21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist

NEWS - NEW EASY AND COMPLETELY AUTOMATIC METHOD

In every case, it's recommended to get rid of SWAPPER before going any further with the installation of this kernel as it's know to cause trouble and is of no need IMHO

I have only tested the MCR package of this kernel with Paul's Modaco Rom aka MCR and particularly v 2.8 & newer nevertheless some users have reported it works very well with 2.7 too

But if you are here, I guess that's what you already have on your Hero ;-)

I f you don't have Modaco Custom ROM and use Generic ROM there is an package for Generic ROMs also available on the website.

New setup changed to make it fully automatic, including init script for compache

Apply the .zip file update with any recovery method you use to apply Paul's ROM or your Generic ROM.

AMON RA-Hero highly recommended as well a nandroid backup before updating !

Reboot and you are set. That's it, even if you have a swap partition, it won't be used, so no worries if you want to leave it there.

If you don't have it than no worries neither as you don't need it anymore ! ;-)

NEW VERSION 1.91-hero-teknologist

Kernel version:

2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.91 root@neutrino )

Get changelog,instructions and downloads at the official website here.

As always I am not responsible if your phone turns into a gremlin or something else ;-)

and feedback positive or negative is welcomed !

Enjoy!

If you want live updates, follow me on twitter: @teknologism

From now on I will update the site rather than this topic. Topic will be kept as the official support forum.

Download the file from the website (fast mirror) and "How to Install" page available.

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist

This a list (updated with feedback from users) of "rogue" apps.

Apps that are known to behave badly: consume abnormal CPU and/or drain battery abnormally fast.

1) Taskiller (this is by far the worst offender I have come across) -> Process manager seems to be a good alternative. eats no cpu, has a nice widget.

2) HTC Clock with seconds animation

3) Android Notes (not as bad as taskiller but does weird things from time to time)

4) FeedR seems to use a lot of CPU too

More to come as users report...

Edited by teknologist

Hello,

I have tried your update and it made the phone even faster then it was with Paul's ROM. Great work to you and Paul for makeing my phone better :D

I don't know how many who reads this forums is as bad as me to understand how to do all these updates, I need everthing fed into my head with a big big spoon.. :P

The part which took me some time to figure out was this one:

"Once you are done editing userinit.sh, copy it to /system/sd using your favorite tool...(that's the only part where you need to be familiar enough with android tweaking)"

I do not know if there are many ways to do so, I first shaked my fist in anger cause I could not move/copy this file with Astro filemanager when browsing the phone.

I eventually found out I had to use the "ADB Shell" commands.

Can you write in your guide tips how to do this, I guess I'm not the only one who really enjoy the work you are doing, but haveing a hard time understanding what to do all the time.

BR

Sture

Guest MetotRon

Hi, sorry for stupid question is it possible to use on devices that has only one partition on SD card is FAT 32. I don't move any cache to my SD card. If it possible, may be your could upload prepared files 1-for phones move cache to SD and 2-for phones doesn't make it.

BR,

Evgeny

Guest teknologist
Hi, sorry for stupid question is it possible to use on devices that has only one partition on SD card is FAT 32. I don't move any cache to my SD card. If it possible, may be your could upload prepared files 1-for phones move cache to SD and 2-for phones doesn't make it.

BR,

Evgeny

[ANSWER REMOVED ON 30/10] -> obsolete, could get new readers confused.

Edited by teknologist

OrigDataSize: 28324 kB

ComprDataSize: 6692 kB

MemUsedTotal: 9404 kB

BDevNumReads: 9278

BDevNumWrites: 6906

In my case I have never reached that point because I have never filled the compressed pool...no matter what I do, I haven't managed to fill it up..

PS: note the insane compression ratio I have here! x4.23 ! Means I get 4.23Mb of kernel usable memory for the price of 1Mb in the hardware memory chips...

To do some nitpicking:

MemUsedTotal is the amount of ram compcache uses. 6692 KB of that are compressed pages, so the actual ratio is 3.05, which is quite good.

BDevNumWrites is the number of pages that have been written to the device on sd.

Reference: http://code.google.com/p/compcache/wiki/StatsExplained

Have a nice day

Niki

Guest teknologist
Hello,

I have tried your update and it made the phone even faster then it was with Paul's ROM. Great work to you and Paul for makeing my phone better :D

I don't know how many who reads this forums is as bad as me to understand how to do all these updates, I need everthing fed into my head with a big big spoon.. :P

The part which took me some time to figure out was this one:

"Once you are done editing userinit.sh, copy it to /system/sd using your favorite tool...(that's the only part where you need to be familiar enough with android tweaking)"

I do not know if there are many ways to do so, I first shaked my fist in anger cause I could not move/copy this file with Astro filemanager when browsing the phone.

