Google Mail AND Google Activesync

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

Slightly odd question perhaps

I currently have a hosted Exchange service, but I'm thinking of dropping it to save money

I need to keep separate calendars, and want over-the-air sync'ing.

I'd heard that you can use Google accounts through Activesync, so what I wondered was can I have BOTH of these:

one Google account (with my own domain name) sync's through Activesync AND

another Google account for GMail, Google calendar, Market etc

Does that make sense, and is it possible?

Guest colmanc

For me, the better option would be to migrate your Exchange mail, calendar, contacts, etc to a Google Apps account. Android will work fine with one of these, and you can set up another GMail or Google Apps account with IMAP access if needed. If you need multiple calendars then that is possible too.

This way you stop paying for your hosted Exchange service. I used to offer this as a service but have moved to Google Apps now.

Colman

I currently have a hosted Exchange service, but I'm thinking of dropping it to save money

I'd heard that you can use Google accounts through Activesync, so what I wondered was can I have BOTH of these:

Guest chucky.egg

Hmm.

Google Apps costs about the same as my Exchange hosting, so no gain there. Or is there a free version somewhere?

My priorities are Contacts, Calendar, Email (in that order), all of which I can achieve with a vanilla Google account - it's just a question of whether it works through Activesync.

Guest Musicmannetje

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering if the HERO can cope with multiple accounts.

Well.... Call it a bit overdone, but I have 3 mail / calendar accounts running.

I have gmail, with the google agenda and contacts

Outlook/exchange sync on the account from work, doing email and calendar

My own Imap mail account doing just email.

The hero also has its own calendar, with no sync at all.

This works well, although I still haven't found a way to sync phone contacts with my gmail account, so i am stuck with double entries for some accounts which are both on my phone and on gmail/gtalk.

Guest chucky.egg

Sort of, but more specifically whether I can use a second Google account with Activesync.

I've never used Google via Activesync, and I've seen a comment that says Google Activesync didn't work on the Hero

I think I might just have to try it and see what happens.

Guest colmanc

There is a free version of Google Apps, I use it for 3 different domains myself. Have a look at http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

I have all my contacts in one Google Apps account, which I sync with my Hero. The other Apps acounts are checked using IMAP. I have set up the calendar on the web interface for my primary Apps account to also show the calendars for my other accounts (with read/write access) and they sync nicely through to my Hero too.

You can achieve all this with a vanilla account, but then you have issues around reply-to addresses, etc.

You can probably achieve everything you want with Activesync, but it's a product I'm not very familiar with so I'd hate to offer much of an opinion there.

Hope this helps,

Colman

Hmm.

Google Apps costs about the same as my Exchange hosting, so no gain there. Or is there a free version somewhere?

My priorities are Contacts, Calendar, Email (in that order), all of which I can achieve with a vanilla Google account - it's just a question of whether it works through Activesync.

• 2 months later...
Guest skidkinny
If I understand you correctly, you are wondering if the HERO can cope with multiple accounts.

This works well, although I still haven't found a way to sync phone contacts with my gmail account, so i am stuck with double entries for some accounts which are both on my phone and on gmail/gtalk.

Hi can you help? I need to know how to set up the sync between outlook express, email, contacts, calendar. I sort of have it working but it duplicates some data and misses other? I would appreciate some help on this. I have used windows mobiles before with no problem, but this is proving a little more tricky.

skidkinny

Guest skidkinny

I know what you're trying to do, and yes it should be easily do-able. When setting the phone up, put in your GMail/Calendar/Market details as the Google Account.

Then, add an additional account (an Exchange Mail account) below, or do so in the HTC Mail App.

Settings needed are

• Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address (e.g. [email protected])
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes

Source: http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f...nc_Settings.htm

You will then be able to set the retrieval interval to 'As Items Arrive', which is hidden right up at the top of the list where I missed it for ages :), if you want 'push' ActiveSync on mail.

Everything else should be relatively self explanatory.

HTH

• 9 months later...
Guest chucky.egg

Happy Anniversary!

I'd forgotten about this thread - I renewed my Exchange hosting last time because I'd left it too late to cancel, but now I've bitten the bullet.

What I have today is:

1. Primary Google account - for Market purchases etc, and with a sub-calendar for my Work calendar

2. Secondary Google account - for personal email, calendar, tasks, contacts - this is setup to send from my own domain (with incoming mail forwarded to the google account)

I would have put all the calendars and contacts into my Secondary google account, but it won't let me show the sub-calendars for a Secondary account (only the main calendar for the Secondary account for some reason).

The Exchange option didn't work for me, because it sends mail from the Google account, where as GMail can be set to send it from my own ("real") domain and email address

Some compromises, but mostly easy to setup.