cant find a good root "how to"

Guest xsirhc6x

Guest xsirhc6x

just looking for instructions to root an unlocked htc hero! If possible id like to not have to wipe my hero! i have 2.73.405.5 so i guess i dont need to downgrade? a link to a "how to" post would be greatly appreciated as i do not know which ones are recent and/or good for what i need:)

sorry for probobly being the 100th person to ask this, i am new to this site as of today, i understand rooting and everything just dont know how! *could not find any instructions cuz only the roms are sticked!

A couple of months ago, I was totally new to Android and was in the same position as you. Trust me, there is a plethora of information out there on this subject. The trick is to search for it. :D

for me that was six weeks ago. just in this moment i am compiling the third kernel for the hero, this time hopefully with wifi :) i had some linux knowledge, but had never compiled something before and had nothing to do with android... quite a step learning curve i guess :D

@OP: you'll find it, look for the unlockr.

Edited by kendon

Guest Marcony0
for me that was six weeks ago. just in this moment i am compiling the third kernel for the hero, this time hopefully with wifi :) i had some linux knowledge, but had never compiled something before and had nothing to do with android... quite a step learning curve i guess :D

@OP: you'll find it, look for the unlockr.

I've been here a while, being all quiet but its bugging me a bit. I never rooted my phone, i just applied the 2.3 Modaco mod when i got my phone. And apps like ShotMe which require Root access , work fine ,even promps me for root access n when i grant it everything works. So i'm confused here, because many people ask for rooting their phones on this forum, but isn't it like if you apply the modaco mod it comes already rooted ?

good question. can anyone answer please?

probably because most people don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about when they"want to r00t my phone pleeeeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!11!!1"...

probably because most people don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about when they"want to r00t my phone pleeeeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!11!!1"...

hi

the question is:

Do I need to root my phone before I can apply "rooted" Rom?

I`m an windows IT guy but andorid os and doing fw updates on this Os is somthing more indept that normal windows IT may be familiar with therefore simple answer YES or NO would be appreciated.

Thanx m112

hi

the question is:

Do I need to root my phone before I can apply "rooted" Rom?

I`m an windows IT guy but andorid os and doing fw updates on this Os is somthing more indept that normal windows IT may be familiar with therefore simple answer YES or NO would be appreciated.

Thanx m112

no idea what you want to say, but the answer is NO.

Guest Marcony0
no idea what you want to say, but the answer is NO.

I think i know what he means.

Do we need to root before applying MoDaCo ROM?

I will tell you that I didn't root, i just applied the MoDaCo Rom and i had programs running that need Root access.

answer is, You do not need to root. Just apply MoDaCo Rom :)

Guest nforsans
I think i know what he means.

Do we need to root before applying MoDaCo ROM?

I will tell you that I didn't root, i just applied the MoDaCo Rom and i had programs running that need Root access.

answer is, You do not need to root. Just apply MoDaCo Rom :)

I too wonder why people make it so difficult - and thts precisely why there are so many posts asking how to root etc. If I had known that by installing MoDaCo rom this would root my phone automatically I wouldn't have spent so long going thru so many threads and methods (the one-click method, and i forgot the other ones) and I'd have had taken the plunge.

So if by installing MoDaCo rom my phone gets rooted automatically then thats great news.

But why on earth do people make it sound so complicated????

Guest pillock
So if by installing MoDaCo rom my phone gets rooted automatically then thats great news.

Because there's a lot of variables - the later RUU updates close a backdoor meaning you can't use a lot of the 'easy' methods, yet making a Goldcard is a waste of time for 90% of the people who haven't got the newest stock firmware.

There's guides out there, they take a little bit of reading but it's all useful information. It's just there isn't a one-click root button that works on every Hero, so there can't be a guide that just says "install this and click the button". On my handset (latest T-Mo UK firmware) it took the best part of four hours getting different files, getting goldcard images, having to start again when it failed to boot etc.

MCR is pre-rooted but you need a custom recovery image to install MCR in the first place, which is another source of variables and problems.

Guest Marcony0
Because there's a lot of variables - the later RUU updates close a backdoor meaning you can't use a lot of the 'easy' methods, yet making a Goldcard is a waste of time for 90% of the people who haven't got the newest stock firmware.

There's guides out there, they take a little bit of reading but it's all useful information. It's just there isn't a one-click root button that works on every Hero, so there can't be a guide that just says "install this and click the button". On my handset (latest T-Mo UK firmware) it took the best part of four hours getting different files, getting goldcard images, having to start again when it failed to boot etc.

MCR is pre-rooted but you need a custom recovery image to install MCR in the first place, which is another source of variables and problems.

so from what you are saying, i got lucky ? i simply followed the guide to apply MoDaCo rom and the recovery image,nothing else! So other people can have really hard time doing that all ?

I too wonder why people make it so difficult - and thts precisely why there are so many posts asking how to root etc. If I had known that by installing MoDaCo rom this would root my phone automatically I wouldn't have spent so long going thru so many threads and methods (the one-click method, and i forgot the other ones) and I'd have had taken the plunge.

actually it is not difficult. the problem is that most of the people asking "how to root" do most certainly not have a clue about the meaning of "being root". and the few that do know it don't get the difference between rooting a stock rom and installing a pre-rooted rom (respectively flashing a custom recovery image in order to install custom roms). i do admit that this wasn't obvious to me in the first place, but knowing my way around linux systems i was able to figure it out quickly. and i agree that this information in particular is not clearly advised in the obvious places. imho there is also the problem that there is a lot of outdated information between the up-to-date pieces, as there are a lot of threads about severel tricks how to root a rom, which are superseeded by the availability of custom recovery images and custom roms. this stuff confuses newbies more than necessary and leads to the type of questions asked right here...