Marketplace "copy protection" cracked in less than 12 hours?

Guest l3v5y

The well known Chainfire has managed to do it again, by proving that the MS copy protection in Marketplace is severely lacking.

Currently, the "security" stems from deleting the CAB file after it's installed, though Chainfire has managed to circumvent this (I had a go to, using a similar method, and it's ridiculously easy).

I will refrain from quoting the obvious mistakes in this document, if you give this thing a read, you will notice them soon enough. What it all comes down to is that there is no copy protection, not even at the advanced level, at least if they implement it in the way I interpret from reading that document.

Now, hopefully, MS will do something about this and let developers spend less time building copy protection and more time developing!

Here's the full post.

So, anyone else concerned?

And no, I won't be telling you how to do this.

Guest Joel Ivory Johnson

I wouldn't even call it cracked since the protection isn't there. On first attempt I successfully transferred an application between two of my devices. The actual protection with the device ID and a license won't be available until later this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.