So come on...who bought one!!!

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest AntonyW999
Really? How come?

P

Random closing of twitter reply box, random turning on and off of word suggestions in messaging, lag, no auto capital letter on start of sentence. It's a marginal improvement over the Omnia 2 which I heartily detest, but still way behind the iPhone 3GS and especially the Palm Pre.

And I've only been using it for a couple of hours. God knows what else is going to go wrong.

Edited by AntonyW999

Guest GodsGift
I did. Unfortunately. Not at all impressed. Thank god for distance selling regs. It will probably be on it's way back shortly.

your sending it back coz theres no multi touch in ie?

the performance stats arent that different...

anyone else?

GG

Guest AntonyW999
your sending it back coz theres no multi touch in ie?

the performance stats arent that different...

anyone else?

GG

Nothing to do with multi touch in IE. I never use IE anyway. The lag is really irritating and unexpected considering the processor, and the typing experience is abysmal compared to the competition. I may hang on to it and try other ROMS then again at £500 with the Experia X10 on the horizon I may just chuck it back. So far for me easily the best of the current crop is the Palm Pre (and that's without the improvements in the 1.3 update that's coming).

Guest GodsGift
Nothing to do with multi touch in IE. I never use IE anyway. The lag is really irritating and unexpected considering the processor, and the typing experience is abysmal compared to the competition. I may hang on to it and try other ROMS then again at £500 with the Experia X10 on the horizon I may just chuck it back. So far for me easily the best of the current crop is the Palm Pre (and that's without the improvements in the 1.3 update that's coming).

Palm Pre? really... haven't heard good stuff and it looks so dated...

GG

Guest AntonyW999
Palm Pre? really... haven't heard good stuff and it looks so dated...

GG

It's the best looking UI of the lot of them, unless you're impressed by having drops of water wiped off your screen / clouds / snowflakes etc. Been using mine since they arrived in the UK and nothing has ever crashed. Bit slow to open apps but once they're open, flicking between them is incredibly fast and the gesture system is brilliant. Different strokes as they say...

The lag is really irritating and unexpected considering the processor, and the typing experience is abysmal compared to the competition.

I never heard anyone complain about lag at all in any of the early reviews - most of whom said it was the best handset for typing they've used, then suddenly people have started mentioning lag while typing it in the last few days - must be a screw up in the final release? If it is at least a future flash will fix it, but not what i want for my £500!

Guest AntonyW999
I never heard anyone complain about lag at all in any of the early reviews - most of whom said it was the best handset for typing they've used, then suddenly people have started mentioning lag while typing it in the last few days - must be a screw up in the final release? If it is at least a future flash will fix it, but not what i want for my £500!

Apparently it's a different build. The ROM version on mine is 1.43.405.1 dated 26.10.09.

Guest AntonyW999

It's now stopped auto correcting and word suggesting completely. Which is unbelievably annoying. I feel like I'm beta testing. If you're typing as a new tweet arrives in Peep, there's a definite pause, which shouldn't be happening. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a phone.

Guest GodsGift
I feel like I'm beta testing. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a phone.

Really didn't wanna hear that .... is it THAT bad?

Or is it just early adopter-itus

GG

Edited by GodsGift

Guest AntonyW999
Really didn't wanna hear that .... is it THAT bad?

Or is it just early adopter-itus

GG

Unfortunately it's that bad. I never get early adopter-itus, I'm usually the opposite. I tend to have fairly long honeymoon periods with a new phone. This thing is just so annoying. The keyboard on the HTC Hero was absolutely phenomenal, best software keyboard available. I only dumped the Hero because it was hopelessly underpowered. I was expecting the keyboard on this to be just the same but it's not at all. Even when it's working the lag puts you off and you wind up hitting the key again thinking it didn't register. You can get decent speed out of it when the word completion is working but I've had to do a full reset to get that going again because it stopped working even though the option was turned on. Haven't had a chance to check it for video playback yet, and I'm not really interested in music because everything is on my iPod. Anyone who spends a large amount of time messaging / emailing on this will be driven nuts. I hope HTC manage to get a fix out for it quickly because the potential is there for this to be really good, but at the moment it's an exercise in frustration. Their upcoming Android phone with the same hardware should be pretty good so maybe that's the one to wait for.

Guest Syphon Filter
Same version...

P

Interesting, I wonder why you had such wildly differing experiences then.

Antony, are you really that aghast at the performance of the HD2 or are you winding us up?

I used the HD2 for 2.5 days ish before it had to go back, but I used it in anger and had no issues with the speed of the device or the input.

Again, with the Hero, there's the occasional wait but on the whole it now feels like a pretty sound device...

P

Guest GodsGift
I used the HD2 for 2.5 days ish before it had to go back, but I used it in anger and had no issues with the speed of the device or the input.

Again, with the Hero, there's the occasional wait but on the whole it now feels like a pretty sound device...

P

re speed ... I've been watching the xmoo video on youtube of the performance when he had 15 or so applications running and it looks pretty good.

GG

Guest yosnoor

I just got the HD2 today, and I'm fairly impressed. It's a beast, there's no denying that, and that's something I can't decide about just yet. I used the Hero before this, and was hugely impressed by it - everything worked smoothly and was well thought out, and it felt great in the hand. It basically did everything I wanted in a phone, except for video playback.

The HD2 is fast and smooth, too, and also handles pretty much any video format I throw at it (admittedly I have coreplayer, but you didn't even have that option for Android). I've had none of the slow downs some other people have been complaining about. My only concern is that it IS big. It currently doesn't, for me, feel as good as the Hero, but maybe it's something I just need to get accustomed to. I think it's a great phone, but I need more than a few hours for a final judgement. I didn't get the wow from it that I was expecting, but I think the Hero I had set my expectation benchmark so high, it would have had to be out of this world to really wow me.

As for typing, I really think it's pretty good in the short time I've had it. I think the dictionary's better than the iPhone's, and I can't really discern any difference to the Hero's. I haven't noticed any of the lag people are complaining about, and I really like the haptic feedback you get like the Hero implementation.

I am a winmo fan, been using for years, but have used other platforms. Hero, REALLY impressed me, and the iPhone was OK, if unimpressive. The jury's out on the HD2 at the moment, but I have high hopes for it.

Edited by yosnoor

Guest gavinfabl
I just got the HD2 today, and I'm fairly impressed. It's a beast, there's no denying that, and that's something I can't decide about just yet. I used the Hero before this, and was hugely impressed by it - everything worked smoothly and was well thought out, and it felt great in the hand. It basically did everything I wanted in a phone, except for video playback.

The HD2 is fast and smooth, too, and also handles pretty much any video format I throw at it (admittedly I have coreplayer, but you didn't even have that option for Android). I've had none of the slow downs some other people have been complaining about. My only concern is that it IS big. It currently doesn't, for me, feel as good as the Hero, but maybe it's something I just need to get accustomed to. I think it's a great phone, but I need more than a few hours for a final judgement. I didn't get the wow from it that I was expecting, but I think the Hero I had set my expectation benchmark so high, it would have had to be out of this world to really wow me.

I am a winmo fan, been using for years, but have used other platforms. Hero, REALLY impressed me, and the iPhone was OK, if unimpressive. The jury's out on the HD2 at the moment, but I have high hopes for it.

j had the hero before and much prefer the hd2. my first impressions will be on www.pda-247.com tomorrow. any other questions not covered just ask.

very strong radio, very strong gps btw.

Guest inmatrixout

For the multi touch problem you may try this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582811

:)