21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

1. The kernel will work, but there is a script for compcache that normally resides on the a2sd partition. It should work though because the setup should create a directory with the right name on your device and put the script there. (Be sure to take the last automatic setup!).

2. It works with my MCR 2.2, so yes, I think it will wok.

HTH

Niki

Thanks Niki,

I presume you mean use the 1.5 kernel??

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

I currently have Teknologist's original "hard method" running on my Hero.

How easy would it be to go to the new auto method (ie removing the backup swap) without having to format the whole SD card?

In order to "remove" the swap, you will want to redeem the space and combine with the storage space on your SD card..To do this, you will have to remove all partitions first - which means you will have to reformat your SD card..

Unless they had stuff like "partition magic" for linux :D

In order to "remove" the swap, you will want to redeem the space and combine with the storage space on your SD card..To do this, you will have to remove all partitions first - which means you will have to reformat your SD card..

Unless they had stuff like "partition magic" for linux ;)

Actually you do; it is called parted... :P :D

BTJ

actually gparted comes pretty close to partition magic. except it is free and works :P

Well, gparted is a GUI interface over parted but to make it more similar to PartitionMagic, gparted is the way to go... :D

BTJ

just installed v1.6 of teknoligist's kernel.

All went smoothly - I have decided to keep my swap partition just in case I want it in the future.

Also upgraded to ext4 on my app partition and works fine.

good times indeed.

thanks dude :D

Guest GodsDevil

@ Keramidas

I have a question for you. I am using a code provided you in another topic that helps me access the paid and protected apps in the market. You provided the code in another topic wherein I created a file called userinit and added those two lines that change the operator number, pushed it to /system/sd and got full access to the market.

Now my question is will updating to teck's kernel and his userinit.sh file null the previous file and block my market access again???

Thanks

Guest Takigama

Just out of curiosity, anyone messed with cpufreq settings?

i've switched mine to the performance governor (ondemand is the default) and then made the minimum frequency the same as max (i.e. run cpu full-flog all the time).

Does actually seem a little quicker, but i imagine either my cpu or battery are going to melt at some point.

Also, is there any point to netfilter? i've yet to see the phone ever set any iptables rules. (might be worth dropping?)

Edited by Takigama

in phone info section this is kernel version is coming up as

2.2.27-mck-teknologist-1.5 root@neutrino

is anyone else getting 1.5 after installing 1.6?

If not any ideas?

Guest teknologist
in phone info section this is kernel version is coming up as

2.2.27-mck-teknologist-1.5 root@neutrino

is anyone else getting 1.5 after installing 1.6?

If not any ideas?

Yep, my bad this is normal as 1.6 was a ramdisk update and didn't recompile the kernel !

I fixed the first post.

Thanks for pointing that out! ;-)

How exactly do I backup my apps from the ext3 partition before I wipe it and reformat without the swap??

Anyone??

I guess it can be completed using the ADB console..I am guessing using the "ADB push" command..?

Teknologist, precisely, I get the following:

Firmware version - 1.5 <-- Are we not on 1.6 Donut yet?

Kernel version - 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.3 root@ubuntuX <-- I will wait for your 1.5 release :D

Guest teknologist
I guess it can be completed using the ADB console..I am guessing using the "ADB push" command..?

Teknologist, precisely, I get the following:

Kernel version - 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.3 root@ubuntuX <-- I will wait for your 1.5 release :D

My kernel versions have nothing to do with the android platform versions....

Latest, 1.6 has nothing to do with donut, the 1.6 is pure coincidence :-)

1.6 won't ever be out, HTC are going straight to 2.0!

The 1.6 kernel release is already out, see the first post on this thread...

I get it..

Well, I'm still running the 1.5SDK :D It does not have support for ext4 so I will have to update it first..

I'm getting impatient to get the latest kernel on my phone!! >.<

I get it..

Well, I'm still running the 1.5SDK :D It does not have support for ext4 so I will have to update it first..

I'm getting impatient to get the latest kernel on my phone!! >.<

I could well be wrong, and don't wish to offend - but are you getting the wrong end of the stick here?

Basically I would expect everyone here is on Android Firmware version 1.5 which is what Heros are shipped with. So why can't you use the latest kernel as listed here by Teknologist?

I could well be wrong, and don't wish to offend - but are you getting the wrong end of the stick here?

Basically I would expect everyone here is on Android Firmware version 1.5 which is what Heros are shipped with. So why can't you use the latest kernel as listed here by Teknologist?

I'm actually talking about the SDK now..Not the kernel..And I believe most of us are running SDK 1.6 (if not 2.0) already? :D

I'm actually talking about the SDK now..Not the kernel..And I believe most of us are running SDK 1.6 (if not 2.0) already? :D

Umm no...

Everyone has 1.5 SDK as donut has not been ported to the Hero!

