09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hello,

Currently I have a stock rom with root access and Amon recovery (nandroid backup) and Titanium backup. I know if I move to MCR 1.7 today, I will need a wipe. Would it beas simple as just downloading Titanium from android market and restoring everything from here on new ROM or anything else? Also does anyone know if people with MCR 1.7 don't have issues with google talk login/gmail sync issues like most of the android phones?

Thanks.

@Paul, and all at this wonderful community

Hi there,

Thanks for the great work on the ROM! I have, however, appear to have run into an issue with battery life in the latest release.

Ever since I installed the 1.7 MCR (release 9 Feb) over the previous MCR, my battery life has gone down dramatically. The phone used to be ok for 1.5 days including a fair amount of talk time, now the battery is completely drained at 10.30pm and that's with hardly any use!

I have turned off any background processes that I'm not using, any background data use that i can influence has been turned to the same settings as they always were (e.g. twitter stream to update every 2 hours, not 10 minutes) and yes, I did wipe before installing. GPS is off.

Anyone noticed the same problem, or have any suggestions how to fix this?

Or might it be the ROM?

thanks for your help!

Guest souljah777
@Paul, and all at this wonderful community

Hi there,

Thanks for the great work on the ROM! I have, however, appear to have run into an issue with battery life in the latest release.

Ever since I installed the 1.7 MCR (release 9 Feb) over the previous MCR, my battery life has gone down dramatically. The phone used to be ok for 1.5 days including a fair amount of talk time, now the battery is completely drained at 10.30pm and that's with hardly any use!

I have turned off any background processes that I'm not using, any background data use that i can influence has been turned to the same settings as they always were (e.g. twitter stream to update every 2 hours, not 10 minutes) and yes, I did wipe before installing. GPS is off.

Anyone noticed the same problem, or have any suggestions how to fix this?

Or might it be the ROM?

thanks for your help!

For me MCR 1.7 and the 1.8 Beta have meant better battery life generally. Have you tried using SetCPU from the Market to slow the CPU when the phone is in sleep mode. It extends your battery life considerably. I also use Timeriffic with APNDroid to turn off the data during the night to save battery.

For me MCR 1.7 and the 1.8 Beta have meant better battery life generally. Have you tried using SetCPU from the Market to slow the CPU when the phone is in sleep mode. It extends your battery life considerably. I also use Timeriffic with APNDroid to turn off the data during the night to save battery.

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely give SetCPU a try. When you say 'sleep mode', do you mean the state the phone's in when the screen is turned off?

Having said that, I'm still confused as to what caused the drop in battery life in the first place. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Guest Zsolabola

@ Paul !

First of thanks for this fantastic rom I love it

I'd like to have a question. Is there a limitation regarding the nuber or size of the messages in the SMS/MMS inbox ?

Today I've experienced a strange thing.

Usually I have about 50-60 sms / day . Today I had over 100 messages in the inbox I don't know the exact number, and then the receiving of messages stopped working.

I was able to send messages, but unable to receive messages.

I tried reseting the phone but didn't solved the problem.

Then I've erased some messages from the phone and it started working again.

Since I have that big sms traffic (because of my work) Im pretty sure that once before I had that much messages in the inbox but Im not sure if the problem occured at that time.

Could you please check this ?

Thanks a lot

Zsolabola

Guest Bendolfc

I have a conversation with ~ 4500 messages in it so if there is a limit, it's pretty high. I don't use the default messaging client though, I'm using handcent.

Guest Zsolabola
I have a conversation with ~ 4500 messages in it so if there is a limit, it's pretty high. I don't use the default messaging client though, I'm using handcent.

Thanks for the reply

I use the original client, not handcent

I'm qutie sure that it wasn't a network problem since i work for my provider as a tech guy :(

Edited by Zsolabola

Guest meinnit

Doesn't the clock speed auto lower when you sleep? I tried this whilst connected with ADB and noticed that it does cut the clock speed when in sleep mode. Try 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' I think

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely give SetCPU a try. When you say 'sleep mode', do you mean the state the phone's in when the screen is turned off?

