Battery life on Pulse

Guest GB-UK

I put my Pulse on charge last night and left it charging to give it a full charge. I've used it today to download a couple of apps and send a few texts and the battery needs charging again! Is this usual for the Pulse to need charging so frequently?

I put my Pulse on charge last night and left it charging to give it a full charge. I've used it today to download a couple of apps and send a few texts and the battery needs charging again! Is this usual for the Pulse to need charging so frequently?

Hi, I have this device now for 4 days so I cannot comment on the Pulse yet. But these kind of devices typically use quite a bit of batterypower. You must not compare it to regular non-smartphones. I have had several windows mobile based devices and they basically all need to be charged daily. turning off bluetooth, gps and 3G helps quite a bit in this department. It also depends how often you synchronise email etc., but this diminishes somewhat the usablitlty of these devices.

Guest colonel_butt

firstly you need to cycle the batery around 3 or 4 times before it starts to keep more charge

I had my pulse on standby from Friday until monday and it hardly dropped any charge.

however, when I am playing games, getting email, etc. I don't get more then a day. So its generally daily charge during the week.

rgds

Well I charged my Pulse to full last night and checked the battery before going to bed and it said 100% got up this morning and it was at 57%. I checked my email which took it down to 47% straight away, I then checked the phone again at about 9.05am and it was 17%. By lunch time when I was back in the staff room it was completely dead.

Its now onto it's forth charge so if it just needs to be cycled through a charge 3/4 times then it should start to hold it better from now on. I've spoken to T-Mobile and they said to take it into one of there shops to get it checked out which I will probably be able to do on Thursday, unless it starts to hold the charge better before then then I won't bother.

I've been charging the Pulse now for 4 hours and it's reached 95% charge and will go no higher, it does say battery health is good. Does anyone elses battery stop charging at 95%? It says it's still charging but hasn't moved from 95% in the last half hour I've been monitoring it.

I've been charging the Pulse now for 4 hours and it's reached 95% charge and will go no higher, it does say battery health is good. Does anyone elses battery stop charging at 95%? It says it's still charging but hasn't moved from 95% in the last half hour I've been monitoring it.

Some phones are like this, G1 does this as well, is it brand new? If so then leave it on charge for 8hrs at a minimum to help calibrate the battery.

I let it charge over night and when I got up this morning it was at 100%. Just checked now and its still got a charge and its at 53% so looks like it just needed to have a few charges under its belt to get the battery upto full charge! Love the phone and all the apps!! Thanks for all the help!

Turning wifi off has helped me out loads. I have GPS, wifi and 3g turned off =]

I have wifi and GPS turned off and only switch them on when needed. Leaving 3g on doesn't seem to drain to much battery for me but then I don't get that many emails and haven't set up twitter to notifiy me whenever any of my followers or those I follow send a tweet. Might give it a try tommorow with twitter switched on to see how it effects the battery life! Now all I have to sort out is the google calendar sync. You would have thought that a google based platform would have no issues with syncing your google calendar, I never had this issue on my blackberry :D

Guest helikopter

hello! i have an issue with the battery indicator on my pulse. every time i use the phone, the percentage indicator lowers quite fast, definitely faster than it should. then, when i put the phone into sleep mode, it starts to regain some percents. the isue is not so big until the indicator reaches around 50 %. then it starts to behave crazy.

let's say my battery is around 40 % and i browse the internet for 20 minutes. it suddenly sinks down to 20 %,, which should be definitely false. when i turn off the screen, and turn it on again after 15 minutes, it shows 35 % again. it seems that as the battery runs emptier, the bigger "skips" the indicator produces.

the problem is that i don't know which value is the correct one, so i can't trust in the battery indicator anymore. the othe problem is that if the indicator reaches the 2-3 % level, the phone turns off itself, and as i mentioned, this can happen very fast even on moderate usage after the indicator goes below 50 %. that means that i can use the phone for hours before it reaches that level but after that it lasts much much shorter.

is it a problem of hardware, or software, or battery? maybe overheating? someone please give me an advice because i don't know if i should bring back the device to t-mobile or not.

Guest helikopter
Odd!

Have you hard reset? If so, yeah, a different battery would be a good idea...

P

i haven't done any hard resets on the phone yet, i started to use it straight out of the box after i bought it. should i do that? is there really a chance that it would help me to solve the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's been out in the wild a while, can anybody who has owned both comment on how the Pulse battery life compares with the G1 with similar use?

I've been avoiding jumping back into Android since that phone because that was so bad (compared to similar spec'd HTC PPCs), and I've yet to see convincing proof that the Hero / Magic are much better at coping with a full day with push email etc.

Does the bigger battery on the Pulse do the job, or is it still really a leisure phone only?

Edited by Metoo

Can't really comment on battery life personally as only had it for 5 days, with constant connections to the pc with messing around.... But was wondering how long did the battery last in the G1?

Can't really comment on battery life personally as only had it for 5 days, with constant connections to the pc with messing around.... But was wondering how long did the battery last in the G1?