I eventually found out I had to use the "ADB Shell" commands.

Can you write in your guide tips how to do this, I guess I'm not the only one who really enjoy the work you are doing, but haveing a hard time understanding what to do all the time.

BR

Sture

For the adb shell feel free to post you guides here ! I am a bit short on time to do that but topic is open so you are encouraged to contribute!

PS: I do have a real life away from computers/kernels... ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest Khrushchev

hey guys,

The rom sounds really great, but im SO confused with all this code stuff. I dont even know how to do all this ADB stuff.

I've tried google but can't find something that tells me how to do it.

could you please explain some of the more difficult things? like you said use your favourite tool. WHAT TOOL? im so lost.

I used the new Amon Ra recovery to partition my SD card, but cant seem to install a ROM which uses swap..

plz help

Khrush

Install was easy using the CM updater Paul packaged up a while back, phone definitely feels snappier, a lot snappier. Thanks for your hard work.

Can't wait for future releases, but not looking forward to the extra work when the next MoDaCo rom gets released, seem to be gaining update.zips to install from all over :D

hey guys,

The rom sounds really great, but im SO confused with all this code stuff. I dont even know how to do all this ADB stuff.

I've tried google but can't find something that tells me how to do it.

could you please explain some of the more difficult things? like you said use your favourite tool. WHAT TOOL? im so lost.

I used the new Amon Ra recovery to partition my SD card, but cant seem to install a ROM which uses swap..

plz help

Khrush

I strongly advise you to read this ADB for Dummies before you do anything!

Then read most of these to answer your question Information on everything

Good luck.

@teknologist

Well done mate and thanks you! I have lots to play with now this weekend :D

When I try to load the ramzswap module I get an error saying invalid parameter:

/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/compcache/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=64200 backing_swap=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
insmod: can't insert '/system/lib/modules/compcache/ramzswap.ko': invalid parameter[/codebox]

What am I missing?

Edit: Did something I should have done a log time ago; ran dmesg...:

[codebox]ramzswap: Using backing swap device: /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
[ 246.405792] ramzswap: memory limit set to 64200 kB
[ 246.410919] Cannot use backing swap with bad pages (4294967295)
[ 246.411193] ramzswap: Error setting swap header
[ 246.411804] ramzswap: Initialization failed: err=-22

What does this mean? That my card has errors or?

Edit2: Never mind... Forgot I was using fdisk to create the swap partion. i.e. no filesystem was created on my swap partition.... :D

Regards,

BTJ

Edited by BTJ

Guest jaysire
I will package the latest Teknologist kernel in future ROMs. :D

Do you have any ballpark on when that will happen? If I was expecting a new Modaco ROM in a couple of days, I would probably not try this kernel, but if you tell us it might be weeks, then I'll give the Teknologist kernel a shot right now... :P

Thanks to both for your work!

-JJ

Guest Khrushchev
I strongly advise you to read this ADB for Dummies before you do anything!

Then read most of these to answer your question Information on everything

Good luck.

@teknologist

Well done mate and thanks you! I have lots to play with now this weekend :D

You my good sir, are a freakin saint.

after some fiddling, i figured it out.

thank you so much

Khrush

Guest clarkEEE1

For all them that don't know what your on with I suggest you start reading pauls main thread only 100 + pages long all the info you need about everything. If you still don't understand it read it again might take a while but least you won't be asking millions of questions.

Guest drewstiff

I have it all set up and seems to be working (according to cat command) but wondered if I am meant to leave 'Swapper' installed as I think 'Swapper' is using the swap... er... as well? Or is Swapper a necessity for what we're doing here?

Will report back with comments regarding speed etc. tomorrow once it's been put through its paces a bit. Sleep time for me now!

Guest clarkEEE1
could someone please tell me how to increase the size of my swap partition

thanks in advance

Yeah the same way as you made your last swap partition but make it bigger.

If you were clever enough to make one surely you can do it again.

Edited by clarkEEE1

Yeah the same way as you made your last swap partition but make it bigger.

If you were clever enough to make one surely you can do it again.

i used the option in the recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3 and thats only 32mb

Guest teknologist

Information removed obsolete. Now all updates supersede older and are on post #1 for easier understanding

Edited by teknologist