FPU Enabler

I want to confirm that this does, indeed, work on the Toshiba TG01. My benchmark from SKTools was almost 3x better with this running and my FP-intensive application (custom application) I have is at least 2x faster with this.

Checking to see what the status is of a driver install or even modifying the current program so that it automatically runs without having to press "Patch." In the later case, it could be automatically run in a script (or from another program) to give the benefits without having to run it and click, twice.

Great work, folks!

Supposedly will be released to the app store eventually and will run as a service, so no more patch/patch. Which would be beneficial since WM likes to auto-close it when running resource hungry apps (anyone have a fix for this btw? SKTools add to "do not kill" doesn't seem to work 100%). We'll see. Been in limbo for quite a while now.

Guest NuShrike

So development of this is now ENTIRELY being held up by Clove Technology.

They're currently violating the British Sale of Goods Act of 1979 because they've been holding on to my Acer M900 for the sum of 2 months for repairs, and refusing to give me an exchange or refund.

Let them know how YOU feel about them stopping the development of FPU Enabler (and anything else from me) at their email here: [email protected]

Edited by NuShrike

They're currently violating the British Sale of Goods Act of 1979 because they've been holding on to my Acer M900 for the sum of 2 months for repairs, and refusing to give me an exchange or refund.

Let them know how YOU feel about them stopping the development of FPU Enabler (and anything else from me) at their email here: [email protected]

How about you compose a small email message with the correct details in so we can all froward it to them with our own comment added? I am guessing that if I send them a message saying "Hurry up and send NuShrike's phone back you tw*t" then they probably won't have a clue what I'm talking about. :(

Edited by Uboy

Guest dwallersv

I say we buy nushrike an O2. Anyone else want to chip in? I'm in for $25...

Guest dwallersv
How about you compose a small email message with the correct details in so we can all froward it to them with our own comment added? I am guessing that if I send them a message saying "Hurry up and send NuShrike's phone back you tw*t" then they probably won't have a clue what I'm talking about. :(

No, but the idea of them getting dozens of such messages gave me a really good laugh... thanks for the mental image! :(

Guest NuShrike

Great idea! Tell them:

RM1001188267 told us that Clove Technology is holding up his Acer M900 exchange, or refund, is in violation of the British Sale of Goods Act 1979 for unreasonable amount of time and extreme inconvenience taken so far for the repairs. Under the Act, repair isn't the only option and Clove is only enabling Acer to continue damaging the mobile instead of repairing it.

Clove is also singularly blocking the release of the FPUenabler driver that [you] are waiting upon for many months. [add what else you like to use FPUenabler for or what you think about Clove's actions].

Violation of such aforementioned Act is a huge negative mark on Clove's sales reputation, and severely impacts any future purchases by [you].

So something to that effect? Thanks!

Guest NuShrike

Thanks for all the support! So Clove responded to my post deadline (of March 1st) by EMAIL, that they think they still think they've handled the situation in a "satisfactory manner". I know they've been highly courteous, but they've still held up the repair longer than reasonable and convenient. Their good is primarily unsatisfactory.

They've also reserved the right to "take action against the" third party "emails without any contact with" me. I don't like the threatening sound of that, nor how they refused to delineate in any text how they're on the correct side of the Sale of Goods Act.

So I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Rapid81
Thanks for all the support! So Clove responded to my post deadline (of March 1st) by EMAIL, that they think they still think they've handled the situation in a "satisfactory manner". I know they've been highly courteous, but they've still held up the repair longer than reasonable and convenient. Their good is primarily unsatisfactory.

They've also reserved the right to "take action against the" third party "emails without any contact with" me. I don't like the threatening sound of that, nor how they refused to delineate in any text how they're on the correct side of the Sale of Goods Act.

So I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

There's no consumer protection institute in your country? We have in Hungary and when we face the same situation like you now, we can contact this institute, and they can handle it. They can mulct the company if it's necessary.

BTW, if you can continue the development, can you replace the close button in the top right with minimize button? Pretty anoying to use anything when FPUEnabler is running, because I can't put it to background.

Edited by Rapid81

Guest Snow02
There's no consumer protection institute in your country? We have in Hungary and when we face the same situation like you now, we can contact this institute, and they can handle it. They can mulct the company if it's necessary.

BTW, if you can continue the development, can you replace the close button in the top right with minimize button? Pretty anoying to use anything when FPUEnabler is running, because I can't put it to background.

