone, etc...

Well, maybe not Paul's cell phone but you get a lot and he keeps increasing benefits.

Regards,

H

Edited by ikamatos

Guest v_iliev
I've just baked & flashed - no wipe. The first time it started quickly (1-2 mins.).

When I checked the About - I saw 3.0.1 REBOOT REQUIRED - I've turned off the phone, then on,

since then - it only has the HERO logo (no animation) and nothing happens - should I wait more or do something else ?

Got it working now :

Rebooted, entered Recovery, selected Reboot and it started in 2 mins 

Edited by v_iliev

Guest 24_7_Addict
Are u kidding? You get the beta versions, you get the Kitchen, Paul's private cell phone, etc...

Well, maybe not Paul's cell phone but you get a lot and he keeps increasing benefits.

Regards,

H

Oke, other stupid question, where can I find al those things?

I found the kitchen and baked me a custom ROM but where is the livingroom?

Guest starfarer

Reading with interest and indeed an excellent concept.

At the moment I've MCR3.0 that's been heavily stripped of most things that I don't use. The reason I removed is

1) I don't use it eg Stock, Twit, Launcher, HTC widgets like bookmarks, Weather etc

2) I've "other" much better/preferred option eg PDF viewer ( BeamReader) , Calculator ( RealCalc), Office (Docs2go) etc.

3) hate clutters.

So Is there any real benefit to install "stripped" version ROM(custom build) over to remove manually later on?

what will not work in Hero if remove jbed java?

Cheers.

Guest Dan Mullen
So Is there any real benefit to install "stripped" version ROM(custom build) over to remove manually later on?

No difference - if you're happy removing it manually, that's fine :) Just saves time if you can flash a new ROM with all the junk you don't want already stripped out.

what will not work in Hero if remove jbed java?

It won't break anything - it's there if you want to run Java midlets.

Guest Chicaned
Hi Paul,

Baked a rom without Google Maps and Google Voice Search. Now I can't find them in the marketplace to download the latest versions. Any ideas? BTW I did a clean install ;-)

Keep up the great work.

Alright Paul,

Could this be the reason Google Maps and Google Voice Search don't appear in the market?

Thank you Paul! ;)

Just cooked myself an almost completely stripped ROM (left only Java and Spare Parts - can't live without the fine tuning or Opera Mini 5 :)) and, yeah, I like the speed, the homescreen and everything (yeah, I could've just selected another home screen, but this is way cooler B)).

Guest JamesKing

Does anyone else have a problem when searching programs/apps?

If you open the apps screen (big list of app icons) and press the search button then I get the search box, but very shortly after, it seems to assume I've long pressed the search button and google voice search starts.

I know it is assuming I have long pressed, because until I set google voice search as default to long press, it would give me the option of "quick reply" in HandCent or the voice search. Which are both functions that are activated by a long press of the search button.

In other queries, Would it be possible to remove the stock (HTC Sense?) messages program and widget? I only use the HandCent SMS program so have no need of this.

James

Guest Skywrit3r
Does anyone else have a problem when searching programs/apps?

If you open the apps screen (big list of app icons) and press the search button then I get the search box, but very shortly after, it seems to assume I've long pressed the search button and google voice search starts.

I tried it and the same thing happens to me

Guest cyberon

Everything working fine here!

Recovery image: recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2

Rom: 3.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed

Radio: update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29-signed

:)

Guest Gustaf87

What is the system names for Titanium backup and the HTC Widgets that are included in 3.1 so I can delete them?

Great ROM and great work! Loving it as usual! :)

Guest Dan Mullen
Me three!

Voice search has always been started with a short press for me, not just in MCR 3.1. In fact, I thought that was the expected behaviour!

Guest themadczech

Having some problems with Settings and Acore processes. Keeps crashing on me when trying to access Exchange Activesync or sync with Exchange.

In my custom "bake" I excluded Mail. Guess I have to keep it :/

Guest gegegwt

Hi Paul, thank you for your hard work at making these roms, im now a premium member, and started downloading my cooked rom :)

Hopefully this will be even faster than 3.0 B)

Guest daweiba

I saw it can delete HTC SENES,so i cost 9.99pounds to buy it for one year!but why it is diffirent from standard Android Launcher ?espaciall the line at the top of screen,it's black as htc sense.you know, standard Android Launcher is white.

i really don't like HTC SENSE,so could you help me ?thank you veru much paul!

Guest werziluk

Can anybody confirm if they have another version of Google Maps working instead of the standard that Paul includes in MCR3.1.....

I do not need you to post links because chances are it is going to be illegal content. I just want some confirmation if any other version out there works?