Programs Auto-Closing!

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Hi there, first off I want to clarifie that Im new to Windows Mobile, the O2 is actually my first smartphone/PPC.

Did u guys notice that apps (or exactly processes with a own window AFAIK) that are in the background get automaticly closed by the OS whenever it thinks that they using to much ram. That behavior can be really annoying, especally when opera gets killed because u minimized it for a second to change the playlist in the mediaplayer and so on.

Zman919 here in the forum does at the moment develop with great effort an application that can protect certain apps from getting closed by the os. But his work is still pretty early and I actually run into some problems using the app.

I thought it might be a good idea to open a new thread that his directly aimed at the O2 to see if there are any O2 specific setting (for example) in the registry that may can change or alter that windows behavior?

Did u guys notice that apps (or exactly processes with a own window AFAIK) that are in the background get automaticly closed by the OS whenever it thinks that they using to much ram. That behavior can be really annoying, especally when opera gets killed because u minimized it for a second to change the playlist in the mediaplayer and so on.

Ha, I can beat that! At one point the ONLY application I had running was Opera...I was actively browsing a page, got a text message that popped up and I watch Opera close because I was out of memory. I was just on a Google results page in Opera too...

Guest ray1234

Stop running the useless TouchWiz and the memory problem will be resolved. My programs don't jump out once the TouchWiz is disabled.

Of course, that depends on whether you like the TouchWiz interface or not. For me, it's not a problem as I hate the TouchWiz's response, too slow for my taste. For TouchWiz lovers, no solution at the moment.

Stop running the useless TouchWiz and the memory problem will be resolved. My programs don't jump out once the TouchWiz is disabled.

Which functions of TouchWiz are you referring to? I've disabled the replacement mail/txt program, and the Today screen...but left the dialer. Is there anything more?

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Ok, tried another rom-version (IJ9 to IJC), but windows stills kills apps long before id run out of ram.

I disabled TouchWiz and the Samsung caller on day one, but use mobile shell 3.5 and s2u2 instead.

Do u experince the described behavour if your free memory goes down to 30 MB or less?

Solution go back to 6.1 ... 6.5 doesn't have a lot of advantages compare to 6.1

So is this not happening on the 6.1 roms? Not at all?

If so it would actually be enough for me to flash to a 6.1 rom.

How is memory there by the way?

Edited by TheGoDxxxx

Guest elementalfusion

i had the same problem with j9 (6.5) so i flashed back to h9 (6.1) and apps stop closing automatically. i had about 65mb free on boot up with j9 and now 85mb free with h9.

Guest TheGoDxxxx
i had the same problem with j9 (6.5) so i flashed back to h9 (6.1) and apps stop closing automatically. i had about 65mb free on boot up with j9 and now 85mb free with h9.

Thanks man, I think the extra 20 megs of ram alone just nailed the coffin of 6.5 for me. Still sad, shame on u samsung.

But can u tell me if the closing-beavour is even happening at 6.1, and if so at how less free memory it starts?

Anyway, probably gonna flash to night one way or another...will report back afterwards.

Guest TheGoDxxxx

fuuck, that sucks. Who at MS came up with that idea, I cant even imagine a situation where Id rather have applications closed at random instead of getting an out of memory message. Its like having only half the memory of what little u got in the first place.

Does the 50-60 MB u getting after boot include start-up-apps like a custom ui (mobile shell for example) or just plain windows? On what rom are u by the way?

Edited by TheGoDxxxx

Guest elementalfusion

My 85mb free ram includes mobile shell 3.5, s2u2, and a few other programs in the background. Clean flash should have around 93mb iirc. If u want the most free space on main mem/ram, then it can only be h9...

Until an ultralite 6.5 rom that is :)

Guest TheGoDxxxx
My 85mb free ram includes mobile shell 3.5, s2u2, and a few other programs in the background. Clean flash should have around 93mb iirc. If u want the most free space on main mem/ram, then it can only be h9...

Until an ultralite 6.5 rom that is :D

Woow, I get 83 MB with only MBS 3.5, s2u2 and AE Button...83 MB in use :D So u actually come close to 30 MB of more usable memory, nice dude :) .

Thanks again mate, will flash tomorrow.

Edited by TheGoDxxxx

So sad.... I am loving the omnia 2, loving on its design and AMOLED scree, but seem it has a lot of problems, maybe i will change my mind to get this phone. Haiz...

The auto closing problem is damn annoying problem. Argh.....

fuuck, that sucks. Who at MS came up with that idea, I cant even imagine a situation where Id rather have applications closed at random instead of getting an out of memory message. Its like having only half the memory of what little u got in the first place.

Does the 50-60 MB u getting after boot include start-up-apps like a custom ui (mobile shell for example) or just plain windows? On what rom are u by the way?

After with SPB mobile shell started up, No other startup apps. But I have Omnia Qwerty with 6.1. On my old nokia apps never got closed! Even after weeks, so this is really bad. I already ordered a Nokia again, putting this away. I want real multitasking.

Guest dwallersv

This is a "feature" of the WinCE memory model, and has been around for a long time. It's related to the "close button doesn't close apps" stupidity.

