Simple newbie guide

Guest Shahz

Well guys, I came here the first time and learnt a lot of stuff related to flashing ROMs. But being deeply in love, and having no development capabilities, this may be the best way I could contribute to the Android community. My guide has not much difference from others that you may find on this forum, but I will try to adhere to total noobness which I experienced when I first came here too. :)

First of all, if you are wondering why are you even here and what can you do on this forum, we assume you that you have a Google Android based phone and were googling and somehow landed here. You may not know what you can do with your HTC Hero and want to know more about its abilities. Well, hold your breath, because you will finally realize that this phone can really kick iphone hard in the butt :(

Your HTC came preinstalled with an unrooted firmware on its ROM. This said, there is still a lot that can be done on your HTC, but is limited because of this. Hence, unlock all the possibilities and enhance your HTC Hero like never before.

WARNING! I recommend you to save all your data including contacts, messages, images and videos because this process may delete everything on your HTC Hero.

Forget the firmware that came with your HTC Hero, and use the one that you can get here. You will love it more. Trust me ;) There are many methods and workarounds, this is my favorite one, so its up to you whether you want to follow it or not.

We are going to go through a series of THREE main processes:

1. Root the HTC Hero and include a recovery console.

2. Upgrade the ROM to a rooted one.

3. Upgrade the radio firmware.

While at your screen's home screen, press the "Menu" button and select settings. Scroll all the way down to "About Phone" and make sure your Firmware version is 1.5 and not any others. This is because at the moment, current HTC Hero phones are being sold with this firmware.

Also, there is a chance you may NOT have a Google Market application on your HTC Hero. You may keep getting "page not found" on your Hero browser. If this is the case, don't worry, for now, you will just need the "file manager" application. You can download this from the following locations:

1. http://slideme.org/applications (currently upgrading their site)

2. http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/ (works like a charm)

3. http://www.openmarket.co.za/

The file manager is only what you need. Once you have that, follow the next step:

Download these applications:

1. FlashRec.apk

2. Amon Ra's latest Hero Recovery image <-- save as "recovery.img"

Using your file manager, install the "Flash Rec.apk" and launch the application. Make a backup, then insert the url "/sdcard/recovery.img" and install it. This process will be very fast. In fact, in some instances, you may just note a slight flashing only. It will say its done though when its complete. At this point, you have the recovery console installed on your Hero. Congrats!

Now, press the power button for a few seconds, and select "Turn Off" to switch off your phone. When its completely off, press BOTH "home" and power button together. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTONS UNTIL A GREEN SCREEN APPEARS. There will be a HTC splash screen before it does, keep pressing at this point. When you are in the recovery console, hola! You're all set to flash your ROM! ;)

Now, download the LATEST HTC Generic ROOTED ROM and the LATEST radio file from here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

Save the ROM file as "update.zip" and the radio file as "radio.zip"

Plug your USB cable to the phone (still in recovery) and select "USB Mass storage on". Move the update.zip and the radio.zip to the root of your SD card again. Once you have done it, switch off the USB Mass Storage to OFF from the recovery console.

Now, follow these sequence:

1. Nandroid v2.2 backup (follow the screen procedure)

2. Apply sdcard: update.zip (follow the screen procedure)

3. Apply sdcard: choose zip (select "radio.zip" and follow the procedure)

4. Part SD: fat32 + ext2 + swap

5. Convert ext2 to ext3

6. Reboot system now

Thats all. Now, let your HTC Hero load. It will take longer than usual because its a totally new ROM. Next restarts will be faster though :(

Feel the experience! :P

Good Luck guys.. Remember, you ROCK because you are an Androider! If this guide helped you, do help another newbie someday ;)

Cheers~

ShahZ

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Phoehtaung

Hey! I still don't understand what is Radio update... i am now with MCR 3.1

how do i know whether my MCR 3.1 has radio or no radio?

and what the heck is radio?

and what is the meaning of partitioning SD card?

Thanks in advance~!

Ph

Guest Croptop

This looks like a great tutorial. Many thanks to Shahz for writing it. I note by the subject line that this was written "for Asian HTC owners". Does this mean that I would end up bricking my phone if I follow the steps and use the files linked to in post 1? I've got a stock HTC Hero as sold by Telus in Canada. For what it's worth, the About Phone info is as follows:

Firmware: 1.5

Baseband: 63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20

Kernal: 2.6.27-0078c992

Build: 2.73.661.46 CL#74632 release-keys

Software: 1.0.0.A6288

I've looked at the Stock ROMS & Radios thread and the MoDaCo Custom ROM thread but I'm still a little confused as to where to start and what files to use. I'm really hoping that this thread will put me on the right path.

