The official HTC HD2 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest firstandlast

Hi,

I just wanted to know if the co-pilot software is version 7 or 8. If it's 7 can it be removed from the add remove programs section.

I have version 8 already and understand there have been issues with people not being able to install version 8 on devices with version 7 on them.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Hi,

I just wanted to know if the co-pilot software is version 7 or 8. If it's 7 can it be removed from the add remove programs section.

I have version 8 already and understand there have been issues with people not being able to install version 8 on devices with version 7 on them.

Many thanks,

Paul.

It's 8,0,0,457 from the ROM I've got... Also, it's not a CAB, it's a set of files, so there's no option to remove it.

For my 2p - I'd just like to see the camera, stills in all normal and low light, plus video recording in both.

Can you use the leds whilst recording videos? Does it focus when taking a video?

Pretty sure I read on mobile-review it plays DiVX file easily..

You can use the LED light in camcorder mode. It auto focuses prior to starting the video then stays at that setting.

I will put a DivX on today and test!

P

Hi,

Many thanks,

Paul.

It's Co-Pilot live 8.

P

Apart from the obvious battery question I think that the main one is it worth circa £500 sim-free???

Everyone's 'worth £500' is different! :D

It compares favourably with other similarly priced devices I guess!

P

What is the screen made of ? Is it definitely glass ... ie cold ... or is it more like a hard plastic ?

It certainly feels like glass.

With the pinch to zoom in apps like Pocket Informant and WM native settings screens ... we've seen websites showing PI being zoomed with a mini zoom location windows at the bottom middle. Once zoomed ... I'd suspect you'd then touch buttons / selections more easily as they would be bigger ... it would be good to confirm this actually works on the GA device.

The magnifier works in such a way that you pinch zoom, but when you then click it returns to 1x magnification.

The pictures of the supplied headphone jack shows it has 4 contacts. This as many have mentioned is usual only with devices that include TV-Out. We know the HD2 isn't advertised with TV-Out ... but it would be interesting to see what would happen if you installed a TV-Out cable from a device like the TP2.

I don't have a TV Out cable to test unfortunately!

I agree ... please take the device outside and see how clear it is in day light .... doesn't have to be particularly sunny to tell if it is better than the TP2 (which I thought was better than the TyTNII) or the Omnia2 (the device I was going to get before the HD2 was announced ... and I understand although the AMOLED is lovely in doors it is not good in outside light).

The rain has abated today so i'll try and do some outside comparisons with my Omnia 2.

Can you see if you can disable TF3D / Sense ... it is rumoured this isn't straight forward ... which I find extraordinary. If you can ... it would be great to see what the experience is like with MS3.5.

Not in the standard UI, all the windows places you'd do that are hidden away. You could do it with something like SKTools though.

If you have a stowaway BT keyboard and mouse ... it would be great to check it works on the HD2. I have one that I have used under 6.1 with the TyTNII ... I think with the screen this size, the combination of the two will actually be useful to me for the first time.

I don't i'm afraid!

Everyone has talked about potential issues re graphics drivers etc. I really don't know how much of a problem this will be either way. There has been some interesting debate on xda-developers recently suggesting that performance is good and infact ... other sites showing side by side test of openGL against the HD ... and the HD2 was massively faster. This seemed contrary to previous benchmarks that showed massive performance everywhere but 3G graphics. I guess what I'm asking is ... do you have any other benchmarks etc that you can run that may shed light.

I'll run some benchmarks for the review.

Could you try as many native WM apps (those not touched by TF3D) and those decent apps like PI, Flexmail, Cash Organiser, Softmaker Office etc that haven't yet been optimised for touch ... it would just be interesting to see in practice how easy these were to use ... again ... I guess this depends on whether the above general zoom capability was delivered in the GA rom and how effective it is once you are zoomed in.

See above. I'll install some of those apps for you and see how I get on.

I'm also interested in how the battery back is detached ? Is there a lock ... a clip ... ? how do you remove it ... is it easy ? does it seem sturdy ? Will obviously be important for soft resets and swapping the MicroSDHC.

You pull the thumb-indent on one side. Seems pretty tight and sturdy.It's made of metal too!

P

Guest Syphon Filter

Paul,

On my Touch Pro I run into issues if I try to run CamerAware and Co-Pilot Live 8 at the same time, is this something you could test on the HD2 to see if you encounter any low memory issues or GPS glitches?

Cheers.

Hey Paul,

back to my RAM question - I guess what I'm wondering is that there is another 160MB of RAM in the HD2 over the Touch HD - how much of that extra is "spare" e.g. for browsing or whatever, and how much has been taken up by a resource hungry Sense UI overlay?

Any way you can compare the two? You can probably tell i'm not very technical.

hi all - just spoke to tmobile uk, they were meant to launch the phone on Friday the 6th but that's now been delayed to the 14th!! Grrr :D

sharing your anger! I don't know why, but I fall for the "we'll be releasing it next week" line every time.

sharing your anger! I don't know why, but I fall for the "we'll be releasing it next week" line every time.

i know! do you know if carphonewarehouse or such like are releaseing earlier? can always pop there for an upgrade and atleast have an unlocked hanset although no doubt Paul will teach us how to unlock etc in due course.... :D

Guest tsutton
A heads up that i'm pretty disappointed with the battery life in my limited testing so far...

Booo. :D

How long did it last and what background applicatons/services were running?

Could it be because the ROM is not final? Or it's deffo final?

Guest forelli

Hi Paul,

Just a question: is the HD2 a huge jump forward compared to, let's say, a HTC Blackstone with a wm 6.5 218xx rom, apart from the Snapdragon cpu?

Guest markdotpeters5
You can use the LED light in camcorder mode. It auto focuses prior to starting the video then stays at that setting.

I will put a DivX on today and test!

P

cheers Paul, looking forward to the results.

Guest tacchan23
Hi Paul,

Just a question: is the HD2 a huge jump forward compared to, let's say, a HTC Blackstone with a wm 6.5 218xx rom, apart from the Snapdragon cpu?

Don't forget that Austria is cold during winter and you need gloves :D

Well, jokes aside the main point left seems to be the battery life... hope to hear more soon!

Hi Paul,

I think so, yeah!

P

fresh off the phone with my friends at T mo...release date is now officially the 14th of Nov, seems odd to me that its a Saturday but there you go! apparently you can call them on the saturday for delivery Monday.

god knows with them it's subject to change though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.