Just about a day if I left it alone. Half a day if I used it for my diary and approx half dozen calls and similar number of texts. No way could I spend 8 hours away from a charger. Tried a 2600mAh battery which just about managed 'till I got home but felt like I was carrying half my house. All with push email on 2 accounts and hourly RSS updates running between 7am and 7pm (which I need). Similar use on Treo Pro / Touch HD / X1 / iPhone would give at least 1 - 1.5 days.

Edited by Metoo

• 1 month later...
Guest dandysd
Just about a day if I left it alone. Half a day if I used it for my diary and approx half dozen calls and similar number of texts. No way could I spend 8 hours away from a charger. Tried a 2600mAh battery which just about managed 'till I got home but felt like I was carrying half my house. All with push email on 2 accounts and hourly RSS updates running between 7am and 7pm (which I need). Similar use on Treo Pro / Touch HD / X1 / iPhone would give at least 1 - 1.5 days.

I have it for 5 days and it is dead usually after 37 mins of phone calls, if you are do nothing it runs almost for about 20 hours from full battery. Am going to return the phone. There is no way I can work with up to 40 mins a day of phone calls. And do not try anybody tell that it is normal, it is not.

I have it for 5 days and it is dead usually after 37 mins of phone calls, if you are do nothing it runs almost for about 20 hours from full battery. Am going to return the phone. There is no way I can work with up to 40 mins a day of phone calls. And do not try anybody tell that it is normal, it is not.

Did you try turning 3G off? That can make a hell of a diffrence to teh battery, especially if in a marging area.

That said, I get the impression that this is Android's Achilles Heel, and it's one reason I have yet jumped back into Android after the G1.

Because of all the 'cool' widgets, syncing and and fully multitasking OS, and no easy way of properly closing apps, the damn thing is so busy process cycling and chatting to the network in the background that it never gets chance to have a proper rest. 3rd generation hardware like the Hero doesn't seem to be that much better. I guess manufacturers are too scared of putting in a decent battery for fear of disrupting some fashion victims' VPL.

What apps and data connections do you have?

If I have push email, and my rss app auto updating it certainly kills the battery quickly without having t o do anything at all.

Turn them off and it'll easily last a day+, which is all you can really expect from a smart phone now days.

I must admit I find the battery life to be the main flaw with the pulse. I can cope with the sh*tty camera, and the occasionally unresponsive screen, but the battery life issue is making me consider selling the phone.

I am locked to 2g, have background data off, auto synchronisation off, wifi off, bluetooth off, GPS off, and yesterday I made about 20 mins of calls and my phone battery died at 9pm having been unplugged from the mains charger at 7.30am !!

The problem for me is, there is little point in having so many features on my phone if the battery isn't sufficiently powerful to support them. The rating states 1500mAh - surely they could fit a more powerful battery into that space ? Perhaps more powerful 3rd party batteries may appear on Ebay in future - although Pulse related items seem to be rather scarce at the moment...

Edited by jlgmax

Guest racingclub
I am locked to 2g, have background data off, auto synchronisation off, wifi off, bluetooth off, GPS off, and yesterday I made about 20 mins of calls and my phone battery died at 9pm having been unplugged from the mains charger at 7.30am !!

that doesnt sound right. I got stuck in a tcon a few days ago for an hour on the Pulse, and this was after a normal days fiddling (WiFi browsing, Market browsing, bit of Twidroid etc). I still had a half-full battery when I came to charge it in the evening.

How about when no apps are installed? or maybe install them one by one after checking battery impact.

I must admit I find the battery life to be the main flaw with the pulse. I can cope with the sh*tty camera, and the occasionally unresponsive screen, but the battery life issue is making me consider selling the phone.

The problem for me is, there is little point in having so many features on my phone if the battery isn't sufficiently powerful to support them. The rating states 1500mAh - surely they could fit a more powerful battery into that space ? Perhaps more powerful 3rd party batteries may appear on Ebay in future - although Pulse related items seem to be rather scarce at the moment...

Normally I would think radio stack but if you have gone down to 2G one would think it is unlikely to be that. Haven't used my pulse yet but one thing that canes the battery on most phones is the screen settings - don't know what options are available for turning screen off/backlight timeout but might be worth seeing if they make much impact. Also have a vague recollection that some phone in the past was having battery life problems which was related to accessing the SD card constantly - have you tried using it without the memory card in to see if that is the problem?

The problem for me is, there is little point in having so many features on my phone if the battery isn't sufficiently powerful to support them. The rating states 1500mAh - surely they could fit a more powerful battery into that space ?

The battery isn't the problem, unless Hauwei have overstated its capacity (which given its origins wouldn't surprise me). All its more expensive competitors have smaller batteries (Hero 1350, Magic 1340, Milestone/Droid 1400).

Edited by Metoo

Guest le_lutin
The battery isn't the problem, unless Hauwei have overstated its capacity (which given its origins wouldn't surprise me). All its more expensive competitors have smaller batteries (Hero 1350, Magic 1340, Milestone/Droid 1400).

Agreed, it's got one of the biggest batteries out there, so it can't be that, although I have to say, i'm also quite disappointed with the battery life (I don't autosync or anything). I think I might have a go at installing the setCPU application to underclock the Pulse when it's on standby. Seems like it worked well for a few users on here.