Guest payne4life

hi there guys! i'm on MCR 2.6 and thinking of getting on MCR 2.8 and then applying tecknologist's kernel.. what i need to know is if my apps will stay installed and run-able because i don't want to install 100+ apps again!! Can anyone confirm that going from 2.6->2.8+applying 1.4 kernel will not "kill" my apps?! Also i have to mention that my sd card is formatted as stated in amon ra's recovery: space+swap+ext3

Well sorry guys, I'm also a noob. Maybe some terms still don't make sense that well to me, but hey we are all learning here too :P At least I'm willing to contribute to the Android community for my love towards Android :D

Anyway, I've written a small guide to make ext4 partition for your SD card. If you see any errors somewhere, please don't hesitate to correct me, like bunt83 and Higgsy did ;)

I'm using Amon Ra v1.2.3, CMR2.8 and Teknologist's 1.4 kernel (Im your big fan already!)

Just like how our angel teknologist said, I will not bear any responsibilities if your Hero turns into a gremlin or anything else..lol..

While I have included a little backup procedure, I suggest a clean start would be best :lol: Here we go..

1. Backup your data. NOT in the recovery mode! Type the following in the CMD:

cd\
(This goes to your hard disk's top level)
mkdir backup001
(this created a folder backup001)
adb pull /system/sd/ C:\backup001
(This will move your SD files to backup001 folder. Note the drive you are using!) 2. Boot into recovery of your phone. (Home + Power) or type the following:
adb shell reboot recovery
3. Type the following
adb shell
at the # prompt, type:
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
Type the following:
print
You can now see your partitions on your SD card (if any) Type the following (depending on how many partitions you currently have):
rm1  <-- this will remove your first partition

rm2  <-- this will remove your second partition

rm3  <-- this will remove your third partition
Type "print" again to make sure all partitions are gone. Also, make sure you remember you Disk size. Mine says "3964MB" since im using a 4GB SD card. Make your first partition by deducting the Disk size which you remembered above with the amount you want to use for your ext filesystem. In my case, I'm saving 512MB. So,
3964 - 512 = 3452 (3452 will be the end class for your fat32 partition and beginning class for your ext2 partition)
Now, our partition tables will be:
0 - 3452 (fat32) 3452 - 3964 (ext2)
Type the following (use your own start and end values):
mkpartfs primary fat32 0 3452
mkpartfs primary ext2 3452 3964
to check it, type:
print
Now, quit the gparted by typing:
quit
upgrade your ext2 to ext3 by typing the following command (NOT IN GPARTED ANYMORE):
upgrade_fs
***THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY FOR VERIFICATION. YOU CAN SKIP IF YOU WISH*** If you want to verify if your ext3 was successful, type the following:
then, type
print
see it? its ext3. Now, type:
quit
******************************************************************* Now, to make it ext4, follow the following command:
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
After that, type the following string:
e2fsck -fpDC0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Thats it..Wanna check? Then, Once again..
print
ext4! Whee! now,
quit

***Once this is done, you have ext4 setup..

***Flash your new kernel from our Hero angel -> Teknologist

I made this guide just to save time for our Hero angel Teknologist so he can work on his next kernel instead of wasting time on simple works like this. We have your back bro!

Guest jaysire

For some reason Dropbear stopped working after installing 1.6. I know it worked before, because I used SCP to copy Teknologist 1.6 to my phone. Now it just gives me "connection refused" with the exact same command that worked before. Maybe you overwrote some startup script? I tried running it manually with

su

cd /usr/xbin (just to make sure I'm executing the right one)

./dropbear -A -N root -U 0 -G 0 -C mypassword -p 2222

And it doesn't complain, but Dropbear isn't running either. The hero has no pipe sign that I can find, so even ps | grep dropbear can't be entered.

killall dropbear always gives me "no processes killed", so evidently it's never running.

There's no /var/log, so I don't know where to look for errors and having the limited text entering capabilities of the Hero, it's hard to test stuff out like you would on a normal Unix, Linux or such...

EDIT: Got it working by running /system/bin/dropbear.sh by hand. Apparently something changed and that has now got to be run by hand. I'll check out userinit later. But on another note: My phone spontaneously rebooted a while ago while entering ./dropbear.sh in a terminal. Don't know if the system is unstable, but will keep an eye on it.

-J

Edited by jaysire

@ Keramidas

I have a question for you. I am using a code provided you in another topic that helps me access the paid and protected apps in the market. You provided the code in another topic wherein I created a file called userinit and added those two lines that change the operator number, pushed it to /system/sd and got full access to the market.

Now my question is will updating to teck's kernel and his userinit.sh file null the previous file and block my market access again???

Thanks

pssstt..why don't you use Market Enabler? :P Works for me~ :D

Get it here

Can someone please mirror the 1.6 update please? Teknos link is bottoming out and stalling on download.

Thanks!

Its not working for me too! Its downloading, but giving a bad install..

Anyone please mirror a functioning 1.6 kernel please!!

EDIT:

I just realized, the kernel 1.6 could not be flashed with ext4. If you are following my small tute up there, u need to install the kernel before converting it to ext4..

Edited by Shahz