There are ways around both of these issues. The latter can be solved by a variety of third party apps that modify the close button to be a real close button. I use WkTask.

The autoclosing-in-the-background problem can be fixed with SKTools on an app-by-app basis. Go to the Processes tool, select the process you want to be persistent, and select "Add to the do not close list" from the Action menu. That application will no longer be closed by the OS.

Use this with care, and only apply it to apps you really really want to be persistent. Because there is no Virtual Memory in WinCE, the OS has little choice but to close idle apps when it is running out of memory. Making most of the stuff you run regulary persistent can cause your phone to bog down and become impossibly unresponsive, forcing a reboot.

This is a "feature" of the WinCE memory model, and has been around for a long time. It's related to the "close button doesn't close apps" stupidity.

There are ways around both of these issues. The latter can be solved by a variety of third party apps that modify the close button to be a real close button. I use WkTask.

The autoclosing-in-the-background problem can be fixed with SKTools on an app-by-app basis. Go to the Processes tool, select the process you want to be persistent, and select "Add to the do not close list" from the Action menu. That application will no longer be closed by the OS.

Use this with care, and only apply it to apps you really really want to be persistent. Because there is no Virtual Memory in WinCE, the OS has little choice but to close idle apps when it is running out of memory. Making most of the stuff you run regulary persistent can cause your phone to bog down and become impossibly unresponsive, forcing a reboot.

The problem is that the Omnia 2 is configured (by Samsung) to close applications when there is lots of memory free. I've literally had it where I opened the Task Switcher, saw 7 programs running. Closed out of it, went back in instantly after and there were 0 programs running, because it closed them all. This happens with 1, 2, 3, 7 programs running, it doesn't matter.

indeed annonying. I don't think wm6.5 is supposed to be so aggressive in closing apps, probably Samsung tweaked it be so. I often have apps closed when I still have more than 30M of memory available which is just insane. hope there is some registry setting that we can tweak so to lower the limit of the memory for apps closure

Guest skoda60

I had used Omnia2 on 6.1 IG, H3 and IH5 ROM. WM6.5 IJ9, IJC, IIk5. When on wm6.5 the free program RAM near 50mb, you can't run more program, eg, In the browser and went to answer the sms, browser close. While I was listening to the ebook, started the browser(UCWEB), open 3 tab and the story gone. Now back to 6.1 H5 ROM. Yet WM6.5 IJc and IK5 I can disabled the widget plus from setting General setting. In wm6.1 I can closed the widget plus but when I need to change the XTRA or USB connection mode, it was hide by Samsung. WM6.1 I can go to win mo setting, but not XTRA and USB connection. So When I need to set it, had to enable the Samsung widget plus. Even using SPB Mobile shell 3.5 also can set XTRA and USB connection.

Guest tacchan23
In wm6.1 I can closed the widget plus but when I need to change the XTRA or USB connection mode, it was hide by Samsung. WM6.1 I can go to win mo setting, but not XTRA and USB connection. So When I need to set it, had to enable the Samsung widget plus. Even using SPB Mobile shell 3.5 also can set XTRA and USB connection.

You don't need to enable widgetPlus just to access Samsung settings... if you don't have any UI to make a shortcut to it or don't want to use WM star menu, you can still launch TouchWiz manually to then access Samsung settings

Guest Joy Yeo

After adding to "Add to the do not close list" in SKTools, how do you remove it if u dun want in future?

Guest johnchan

I can say this problem is VERY annoying. I've had work app open, and still have 20-30MB free, and BANG switch to Messaging, then back, and the work app is CLOSED.

I remember with HTC phones there is a setting for the auto-kill, so it ONLY auto-kills if free memory reaches a certain amount, such as 5Mb or similar. You can set it in Advanced Configuration (the download tool). But running it on the Omnia II I dont see that option.

anyone know if there is a registry setting to adjust when it frees up RAM?

I would suggest to people to set it to 10MB or maybe 15Mb, because if your RAM is too low (ie. 5Mb) the Camera application complains it has insufficient RAM.

Guest skoda60
I can say this problem is VERY annoying. I've had work app open, and still have 20-30MB free, and BANG switch to Messaging, then back, and the work app is CLOSED.

I remember with HTC phones there is a setting for the auto-kill, so it ONLY auto-kills if free memory reaches a certain amount, such as 5Mb or similar. You can set it in Advanced Configuration (the download tool). But running it on the Omnia II I dont see that option.

anyone know if there is a registry setting to adjust when it frees up RAM?

I would suggest to people to set it to 10MB or maybe 15Mb, because if your RAM is too low (ie. 5Mb) the Camera application complains it has insufficient RAM.

Even at 40+mb free program RAM, Omnia2 under 6.5 and 6.1 started to closing down the program. But Omnia 1 even my free program momory 20+ and it worked without problem.

Guest skoda60
You don't need to enable widgetPlus just to access Samsung settings... if you don't have any UI to make a shortcut to it or don't want to use WM star menu, you can still launch TouchWiz manually to then access Samsung settings

Thank, learned.

Guest skoda60

Thank, learned. Now I enjoy the Omnia2 with H5 ROM. it have 73mb and 100mb on program and storage RAM respectively. Stable.