Custom ringtones and notifications

Guest markiemrboo

Guest markiemrboo

It doesn't seem to be explained anywhere, but it's really easy to do... so I will quickly post it here for any other Android n00bs like myself!

Create the following directory structure on your sdcard root folder (all lower case):

media/audio/notifications

media/audio/ringtones

Put mp3's in these folders, depending on whether you want to use it as a ringtone or notification sound. Go to Settings -> Sound & Display -> "Phone ringtone" or "Notification sound". Your newly added mp3's should now be available for selection in those lists :-)

Guest rhedgehog

it shouldn't even be that complicated.

just create \notifications, \ringtones, and \alarms on the root of the card and it should work as well.

at least it does on every hero i've tried it with.

Guest markiemrboo

just create \notifications, \ringtones, and \alarms on the root of the card and it should work as well.

See. Great stuff. I didn't know that :-) That's pretty smart, thanks!!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest SuperSneakHat

That's not complicated that's keeping order. It becomes a total mess when everything just creates something in the root of the card.

What is annoying though is that all these "secret" directories are not listed anywhere...

• 2 months later...
Guest jonesian

Do you mean just create a folder on the removable disc file and label it media/audio/ringtones?

I tried that, and I can't find it on the phone to set my ringtone?

• 3 months later...
Guest Remington Steale
Do you mean just create a folder on the removable disc file and label it media/audio/ringtones?

I tried that, and I can't find it on the phone to set my ringtone?

No, create a folder called media then a folder inside that called audio then a folder inside that containing your mp3's called ringtones

Guest jonesian
No, create a folder called media then a folder inside that called audio then a folder inside that containing your mp3's called ringtones

Sorted - nice one ta!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest ortholithos

Hello - sorry to open it all up again.

I have a hero (2.1 modaco rom , just installed )

I used above methods before rom flash, and had custom ringtones& notification. Default ringtone is no problem as you can set that from the file itsself wherever it is (set as ringtone) Notifications don't have that facility.

Now as above i cannot access my custom ringtones. . I have tried all paths --- ended up having made and copied mp3s to:

/sd /media/audio/notifications

/sd/audio/notification

/system/media/audio/notifications (the mp3s are listed there, right alongside all the stock tones) [using roote explorer for access here]

the mp3s exist in all of these locations now, but from the SMS messages programme, the list of notifications offered still does NOT include my custom tones.

Perhaps I ought to mention that, i thought I got it working yesterday, using the root folder, but it seems to have reverted. i wouldn't swear to it though as my brain has ssoftened recently !!!

Many thanks,

A

Edited by ortholithos