Programs Auto-Closing!

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Guest janvalek
Okay, I'm sad to report that I'm having this problem too (although I discovered it with Pocket Player, not Coreplayer).

Same deal -- when screen blanks, music will continue to play for a few minutes, then stop. Wake up the device, PP is paused.

Hit play, let screen time out, plays for a few minutes, then stops again.

I have the same issue. Stops after exactly 4 minutes. I was really frustrated when i found this out..

i 'solved' it by using s2p wich has a powertweak setting to keep it from stopping on power off

again a workaround, but my phone is starting to act like i want it to

Would still love a cleaner solution though..

Guest juergen0815

Without taskmon-service running my battery drains way faster than before:

I lost 44% in 8 hours with flightmode enabled.

With taskmon enabled it's 0% in 8 hours with flightmode enabled.

Edited by juergen0815

Guest junalmeida
I have the same issue. Stops after exactly 4 minutes. I was really frustrated when i found this out..

I have exactly this issue when using Windows Media Player, but it does not rely on whether the TaskMon is running.

Using Samsung Touch Player, I got "hiccups", while screen is off, on these situations:

1. TaskMon ON and Etiquette Mode ON.

2. TaskMon OFF and Etiquette Mode OFF.

With TaskMon ON and Etiquette mode OFF, there's no hiccups while playing music.

Guest Chainfire

Hmm I investigated a few things, but the _exact_ origins of why/what/when/where and how applications are shut by either TaskMon OR the system are still unclear. I've now tried most of the suggestions posted here, but at least on my device the problem remains that it < 30mb free programs are shut down.

I might still be able to disable this behavior but it will be tricky.

Guest junalmeida
Hmm I investigated a few things, but the _exact_ origins of why/what/when/where and how applications are shut by either TaskMon OR the system are still unclear. I've now tried most of the suggestions posted here, but at least on my device the problem remains that it < 30mb free programs are shut down.

My old HTC Touch Elf used to alert me when memory reaches critical levels, and provides me a list of running applications there i can choose to finalize. It never closes applications without asking me, event if with really low memory available.

I can export the whole registry of it if you want.

Guest dani_carrabba

are you sure you're already disabled taskmon?? before disabling taskmon i can't run beejive for 30 min, but now i can run it allday after disabling taskmon...

Guest mangaba

I don´t know if there is another variable that play a rule, but I can confirm that the suggestions works in my case. I can have 5 or 6 apps (games, coreplayer, opera, etc) and I stay with less than 1 MB free, without close any app.

If you get any improvement in the "method", is welcome

Thanks,

Guest junalmeida

Additionally to hiccups on music, i can confirm the battery drain too! Also, my device is getting a little bit hotter.

I have reverted the changes and now I'm using TaskMon again. :(

so?? does anyone got the autoclose program fix CAB?? i still want to use everything right like before.. i like the autorotate.. i got the cab file from here at Post #20 but it stop my B7610 to set to landscape mode.. any solution?

Edited by asbud

Guest dwallersv

Man, this is disappointing. I feel for you i8000 guys.

Clearly there are some significant differences between the software on the 8000 and what Verizon had Samsung release for the 920. The only problem I'm having with TaskMon disabled is the 4-minute sleep problem when listening to media. This is easily worked around with S2U2 by disabling the WM6 sleep timer (which still works on the 920), configuring the WM6 backlight off timer, S2U2 to lock when the backlight turns off, and then set S2U2 to go to sleep (power off). Then, put the media player (in my case Pocket Player and CorePlayer) in S2U2's exception list.

A lot of juryrigging, but once it's in place I have exactly the behavior of the phone I want without any compromises.

I'm not seeing the power drain issue, or any other with TasMon stopped. And, what I thought was a Large Indicator problem with TaskMon stopped actually appears to have been related to all the reg tweaking -- unwound, the LI feature is working normal again.

So, simply stopping TaskMon seems to be a viable solution to the app closing problem at least for Verizon 920 owners. That's part of the battle.

Guest Chainfire

VICTORY IS MINE

Just finished a patch that - without disabling taskmon or any other registry changes - changes the memory 'freeing' to not close any apps until free RAM drops below 15mb. Then it will only close apps until it reaches 20mb of free RAM - instead of the 45 or so that is done normally.

Doing some testing, release imminent!

(beta release this is, so far I see no side-effects, but who knows)

Congrat. But I think 15 mb is not enough. I tried my device and there is no problem, if the free memory is only 5 mb or less. Could you change it at maximum 5 mb or maybe 3-4. Thanks

VICTORY IS MINE

Just finished a patch that - without disabling taskmon or any other registry changes - changes the memory 'freeing' to not close any apps until free RAM drops below 15mb. Then it will only close apps until it reaches 20mb of free RAM - instead of the 45 or so that is done normally.

Doing some testing, release imminent!

(beta release this is, so far I see no side-effects, but who knows)

Guest Chainfire

Well, experiences differ, which is why this will be a very beta patch. For example, some of the tweaks listed in this thread do not work at all for me. No application will open for me if RAM is below < 10mb. I'll do some more testing with that. Taking TaskMon completely out of the picture, which tweaks did you (Whp1) use exactly ?

(Of course the actual values will be configurable through registry... but 15/20 works nice for my own needs)

Edited by Chainfire

Guest dwallersv
Well, experiences differ, which is why this will be a very beta patch. For example, some of the tweaks listed in this thread do not work at all for me. No application will open for me if RAM is below < 10mb. I'll do some more testing with that. Taking TaskMon completely out of the picture, which tweaks did you (Whp1) use exactly ?

(Of course the actual values will be configurable through registry... but 15/20 works nice for my own needs)

I take it you patched TaskMon.dll? If so, we may need a different version of the patch for the i920 TaskMon.dll, if it's different. I attached it...

Oh, and if you wouldn't mind taking a few minutes to explain technically what you found and did, for us hacker/engineer/techie types... :(

i920_TaskMon.zip

Edited by dwallersv

Guest Chainfire

Not just TaskMon, also kernel parts. But this is the art of 'run-time hacking', it doesn't require modifications to existing files, and I'm fairly sure I've built the patch well enough that _I_think_ a different TaskMon version will not a problem.

Guest dwallersv
Not just TaskMon, also kernel parts. But this is the art of 'run-time hacking', it doesn't require modifications to existing files, and I'm fairly sure I've built the patch well enough that _I_think_ a different TaskMon version will not a problem.

Ahhh... I'm formulating some guesses as to what you did. Along the lines of intercepting the WM_CLOSE messages, as suggested elsewhere in the thread, and passing WM_HIBERNATE if free memory is still large enough?

Please tell us... Don't make me beg! I will if I have to... :(

Only disabling the taskmon. Phone starts with 75 mb free. After using some programs drop down to 30-40 mb. Whatever ram freeing application I use.

In this case wm6.1 is a lot better with ram handling. (now WM 6.5 NXXJB1 rom).

Guest Chainfire

Odd, that. Oh well, I've made it configurable now so you can play :(

I'm not getting good results (due to WM memory management) if I lower below 10mb though.

Odd, that. Oh well, I've made it configurable now so you can play :(

I'm not getting good results (due to WM memory management) if I lower below 10mb though.

Thanks a lot. When will we see it?