program auto-close in wm6.5? disable samsung dialer

This has troubled me since first wm 6.5 version of O2. even if there is plenty of memory of 40MB+, the programs always close themselves on background.

in a desparate try, I disabled the samsung dialer, nothing else, and it seems solved the problem. now, even with memory down to 20MB, program still remains in background.

it seems that besides memory, there are other system resources that programs compete for. so, even if memory is enough, these resources could become limited and forcing program closure.

just my observations, and samsung's dialer does not really offer much more than wm 6.5 native dialer anyway.

Guest monyozt
This has troubled me since first wm 6.5 version of O2. even if there is plenty of memory of 40MB+, the programs always close themselves on background.

in a desparate try, I disabled the samsung dialer, nothing else, and it seems solved the problem. now, even with memory down to 20MB, program still remains in background.

it seems that besides memory, there are other system resources that programs compete for. so, even if memory is enough, these resources could become limited and forcing program closure.

just my observations, and samsung's dialer does not really offer much more than wm 6.5 native dialer anyway.

have you try enable X close button?

well, after a day of use, the program auto-closing comes back. disabling samsung dialer I think helps but is not the cause, just alleviates it.

I still believe that it is something else than memory that is the problem. since the first version of wm 6.5, I have had this problem of softkey menu in program could not pop up after sometime of usage of the system. it seems some graphics related system resource has been exhausted, while plenty of memory is still available. it might be some program I installed but all the programs I used, I have used for long time in a Diamond WM6.5 without any problem.

Guest ray1234
well, what I wanted was to keep program running in the background, not closing them

If you mean you never close your program after running them, then sooner or later you are going to run out of memory, no matter which pocketpc phone you are using. You simply cannot do that, not even on a desktop PC, imagine if you keep 100 programs running on a desktop PC, will you PC still perform as fast?

The problem most of us is facing is that programs close itself even though we only keep 2-3 programs running in background. Disabling the Samsung dialer helps because the Samsung dialer is a memory hog using up 10+ MB of memory, however you loses video call capability. Disabling the dialer will delay the problem, but it will not stop the problem, especially whenyou don't close your programs after use. When memory goes below 40MB, programs may start to close itself.

Edited by ray1234

Guest skoda60
well, what I wanted was to keep program running in the background, not closing them

This also on Omnia2 WM6.1. It had 20mb then 6.5. So now I can listen to my favorite story and answer to this post. When you are editing some doc if the memory reached 40+mb,better saved the doc and continue. Else in a sms came in it may closing your editing.

It's not problem only in 6.5, it also exists in 6.1 (but it won't happen so often like 6.5).

I hope samsung can solve this ASAP.... it make WM work like a single task OS, not a multiple task OS....

why we need to put the program in background? if we use a IM like MSN or Skype... we won't use it always in foreground, we just need to switch back when we got message or call.

but... i8000 will kill them in background sometimes... :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest iwana2109

In my view, PPC will manage minimum free memory..

if its too low it will be automatically closes opened application

so many background process will reduce max number application you can open.

try to uninstall / disable application that run in background to increase amount of application that PPC can keep running.

Edited by iwana2109