More HD2 News

Guest philly-d

Guest philly-d
newshd2.png
It seems like the already massive buzz surrounding the HTC HD2 is growing even further as we are now starting to see some full reviews and expected release dates.

The first review is in Russian, the second in Italian, so both are Google translated, but the photos alone are well worth a look.

Mobile-Review (Russian)
Mobile-Review (Now fully translated to English)

Solopalmari Review (Italian)
Solopalmari Review Part 1 (Translated)
Solopalmari Part 2 (Translated)

Also eXpansys have an expected release date of 11th November 2009 with an exclusive offer available to UK customers...

Order your HTC HD2 between the 6th October and 31st October 2009 and we will send you £30 of eXpansys vouchers to spend on accessories at eXpansys.com!

I can't wait to get my hands on one :)

It should be noted that all the reviews so far are based on the non-final software - HTC have stated that the software is yet to reach even Release Candidate status, so bear this in mind when reading the reviews!

[Via Various]

Guest timeline

With my experience of expansys, that translate to if you order now, your etd will keep dropping from 28days to about 10, then jump back to 35, drop to 10, jump back to 28, etc and you will get it finally in Apr '10.

Guest rupert_hollom

Looking at this one as well, but will it be upgradable to WM7 - some places I read it will, others claim that the specs do not match the WM7 requirements. Does anyone know for sure, if it isn't upgradable it certainly looses quite a bit of interest for me.

Cheers,

Rupert.

Guest philly-d
Looking at this one as well, but will it be upgradable to WM7 - some places I read it will, others claim that the specs do not match the WM7 requirements. Does anyone know for sure, if it isn't upgradable it certainly looses quite a bit of interest for me.

Cheers,

Rupert.

It's not clear at the moment, but will try and keep you posted!

Guest Syphon Filter

Cheers,

Rupert.

I'm hoping the HTC customisations will go deep enough for it to not matter. People look at the Windows Mobile/Phone OS in the wrong way and have been for years in my opinion. WM is just the platform, it's up to the OEMs to actually do something original/functional with it. The OS provides all the base functionality and hardware APIs.

HTC has finally (well over the past couple of years) figured this out and it's slowly filtering through to the other OEMs. Manila and HTC Sense are pure genius and they (HTC) have realised that operating system is merely a platform (be it WM or Android) for them to run their crazy good UIs on. This is hte future, WM7 won't matter one iota if HTC continue to innovate, even more so if they create some proper apps (like a decent media player etc) of their own that integrate with the rest of their UI etc.

As for the HD2, I am really tempted to lay down the dosh for this one...it's a sweet lookign device and the size of htat screen should make browsing, running CoPilot Live 8 and CamerAware a bloody dream.

Guest SilentBob
I'm hoping the HTC customisations will go deep enough for it to not matter. People look at the Windows Mobile/Phone OS in the wrong way and have been for years in my opinion. WM is just the platform, it's up to the OEMs to actually do something original/functional with it. The OS provides all the base functionality and hardware APIs.

HTC has finally (well over the past couple of years) figured this out and it's slowly filtering through to the other OEMs. Manila and HTC Sense are pure genius and they (HTC) have realised that operating system is merely a platform (be it WM or Android) for them to run their crazy good UIs on. This is hte future, WM7 won't matter one iota if HTC continue to innovate, even more so if they create some proper apps (like a decent media player etc) of their own that integrate with the rest of their UI etc.

As for the HD2, I am really tempted to lay down the dosh for this one...it's a sweet lookign device and the size of htat screen should make browsing, running CoPilot Live 8 and CamerAware a bloody dream.

Wow! Someone speaking real sense about WinMo. You have managed to put my thoughts/opinions into words. :)

All the current putting down of the most recent minor release of WinMo has been somewhat unjustified in my mind (unless of course your talking about timing - how long they are taking with their updates and WM7).

The changes to the base OS should be the provision of the building blocks required to make really good looking & finger friendly software/applications. A lot has been done already with applications and UIs to make this so. But I think there would be way more really good applications if some of these were just a part of the OS in the first place. E.g. really nice kinetic scrolling or improved standard dialog boxes/buttons.

For me though, I am still quite happy sticking with WinMo, and look forward to what WM7 will bring to the table. Having played with a friends iPhone, I still wouldn't go there. I do sometimes consider Android. But only due to the Hero. And that is due to them repeating what they do on WinMo. So why move?

Guest rupert_hollom
Wow! Someone speaking real sense about WinMo. You have managed to put my thoughts/opinions into words. :)

All the current putting down of the most recent minor release of WinMo has been somewhat unjustified in my mind (unless of course your talking about timing - how long they are taking with their updates and WM7).

The changes to the base OS should be the provision of the building blocks required to make really good looking & finger friendly software/applications. A lot has been done already with applications and UIs to make this so. But I think there would be way more really good applications if some of these were just a part of the OS in the first place. E.g. really nice kinetic scrolling or improved standard dialog boxes/buttons.

For me though, I am still quite happy sticking with WinMo, and look forward to what WM7 will bring to the table. Having played with a friends iPhone, I still wouldn't go there. I do sometimes consider Android. But only due to the Hero. And that is due to them repeating what they do on WinMo. So why move?

All good points, and I agree with you but if I where to spend £500 ish on the phone I would like to have the ability to upgrade to the latest/greatest OS available officially - I know that there will be versions floating around that have been unofficially ported across, but it is always nice to be able to go back to the manufacturer if something goes wrong!

I think I had better start saving as I do rather fancy upgrading from my Diamond to this one...

Cheers,

Rupert.

Guest timeline

So a bit early, but any guarantees from HTC they'll give WM7 updates to this? It has the hardware, but my guess is there will be 5 new phones from HTC by the time WM7 comes out. And probably an HD3 by then.

just got off the phone to T-Mobile UK business customer services...

I asked about the HD2 - usually they try and sell me a Touch2 instead, although one guy previously confirmed T-Mobile were going to have it "at some point"

Today was different - It is now on their systems and the guy said it had a "target date" of 6 November.... That's only 3 weeks to wait...

He did of course then say that it wasn't a hard release date etc, could shift etc, he didn't have any pricing etc, so all could change. Plus a friday is a bit of a strange day to launch a phone. but I confirmed it with another customer services guy later, so fingers crossed I am several steps nearer to getting one...

Guest tsutton

Wilbur, the date of 6th Nov is also confirmed for me when I called T-Mobile UK yesterday. Hoping they will stay with that date!

I just need to play with it before deciding which one to go for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.