If you flashed the 2.73 RUU and got the new hboot...

Guest PaulOBrien

...you will have noticed you can't 'fastboot boot' the recovery image again for rooting or using the new recovery image.

All is not lost though!

You can use flashrec to flash the patched recovery, from where you can do all the usual stuff (and even put the old hboot back on if you want!)

Handy! Thanks Magnus for the heads up...

P

Guest rappetor

This is the tool that uses the exploit right? Won't there be a problem once they actually fix that?

Guess I'll be better sticking with your custom roms then :)

Edited by rappetor

Guest chuti98

how can I use this app? I did install the program but it's so complicate and no explain how

Edit: Found solution and flash back cm-hero-recovery.img

Edited by chuti98

I've tried many times, but I don't know how it works.

I tested both option:

*Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4

*Restore Backup Recovery Image

-How to use the box where I can type text ?

Still have the message:

"fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)"

Please Help.

how can I use this app? I did install the program but it's so complicate and no explain how

Edit: Found solution and flash back cm-hero-recovery.img

chuti98, how did you get it to work, please explain. Thanks.

Guest markzladz

Hi,

I know this is probably blaringly obvious and has been addressed before but I only just heard of flashing like today. I want to put "update-hero-generic-2.73.405.5-rooted-signed.zip" on my htc her orange UK phone. Do i need to rename the file to update.zip? Also all these files, are they basically just images for the phone?

Thanks

Hi,

I know this is probably blaringly obvious and has been addressed before but I only just heard of flashing like today. I want to put "update-hero-generic-2.73.405.5-rooted-signed.zip" on my htc her orange UK phone. Do i need to rename the file to update.zip? Also all these files, are they basically just images for the phone?

Thanks

I'm new to the flashing on hero aswell, but I just successfully upgraded mine a few hours ago with the enhanced version of the firmware (it was already updated to the stock 2.73.405.5..).

The filename doesn't matter since you can choose either update.zip, og any zip on the sdcard. Just leave the name as is, the recovery menu can handle both.

The path for installing the recovery firmware in fastrec is "/sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img", not "sd/cm-hero-recovery.img".

I used linux and the latest precompiled 32bit sdk, on a 64bit ubuntu.

(Those files are images for the phone, I went with the enhanced version which works great also. The recovery menu will handle all installation, however I made a backup before applying the new firmware. Just use the "backup ..." in the menu.)

Edited by screemo

Guest markzladz
I'm new to the flashing on hero aswell, but I just successfully upgraded mine a few hours ago with the enhanced version of the firmware (it was already updated to the stock 2.73.405.5..).

The filename doesn't matter since you can choose either update.zip, og any zip on the sdcard. Just leave the name as is, the recovery menu can handle both.

The path for installing the recovery firmware in fastrec is "/sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img", not "sd/cm-hero-recovery.img".

I used linux and the latest precompiled 32bit sdk, on a 64bit ubuntu.

(Those files are images for the phone, I went with the enhanced version which works great also. The recovery menu will handle all installation, however I made a backup before applying the new firmware. Just use the "backup ..." in the menu.)

CHEERS! I can't believe how painless the process is! its wicked. I did it at work coz I was a bit bored. The new ROM worked really well. I didn't try the radio version though. Wot exactly does that do? There was an earlier post saying that it frakked up their phone but apparently its coz it was the magic as opposed to the hero.

Cheers for everything tho!

CHEERS! I can't believe how painless the process is! its wicked. I did it at work coz I was a bit bored. The new ROM worked really well. I didn't try the radio version though. Wot exactly does that do? There was an earlier post saying that it frakked up their phone but apparently its coz it was the magic as opposed to the hero.

Cheers for everything tho!

hi its not working.. i flash it

it gives a botton "reboot to recovery"

and if i press it it does nothing.. also when i try to get the fastboot

i type adb shell and it still gives me t $ and not the #...

what to do?? :)

i have to root it cuz i cant get my fonts on it :)

edit: ok got it!!! i had to push POWER + HOME and not Back! :)

thanks!!!

Edited by liavk1

Put the cm-recovery.img in your root sd card

open program flashrec in your phone press backup

and then put in the box "sd/cm-recovery.img and "

without quaote then press flash

Edited by chuti98

Please help me. I flashed and then tried to install the update and now my phone just boot loops over and over. I cannot get it to boot back up.

can you still reach the recovery mode with home + power button when you are turning on your phone ?

Edited by cTn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smartphone.net.pl

Recovery flasher doesn't work for me - after typing path to file with filename button changing from "download "image" to "Flash Recovery Image" but remains grayed - not working.

Recovery flasher starting with error: Backup FAILED - could not run command

Guest dk1982

Dear Paul,

I updated my T-Mobile G2 Touch with the RUU that was posted up on the T-Mobile UK Website yesterday evening... I did a nandroid back up thinking that if I didn't like the ROM I would revert to your MODACO 2.2 version. Having noticed that the phone got completed wiped by the new ROM. I did steps to RE-ROOT the phone using flash rec + Cyanogen 1.4 .... The "Flash recover image" remianed greyed out... I have been looking everywhere for some step by step instructions on how to RE-Root the phone and get the custom Roms MD 2.2 back on but with no luck....

Is there a way to do this.... ?

Some help from the Forum members and "savvys" would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Darren

Guest dredwerker
Dear Paul,

I updated my T-Mobile G2 Touch with the RUU that was posted up on the T-Mobile UK Website yesterday evening... I did a nandroid back up thinking that if I didn't like the ROM I would revert to your MODACO 2.2 version. Having noticed that the phone got completed wiped by the new ROM. I did steps to RE-ROOT the phone using flash rec + Cyanogen 1.4 .... The "Flash recover image" remianed greyed out... I have been looking everywhere for some step by step instructions on how to RE-Root the phone and get the custom Roms MD 2.2 back on but with no luck....

Is there a way to do this.... ?

Some help from the Forum members and "savvys" would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Darren

I second this - I just updated to the t-mobile update and then tried to root using flashrec and it no workee or I am an idiot :)

I wanted to get 1.6 on my phone as I was embarassed when asked if I had the latest firmware and I had to say no. I should get out more I know.

TIA

Guest dredwerker
Basically we are screwed until someone way cleverer than us comes up with another kernel exploit.

They could do it a bit quicker - who doesnt want to spend all their spare time fixing my probs :)

Guest dredwerker
any fix for this yet?

Obviously not :)

Has anyone got any idea, if this is a bit of time and they know how to fix it(if they put the effort in) or is it a complete baffler and might never be fixed.

Guest Remington Steale

Posted by the Superb Amon_Ra over at XDA devs:

Originally Posted by Amon_RA View Post

I've seen that someone has an RUU updater of a test HERO ROM signed with test-keys, these mostly contain engineerings SPL's too....

I hope he'll release it soon.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest dredwerker
Posted by the Superb Amon_Ra over at XDA devs:

Originally Posted by Amon_RA View Post

I've seen that someone has an RUU updater of a test HERO ROM signed with test-keys, these mostly contain engineerings SPL's too....

I hope he'll release it soon.

This is the way to fix the prob using a goldcard image.

Just read the instructions carefully :)

Thanks to the software providers and people who had input to the fix.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=572683