Rate Hero?

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting a Hero, partly to have something shiny to play with.

I've read a review where they said it was slow/unresponsive though, and I'd had enough of that with Win mobile.

Are people happy/thrilled with the performance of theirs?

Guest Igniztion

Performance is ok with the stock ROM. With the leaked HTC update or MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.0 the performance is excellent. No complaints at all anymore.

The update should hopefully be released by HTC very soon so that the sluggish performance complaints stop whirling around the web.

Performance is ok with the stock ROM. With the leaked HTC update or MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.0 the performance is excellent. No complaints at all anymore.

The update should hopefully be released by HTC very soon so that the sluggish performance complaints stop whirling around the web.

You have to put the "sluggish performance" in to perspective.. Most speak of this in relation to an iPhone. Sometimes, this is correct, in some circumstances the iPhone responds a bit faster than the Hero. However compared to Windows mobile (lates experience with custom optimized roms on my Omnia), the Hero is very responsive.

Also the custom rom that Modaco has posted makes the phone even a bit more fast.

I'm for one very content with the Hero, after having it for one month, it has not let me down a bit. And yes, with market place and custom rom's, it is a very nice thing to play with :)

Guest Igniztion

Yeah, I concur. I've never owned an iPhone or any Windows Mobile device. I'd say that the Hero was a bit sluggish compared to the iPhones I've tried when using the stock ROM. After updating it though, the perfomance is at least on par with iPhone if not even better.

Performance here relates to the "user experience" when using the UI and is in no way tested with proper benchmarks etc.

Guest GuyAdams

As a Windows Mobile user of 8 years its taken me a little time to get into my Hero but after a week with the device I'm a very happy customer.

I have upgraded to the official leaked version of the ROM and its very responsive, as others say very comparable to the iphone.

Have you owned a Android unit before?

One of the greatest advantages for me, is the app market. If you need to do something on your phone, anything! just fire up the app market and 9 times out of 10 there is an app available. Gone are the days of having to browse the web, find a reasonable download, copy the cab to my device, etc. I know you lucky iphone users out there have had this for sometime but as an old Windows Mobile user it feels great to have this feature.

Thanks

Guest Amdathlonuk
Thanks guys, that's reassured me

All I can say is that my Hero is blazingly fast!

It is rooted and has Modaco 1.5 on.

I have 200 apps installed and I have NEVER hit a loading screen or had it fall over yet, VERY VERY responsive even when playing music and browsing.....

My music has NEVER glitched either.

I had a G1 before this and I can honestly say they are like chalk and cheese..

You'll love it!

(input disclaimer about battery life :))

Guest rappetor

Coming from the Samsung Omnia (wm) with the latest wm6.5 roms the Hero is really much much better. Especially with the new ROM (thanks to Paul).

And man, do I love this screen compared to the resistive Omnia one.

One happy Hero user here!

Guest stripealipe

Yes, just to reiterate.

There Hero was initially a little sluggish at times, but never enough to really cause concern.

The initial reviews were somewhat harsh in this sense considering this is a new build on top of the Android OS and it was always going to probably need some refinement.

The custom ROM from Modaco has proved that the processor and RAM in this handset are more than capable of giving an amazingly rich user experience and a definite class leader for the moment. I believe this phone is in a league of it's own since this ROM came out. It's fast, well connected and designed and pretty much handles anything you care to throw at it.

Forget the previous initial reviews still residing on the NET. This is a new phone completely now that the new ROM is available.

Search these and the XDA forums to see what i mean. There is now a lot of very smug Hero owners loving their 'new' phone!! :)

I've had all 3 devices (Dream, Magic/Sapphire, and Hero) and up until last week, Hero was the most sluggish of the lot, and unacceptably so

Having rooted and flashed custom firmware to my Dream since December last year, I'll just say this:

Custom firmwares, from my experience, are usually released faster than 'official' ones

They are also usually better where performance is concerned (more often than not -- unstable/experimental releases are made known)

With the latest ROM update (from the wild), the performance of Hero is almost on par with my modified Dream and Magic, with a much nicer form factor, better battery life and a more friendly UI

Guest chucky.egg

OMG, how much do I love this device?

It has the responsive-ness of S60, the facilities of WM and a little touch of iPhone too.

And work want me to use a Blackberry! Ha ha ha. Not a chance.

OMG, how much do I love this device?

It has the responsive-ness of S60, the facilities of WM and a little touch of iPhone too.

And work want me to use a Blackberry! Ha ha ha. Not a chance.

What ROM are you using?

Mine is very slow. I frequently get no response from the touch screen for about 10 seconds by which time I have pressed it twice and activated something on the next menu!

The other day it wouldn't let me make a call, it would not respond to anything in the dialler apart from letting me press numbers.

And I get "Application TouchFLO has stopped responding" every single day.

I have 3/4 apps installed and a standard ROM.

Guest chucky.egg

I'd update your ROM if I were you.

Mine was a bit slow with the 1.7 ROM, but I only played with it for 10 minutes then updated.

With the MCR 2.2e ROM it's VERY fast.

I'd update your ROM if I were you.

Mine was a bit slow with the 1.7 ROM, but I only played with it for 10 minutes then updated.

With the MCR 2.2e ROM it's VERY fast.

Didn't fancy losing my messages, favourite contacts, Facebook links etc!

Suppose I will have to bite the bullet.

Does anybody have or seen a video of someone actually using the phone? Not just showing it off like all the videos I've seen. I want to see a video of someone making a call. Entering a contact. Scheduling an appointment. Calling a number or emailing a contact from the calendar...etc...etc...

I'm about 95% sure I will get this when it is released to Sprint in Oct. But, damn...I feel like i've already had the phone for a couple months from watching soo many videos of it! LOL!

Guest JamminJP

I've had my hero for a while now and thanks to Paul and MCR2.2 its much better, but its not as slick as the iPhone 3gs

Been playing with a 3gs tonight that had video running in the background of the menu and its just fluid and slick, there's me showing off the multitasking hero with the odd stutter and freeze for a while its just not as slick, maybe the cpu on the hero is just not up to it.....

I wont be going back to WM - love the app market and while I still say the design is a bit pant the tech side of things is great. It even paired to my SAAB - some thing that is a major problem with iphones.

Now I wont compare the two but I' happy with the user experience I have now seeing as I use it more as an Internet pad than a phone how ever I have seen the 'slugishness' side once or twice but that was no major biggy even then. Hopefully we will see the update come out soon for official roms - in the mean time thats what I'm running.

Paul - a great proggy for you here ( I know I keep coming up with ideas but may be one will be of some interest ) - A user migration tool for moving ROMs.

Contacts move but you can't migrate downloaded programmes, SMS, mail settings etc etc in one hit..... just a thought.

Terran