21/Jan 1.5 - Superboot - rooting without a Custom ROM - NOT FOR ANDROID 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

This is not necessary if you plan to use a custom ROM, it's only necessary if you want to root your stock ROM!

For my Pulse rooting solution I thought i'd do something a bit different - introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file from below and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Download

Check if you have the 'December Update' - turn the device off, then turn if on with 'volume down' and 'end call' held. If the build date is Nov 26 2009 or newer, you have the December update applied.

Version for devices WITH the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...mb0k87f9c51eqg9

Version for devices WITHOUT the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...65pv39jj2oz6b6e

That's it, job done! Enjoy! :(

P

Guest tehseen84
For my Pulse rooting solution I thought i'd do something a bit different - introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

How to use Superboot - Mac, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

That's it, job done! Enjoy! :(

P

Hi,

Thanks for that, When i try to run 'install-superboot-windows.bat' it says "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Any ideas why?

Thanks,

TJ

Guest tehseen84
How strange, I didn't know fastboot for Windows needed that!

I'll upload a fixed version, but for now grab adb.exe adb the dll file from this zip!

P

Thanks for that Paul.

On the phone it says "Writing 'recovery' (3440640 bytes) - Okay" but when i restart the phone it still dont have root access. Is it me doing something wrong?

Thanks,

TJ

Guest tehseen84
Thanks for that Paul.

On the phone it says "Writing 'recovery' (3440640 bytes) - Okay" but when i restart the phone it still dont have root access. Is it me doing something wrong?

Thanks,

TJ

Got the root access, was using the wrong image :) sorry :(

Hi,

Well I just got my pulse and I'm looking forward to playing with it a for bit so thanks for the root.

Does anyone knows if there is someone working on a custom rom? (I know its quick, but it can't hurt to ask :)

Ps. I noticed that the links to the *important* forum topics are broken in the pulse's browser.

Ok, just successfully rooted my pulse

Two questions:

Is there another way to reboot after fastboot than removing the battery?

Is it currently usefull to flash the recovery with Amon Ra's recovery image since there doesn't seem to be a custom rom yet?

Thanks

Guest JingleManSweep

Help...

I really want to "root" my T-Mobile Pulse, but am quite worried about bricking my device. I have the "Pay As You Go" version of the "T-Mobile Pulse" and am worried that this version may be different to the "Contract" version.

I know the guide seems really simple and easy, but I just don't want to brick my 3 day old phone.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Louis

I will get my Pulse on Wednesday.

I just want to ask whether I will lose my warranty if I root my device.

Oh and is there another Custom ROM yet?

I really want to apply some themes and other cool stuff :D

Guest colonel_butt
Help...

I really want to "root" my T-Mobile Pulse, but am quite worried about bricking my device. I have the "Pay As You Go" version of the "T-Mobile Pulse" and am worried that this version may be different to the "Contract" version.

I know the guide seems really simple and easy, but I just don't want to brick my 3 day old phone.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Louis

no its the same

I have just rooted my PAYG pulse

rgds

Hi, after I have done this procedure, how do I actually *get* root (i.e. in the terminal)? Can you describe more how this works and what it does exactly? Does it replace the entire filesystem? Does it add an su binary or something?

I'm pretty new to the low levels of android.

Also I second the question about exiting quickbook - the only way I could find was taking out the battery, which feels wrong.

Guest colonel_butt
Hi, after I have done this procedure, how do I actually *get* root (i.e. in the terminal)? Can you describe more how this works and what it does exactly? Does it replace the entire filesystem? Does it add an su binary or something?

I'm pretty new to the low levels of android.

Also I second the question about exiting quickbook - the only way I could find was taking out the battery, which feels wrong.

after rooting you can use SU (no password). before "access is denied"

If you are used to unix/linux, you can install the terminal program "ConnectBot" from marketplace. You can muck around with linux directly. su will not work until you root.

note that you can screw up your phone after root. So be careful out there!

Guest Jedipottsy
after rooting you can use SU (no password). before "access is denied"

If you are used to unix/linux, you can install the terminal program "ConnectBot" from marketplace. You can muck around with linux directly. su will not work until you root.

note that you can screw up your phone after root. So be careful out there!

root allows for things like tethering, root just means you have full access to the kernel.

Ah cool. Worked like a charm on my PAYG Pulse. Note that on linux you have to run the script as root, otherwise it just says "<waiting for device>" forever.

:-)

For those wondering, why you run 'su' on the device it pops up a GUI window asking if you want to allow the app to have root. No idea how this dark magic works but I like it!