Guest geraldv

hi i tried his and it never work for me and now i cant take any backup also, it say that backup fail, if you have any idea let me know

thanks

Gerald

Well guys, I came here the first time and learnt a lot of stuff related to flashing ROMs. But being deeply in love, and having no development capabilities, this may be the best way I could contribute to the Android community. My guide has not much difference from others that you may find on this forum, but I will try to adhere to total noobness which I experienced when I first came here too. :(

First of all, if you are wondering why are you even here and what can you do on this forum, we assume you that you have a Google Android based phone and were googling and somehow landed here. You may not know what you can do with your HTC Hero and want to know more about its abilities. Well, hold your breath, because you will finally realize that this phone can really kick iphone hard in the butt :(

Your HTC came preinstalled with an unrooted firmware on its ROM. This said, there is still a lot that can be done on your HTC, but is limited because of this. Hence, unlock all the possibilities and enhance your HTC Hero like never before.

WARNING! I recommend you to save all your data including contacts, messages, images and videos because this process may delete everything on your HTC Hero.

Forget the firmware that came with your HTC Hero, and use the one that you can get here. You will love it more. Trust me :( There are many methods and workarounds, this is my favorite one, so its up to you whether you want to follow it or not.

While at your screen's home screen, press the "Menu" button and select settings. Scroll all the way down to "About Phone" and make sure your Firmware version is 1.5 and not any others. This is because at the moment, current HTC Hero phones are being sold with this firmware.

Also, there is a chance you may NOT have a Google Market application on your HTC Hero. You may keep getting "page not found" on your Hero browser. If this is the case, don't worry, for now, you will just need the "file manager" application. You can download this from the following locations:

The file manager is only what you need. Once you have that, follow the next step:

1. FlashRec.apk

Using your file manager, install the "Flash Rec.apk" and launch the application. Make a backup, then insert the url "/sdcard/recovery.img" and install it. This process will be very fast. In fact, in some instances, you may just note a slight flashing only. It will say its done though when its complete. At this point, you have the recovery console installed on your Hero. Congrats!

Now, press the power button for a few seconds, and select "Turn Off" to switch off your phone. When its completely off, press BOTH "home" and power button together. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTONS UNTIL A GREEN SCREEN APPEARS. There will be a HTC splash screen before it does, keep pressing at this point. When you are in the recovery console, hola! You're all set to flash your ROM! :(

Now, download the LATEST HTC Generic ROOTED ROM and the LATEST radio file from here:

Plug your USB cable to the phone (still in recovery) and select "USB Mass storage on". Move the update.zip and the radio.zip to the root of your SD card again. Once you have done it, switch off the USB Mass Storage to OFF from the recovery console.

5. Convert ext2 to ext3

6. Reboot system now

Thats all. Now, let your HTC Hero load. It will take longer than usual because its a totally new ROM. Next restarts will be faster though :(

Feel the experience! :(

Good Luck guys.. Remember, you ROCK because you are an Androider! If this guide helped you, do help another newbie someday :(

Cheers~

ShahZ

Guest geraldv

hi i tried this and it never work for me and now i cant take any backup also, it say that backup fail, if you have any idea let me know

thanks

Gerald

Well guys, I came here the first time and learnt a lot of stuff related to flashing ROMs. But being deeply in love, and having no development capabilities, this may be the best way I could contribute to the Android community. My guide has not much difference from others that you may find on this forum, but I will try to adhere to total noobness which I experienced when I first came here too. :(

Forget the firmware that came with your HTC Hero, and use the one that you can get here. You will love it more. Trust me :( There are many methods and workarounds, this is my favorite one, so its up to you whether you want to follow it or not.

1. FlashRec.apk

Now, press the power button for a few seconds, and select "Turn Off" to switch off your phone. When its completely off, press BOTH "home" and power button together. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTONS UNTIL A GREEN SCREEN APPEARS. There will be a HTC splash screen before it does, keep pressing at this point. When you are in the recovery console, hola! You're all set to flash your ROM! :(

5. Convert ext2 to ext3

6. Reboot system now

Feel the experience! :(

Good Luck guys.. Remember, you ROCK because you are an Androider! If this guide helped you, do help another newbie someday :(

Cheers~

ShahZ