Yeah, I thought the EU was crazy about consumer protections.

Guest NuShrike
The button is Chainfire's code.. probably not worth tweaking currently.

As for protection, not much of it here in the USA. UK does, but I've found it little difficult to get help from UK resources, and the time-zone difference delays response a bit.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Uss_Defiant

Would you want us to keep sending e-mails? I dont see what they could do against us, and it seems like you're making headway...

On another note, I installed FPU enabler, GPIOgfx and S3Clock on my device, as well as Delvius' Reg tweaker. I've got the clock set at 900 in the reg tweaker, however when I check S3/GPIO, the MPLL is showing at 266. If i dont run FPU/S3 at boot, GPIO shows MPLL at default of 388. Am I doing something wrong? If I then manually set the MPLL at 388 in GPIO, the device freezes after a bit.

Also, is there a way to run both FPU and S3 at bootup?

Guest dwallersv
Would you want us to keep sending e-mails? I dont see what they could do against us, and it seems like you're making headway...

On another note, I installed FPU enabler, GPIOgfx and S3Clock on my device, as well as Delvius' Reg tweaker. I've got the clock set at 900 in the reg tweaker, however when I check S3/GPIO, the MPLL is showing at 266. If i dont run FPU/S3 at boot, GPIO shows MPLL at default of 388. Am I doing something wrong? If I then manually set the MPLL at 388 in GPIO, the device freezes after a bit.

Also, is there a way to run both FPU and S3 at bootup?

Attached is a Mortscript I created to automate the startup of FPU Enabler and S3Clock to overclock. Note that it is specific to the locales where I've installed these programs, and depends on shortcuts pointing to them. You will have to edit the shortcuts yourself if you put things in a different place. Script and shortcuts are all in the attached zip.

Running the "Overclock" script will start FPU Enabler to put the device in ALLKMODE, kill it, run it again to patch the FPU and hide it, then run and hide S3clock. When it's done, your O2 is pumped on steroids.

A note of caution, however: The O2 doesn't like this stuff to be done while various things are starting up during boot. Something needs to finish initializing before these programs run, and I haven't bothered to figure it out, because it's really easy now just to pumpthe thing up manually with a button on my homescreen. However, if you want to totally automate this and put a link to the script in \Windows\Startup, just add a 2-3 minute sleep at the front of the script to delay it, so that the device can be sufficiently booted before this stuff does it's thing.

Overclock.zip

Guest Uss_Defiant
Attached is a Mortscript I created to automate the startup of FPU Enabler and S3Clock to overclock. Note that it is specific to the locales where I've installed these programs, and depends on shortcuts pointing to them. You will have to edit the shortcuts yourself if you put things in a different place. Script and shortcuts are all in the attached zip.

Running the "Overclock" script will start FPU Enabler to put the device in ALLKMODE, kill it, run it again to patch the FPU and hide it, then run and hide S3clock. When it's done, your O2 is pumped on steroids.

A note of caution, however: The O2 doesn't like this stuff to be done while various things are starting up during boot. Something needs to finish initializing before these programs run, and I haven't bothered to figure it out, because it's really easy now just to pumpthe thing up manually with a button on my homescreen. However, if you want to totally automate this and put a link to the script in \Windows\Startup, just add a 2-3 minute sleep at the front of the script to delay it, so that the device can be sufficiently booted before this stuff does it's thing.

ah, thanks a bunch, this will come in very handy.. one side question though, did you install/run GPIOgfx at any time?

Guest NuShrike
Actually, it would be better to spread the word that Clove disrespects its customers by holding merchandise hostage for "repairs" for months (a large percentage of the lifetime of a mobile), and they seem too cheap to do exchanges.

It would help me even more if there's somebody in UK that can help me with forwarding the correspondence (with a UK post code, etc) to ease filing small claims against Clove.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Snow02
Actually, it would be better to spread the word that Clove disrespects its customers by holding merchandise hostage for "repairs" for months (a large percentage of the lifetime of a mobile), and they seem too cheap to do exchanges.

It would help me even more if there's somebody in UK that can help me with forwarding the correspondence (with a UK post code, etc) to ease filing small claims against Clove.

