10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hmmm, that should work. I bet you wiped after installing the ROM instead of before didn't you... :)

Yes I did, after ending in reboot loop during installation. So reinstalling mcr will sove it? If yes, I'll wait for 3.1.

Guest kendon

installed it, works. don't have time for extensive testing atm, but since there were complaints about wifi: works for me with wpa2 and JU radio. i am not able to install the htc widgets either, i guess my last wipe was on 2.9 or 3.0... this sucks, i hope you can make it work by putting them in the rom. i tried pushing the files to my filesystem on 3.0, resulted in bootloop... i'd really like to use the widgets, but wiping is not an option atm.

Pay £9.99 for the latest update the page reckons. Clever marketing ploy is what ticked through my head, but I don't want to pay £9.99. So I resolve: who cares.

Then I thought 'hang on trstn', how many MCR roms have you installed since getting the Hero, and what's each one done to your phone? Loads better to use each time, and £9.99 is totally worth paying to say thanks if nothing else.

So now I'm paid up, thanks Paul, looking forward to installing this.

Guest kookix

I have an issue with 3.1b1, my 3G+ (HSDPA) download is really bad : about 70-100 kbps against < 1800 kbps on MCR 3.0. Upload seems to be good.

New HTC widgets works (it worked also when i'm in 3.0)

All others stuff seems to be ok.

Edited by kookix

Guest ritdaw
New version uploaded!

Changelog

Beta 2

- Additional performance enhancements

- All 4 available HTC widgets now included in ROM

Enjoy! :)

P

Excellent work. Care to comment on some of these performance enhancements?

Guest scar4ace

Paul

Im addressing u directly for the first time and ive been visting this site (non member) since i got my hero last sept.

Im sorry - I have avoided trying to ask u questions coz obv ur dealing with much higher things but maybe u can help me.

I started with the 1.73 official ROM for htc hero (unlocked, white, UK, no carrier specific)...then used the RUU to officialy get 2.73.405.5

After using that for some time I decided to go the rooting/modaco custom rom way...

I flashed recovery image (flashrec.apk and Amon RAs image), and loaded mcr2.8.

everything was brilliant!!! better battery, faster, great customisations, using wifi tethering etc. everything worked.

the only problem was i noticed my SMS started delaying...upto a couple hours late which didnt happen on the official ROMs.

now - is this a common issue (when moving from official to mcr), doesnt seem to be...i even deleted the smsmms.db file to solve problem but no luck.

i wanted to upgrade radio from the xxx_EUxxx version to the xxx_JUxx but i know some ppl complain their wifi had probs etc and since ev thing working with me on official ROM and MCR2.8 with the xxx_EUxx radio version already on my device then didnt want to risk it.

I dont want to be on official ROM....I want to use ur roms/customistations/add on and even try out this beta version...but the SMS delay problem worried me....also im sure I want to get the leaked android 2.1 quickly with ur customisations too.....but this SMS issue...is it normal, how do i resolve it...have u any thoughts on it?

regards

S

Guest sjoerdos92

D'oh, is all i can say right now B) I'd like this ROM, paying is no problem, but the paypal is.... now i'm waiting for an payment to confirm my bank account..... We'll see tomorrow , i would have loved it if i could have played with this today :)

Keep up the good work!

Guest Iggy82

I know it says limited but I didn't think it would cut out whilst I was downloading!!?

Has the server gone down or something? If I try to re-download, its just takes me to the Modaco News page!??

Guest thecastlefordkid

Beta 2.........Excellent!

No longer do I have to turn off the window animations/transitions to improve the speed.

All HTC widgets work well.

Browser seems to load pages over WiFi so much quicker too, even web sites I've never loaded up on my Hero.

Got loads of work stuff to do over the next couple of hours (emails, calendar stuff, calls, messenger stuff). Gonna do it all on Hero using Beta 2. That should give it a pretty good thrashing.

Guest zekeasakura
I know it says limited but I didn't think it would cut out whilst I was downloading!!?

Has the server gone down or something? If I try to re-download, its just takes me to the Modaco News page!??

It works for me so just try another browser (i'm on chrome).

Edited by zekeasakura

Guest teknologist

I will be releasing in the coming days, a very small update.zip to disable compcache for people who want to run TCK without compache.

Also, a UI app to toggle compcache without rebooting and also setting disksize_kb is coming.

I'll keep you posted in my TCK topic !

It will be called MCR settings and might be bundled in next MCR releases.

Sorry , no timeframe yet !

Cheers !

Guest Iggy82
It works for me so just try another browser (i'm on chrome).

I was already using Chrome, so used plain old IE, but still same problem. So I closed Chrome (which was still open) and IE, re-opened Chrome and tried again and it worked fine. Now gotta wait about an hour since my download speed is so s***!

Had the same sort of problem with Chrome the other day, I was downloading something then it stopped early, I re-downloaded again but this time it downloaded at over 1200kb/ps (impossible on my 8mb broadband, I rarely get 4mb connection at best of times!). So wierd.

Guest kendon
Paul, thank you very much for this Beta.

Damn, never knew booting up after installing a new update could be this quick. Oo

lol, i was about to yell "BOOTLOOP" because it took so long :) on beta 1. haven't tried 2, to tired now, more tomorrow.

Guest Chelsea FC

Awsome dude, nice work ( even for an Arsenal fan lol )

Same problem as the other guys, can't install HTC widgets, did'nt wipe beforehand.

PS. came from 3.0 :)

Guest paaland
I have a couple of questions: Will I loose my purchased apps on Market upgrading ROMs? Or are they tied to my google account so I can re-download at no cost?

Also I use Sygic Mobile Maps (car gps nav) and it generates a device id that needs to match the maps for activation. Will upgrading the ROM change my device id somehow?

To answer my second question myself:

Just did a compleate wipe/factory reset and then installed beta 2.

Reinstalled Sygic Mobile Maps and had no problems activating the maps, so apparently the device id was unchanged. Good to know.

Guest Dan Mullen
To answer my second question myself:

Just did a compleate wipe/factory reset and then installed beta 2.

Reinstalled Sygic Mobile Maps and had no problems activating the maps, so apparently the device id was unchanged. Good to know.

They probably go by the MAC address of the phone.

Guest Dan Mullen

Quick one Paul - I'm on 3.0 and the new HTC widgets work fine. When 3.1 is released, should I uninstall the ones I installed through the Market, or doesn't it matter?

Guest BoogWeed

Woohoo!

Ok, so I'm now back on MCR 3.0 with Ammon Ra 1.5.2.

I used Ammon Ra to partition the SD Card, what's the easiest way to check if A2SD is working properly?