Windows Mobile Devices and OS deflated?? Move to new OS?

Guest Sonicr360

Guest Sonicr360

Hi All

I had posted this under a different post, but thought I would chuck out a thread just in case it was me....

To start with, I have been using Windows Mobile devices since Windows CE came out!! I have owned a variety of Smartphone (Orange SPV, II, HTC Wizard) and WM Pro platform, namely Tytn II.

The trouble is, I just cannot help but feel there is some flaws here - Either down to Microsoft or the OEM's of these phones.

I have to confess now, that I am pretty much sick to death of Windows Mobile phones. Mine was upgraded to 6.1, but for some reason I have just lost interest.

Whether this has something to do with Steve Ballmer mocking other phones (iPhone, Android, google, ect) or the fact that other brands HAVE been released and seem to offer SO much more than just a standard WM device.

In 2007 the iPhone was announced and released. We are on the 3GS Version now. A colleague has one, and I have to admit I really, really enjoyed it. The only thing that has kept me with the Tytn II is the RDP feature and Tom Tom!

However, I now understand TomTom can be obtained for the iPhone. So when a RDP Client comes out (I guess it may or may not happen), then I think its safe to say I will be leaving this community of fellow Windows Mobile fans. One other thing that keeps me here is Active Sync! Well it appears other vendors offer this, and I now see its in the iPhone (as it was pointed out to me today)

The iPhone Software library seems to be huge - Over 70,000 applications available!!!! Jeeze!! And what does WM have in comparison? It seems that developers really are keen to get the potential out of the iPhone itself.

I just get so frustrated with the device, to the fact I even get annoyed making a call. Touchscreen seems slow and sluggish. and the amount of times I either reboot the device or wipe it clean and start again make me realise that maybe Apple and Google have actually got something right here!?!?

I do not know how many people here have seen an iPhone, but be assured I am only going to wait to get one when:

A) Obtain via Vodafone (and that could be next year)

Ticks all the right boxes

C) keyboard (Although I got to admit, I am really, really getting use to the iPhone keyboard on screen device - Again, its fluid indeed!)

Today, I have had the same colleague show me a laserdisc arcade game called "Space Ace" - this was based on Laserdisc technology and I even have the original disc and DVD copies from Digital Leisure.

So imagine how I felt, when I saw this iPhone showing me exactly what I would see in the arcades!! it is flawless!

Apparantly, Mad Dog McCree is also coming to the iPhone as well !!!

now this is starting to be interesting..... I am sure we will see these titles on the WM Platform right?

Errrrrr..... Probably not

Shame really ..... maybe it is me!! Maybe the WM community is happy to continue to wait and wait and wait for something to appear! On the other hand, how many have made a move from WM to iPhone.

I would be interested to hear others view. Remember this is not slating the actual vendors here, but when it comes to things like ease of use, usability, applications, 3rd party apps, performance, scalability, ect

Regards

Simon

Edited by Sonicr360

I understand where your coming from. The iphone works perfectly every time but I supposed its the fact that windows isn't perfect and your always on the chase for a new ROM,program or tweak that will make it closer to perfection and that's what makes WinMo exciting for me.

My wife has an iphone and while the apps are fun in the beginning after you get bored of it after a while. With WinMo you can keep changing your phones look and feel whenever you want and customize everything.

Truth is I still prefer my omnia i900 over her iphone but everyone has their own opinion.

Good luck.

Guest Sonicr360

Hi SB

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can sort of agree that after you have had a certain make / model / os it can become boring. I have had a fair few devices, but it is not just about the way you can customize and change things (I read that an iPhone can be unlocked to do the same sort of thing), but its what else is on offer for the OS of a phone.

Android is starting to make some serious headway, and although the iPhone makes a huge leap in terms of the number of apps available, its light years in front compared to WM.

I just feel Microsoft have lost the plot someway.

I am not saying the iPhone is the "must have" device, but having had a real good look around it, I guess there is alot of reasons to move to it. For example:

Active Sync with Exchange

Tom Tom

Remote Desktop Software now available

Good browsing software

fast and smooth OS.

And with an unlocked phone, you seem to be able to do pretty much whatever you want. In fact I was gobsmacked at just how many emulators seem to run so well on the iPhone unlocked model.

If Microsoft do not want to lose customers (and chances are they already have), then they should have thought about WM7 Phones LAST year.... ! It is meant to arrive in 2010!!

By that time, Apple will probably have something alot better .... Android phones would be much improved.....!

Still, as you said, everyone has their own opinion. But I was more than curious to know if it was "me" or have others decided to move over to an alternative device (either to a standard phone, or something like iPhone or Android)

Simon

Guest Br1an_g

i am like you, had WM devices in the past, and had an iphone recently.

iphone is an awesome device, and the support it has from itunes is superb.

however, the shortfalls of the iphone in my mind are:

it needs to be jailbroken to make it awesome.

without a jailbreak you are limited in a number of ways by apple/operators.

the way apple release hardware versions is really questionable.

I lost my jailbreak/unlock upgrading to the new firware so i sold it. it just wasnt doing everything i needed it to.

you rely on the hackers providing a jailbreak, and need to be cautious with your itunes upgrades.

so now, HTC touch pro. great device but still getting used to the WM software again. will windows marketplace live up to the hype and provide much needed application support at the touch of a button for a resonable cost?

HTC hero coming out on my network soon. will maybe give that a go.

if the iphone allowed apps outside itunes i would go back to it in a minute, but, the hassle of jailbreaking is too much.

my 2 cents.