Really, if it's under warranty, and they can't fix it, they need to replace it. Period. I'd be about livid by now. Being that a warranty is a contract, that I would assume to have a start date of the day they received the phone, have you cited the Consumer Protections (Distance Selling) Regulation, specifically the passage below. Link

Performance

19. - (1) Unless the parties agree otherwise, the supplier shall perform the contract within a maximum of 30 days beginning with the day after the day the consumer sent his order to the supplier.

(2) Subject to paragraphs (7) and (8), where the supplier is unable to perform the contract because the goods or services ordered are not available, within the period for performance referred to in paragraph (1) or such other period as the parties agree ("the period for performance"), he shall -

(a) inform the consumer; and

(b.) reimburse any sum paid by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract to the person by whom it was made.

I'm not a lawyer, and your case may fall outside of this specific language, but if you have emails and shipping documentation, in leiu of a stated agreement authorized by you that this would take longer than thirty days, they appear to be in violation. If this particular passage does not apply to you, I'm sure another one might. This statute applies specifically to international sales. Might be worth a read. I provided a link above.

Edited by Snow02

Guest NuShrike
Really, if it's under warranty, and they can't fix it, they need to replace it. Period. I'd be about livid by now. Being that a warranty is a contract, that I would assume to have a start date of the day they received the phone, have you cited the Consumer Protections (Distance Selling) Regulation, specifically the passage below. Link

I'm not a lawyer, and your case may fall outside of this specific language, but if you have emails and shipping documentation, in leiu of a stated agreement authorized by you that this would take longer than thirty days, they appear to be in violation. If this particular passage does not apply to you, I'm sure another one might. This statute applies specifically to international sales. Might be worth a read. I provided a link above.

Thanks, that's just more kindle on the fire. I've already sent post making them well aware they're in breach of Sale of Goods Act already. My problem is I can't get enforcement on any of this without Small Claims Court, where I need help with the UK side ... else, I'll have to personally fly over there and deal with the paperwork directly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NuShrike

So at this point due to Clove Technology, I'm abandoning my Acer M900 (which they're still physically holding on to) which has been my only development platform. This means LevelSight M900 is also being abandoned, but not FPU Enabler.

I'm waiting for the T-Mobile HD2 to be released (in 2 days), and then maybe I can resume some work. As evil as HTC and Qualcomm has been, Clove, Acer, and Samsung are just 2nd-strings ...

Clove, slightly cheaper, but not worth the trouble.

Guest Snow02
So at this point due to Clove Technology, I'm abandoning my Acer M900 (which they're still physically holding on to) which has been my only development platform. This means LevelSight M900 is also being abandoned, but not FPU Enabler.

I'm waiting for the T-Mobile HD2 to be released (in 2 days), and then maybe I can resume some work. As evil as HTC and Qualcomm has been, Clove, Acer, and Samsung are just 2nd-strings ...

Clove, slightly cheaper, but not worth the trouble.

Sorry to hear that. HD2 is leaps and bounds better than the m900 anyways. Looking forward to further development.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dwallersv
So what exactly is FPU? What does it do to the device? I read the first post but i still don't get what it does exactly.

Stands for "Floating Point Unit", and is the analog for floating point calculations that a graphics accelerator is for graphics calculations.

Basically, without an FPU, all floating point calculations are performed through software algorithms, using binary integer arithmetic. So, for example, multiplying 25.672331894 by 655.3845293476 decimal will require thousands and thousands of basic CPU add, subtract, shift, etc. instructions to yield a result. Consuming thousands and thousands of clock cycles.

With an FPU the two numbers are loaded into special Floating Point hardware registers, a special FP instruction is executed, and the FPU hardware unit performs the operation in a few clock cycles (maybe a dozen). This makes FP calcs much much faster.

Here's the sad reality, though: Because mobile devices like PDAs and Smartphones have not had FPU hardware available until very recently, app developers have invested a lot of engineering into creating custom calculation routines using various tricks and so forth (primarily making approximations where viable, substantially reducing the number of steps necessary to get to a result) within the binary integer instruction set, so enabling hardware FPU support does make much of a difference for most apps (games would be an ideal target, for example). Now that this hardware is there, when manufacturers start putting full support for it in their operating systems and SDKs, we may start to see some use of it.

As it stands now, these FPUs are not even seen on most platforms -- the FP libraries don't even call them at all. They consist of those software emulation routines I spoke of.

What Chainfire has done here is patch the operating system, the libraries that can be called for FP calculations, to make use of the FPU. This will benefit any application that calls the FP libraries. Unfortunately, not many apps do right now.