Having said that, I'm still confused as to what caused the drop in battery life in the first place. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Have you tried disabling Settings -> Data Synchronisation -> Background Data? This was a real battery killer for me. Try it for a day or two and see how you get on.

Guest h3dshot
Thanks for the reply

I use the original client, not handcent

I'm qutie sure that it wasn't a network problem since i work for my provider as a tech guy :(

yeah i used to use the standard messaging app, you should use handcent its much better, free and customizable:)

free advertising lol ;D

Firstly thank you Paul for the ROM. I used both of the 1.7 roms and stopped on Vanilla because I feel like it's faster and more stable, but that could be just me. i have three questions though:

1. Today I've got a strange issue with dialer on Vanila rom - it would stop responding, just showing a black screen. I wouldnt remember it but it happened three times within two hours. The resolution of this issue would be reboot. I dont know if there are any other ways to sort this out since reboot takes a few minutes and I would like to fix it quicker. However, I just wanted to know if there are any other people who had experienced the same issue. I suspect that this could happen because I tried to install certain program but then I dont know which one exactly.

2. Another thing - my rom, downloaded from this forum, doesnt have a trace of Jbed Java, the other one "stock" did have java but not vanilla for some reason, what is wrong?

3. Also I can see there is an update rom Huaweidevice.com and Paul have given a link to this update in rooted form, the question to Paul and others who tested it - is that rom worthy of trying instead for v1.7 Vanilla? Any significant improvement/drawback in there?

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Guest Zsolabola
yeah i used to use the standard messaging app, you should use handcent its much better, free and customizable:)

free advertising lol ;D

Thanks I'll try that :(

Guest Zsolabola
Also consider ChompSMS.

Thanks I tried that, and I don't like it

I thought that the messaging engine is the same regardless the used messaging client, and handcent, and chomp sms is only a different GUI to that engine.

Now I use handcent :(

Great work on this ROM, I finally got around to trying it, and it's a huge improvement over the stock TMobile one - much faster and more responsive.

Only problems I've had relate to the titanium backup that's included with it - I ran an SMS backup (then copied that to my PC) then did a factory reset and repartition, and found that titanium wasn't installed anymore. On restoring the backup directoy to the SD card and installing titanium from the market, I can't restore my SMS history (ie it appears as a backup, but when I restore it, nothing comes back.)

Probably operator error, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has this issue.

Anyway, great work - thanks!

Edited by Stevos

Guest starkos
Great work on this ROM, I finally got around to trying it, and it's a huge improvement over the stock TMobile one - much faster and more responsive.

Only problems I've had relate to the titanium backup that's included with it - I ran an SMS backup (then copied that to my PC) then did a factory reset and repartition, and found that titanium wasn't installed anymore. On restoring the backup directoy to the SD card and installing titanium from the market, I can't restore my SMS history (ie it appears as a backup, but when I restore it, nothing comes back.)

Probably operator error, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has this issue.

Anyway, great work - thanks!

You probably have already but just incase, I think you need to restart the phone before sms/mms messages show that are restored using Titanium

You probably have already but just incase, I think you need to restart the phone before sms/mms messages show that are restored using Titanium

Oh... haha. :( um yes that seems to have fixed it. Thanks for that, or I would have been very confused when I rebooted it in a week or so and suddenly all my lost messages turned up... That's probably in the instructions somewhere I should have read.

Any thoughts about the titanium backup software being wiped when doing a factory reset? I thought it was a part of the ROM on this system now, but seem to have had to reinstall it from the market. I'm wondering if that leaves some part of the old backup software lingering somewhere ready to cause problems at some stage.

thanks,

Guest starkos
Oh... haha. :( um yes that seems to have fixed it. Thanks for that, or I would have been very confused when I rebooted it in a week or so and suddenly all my lost messages turned up... That's probably in the instructions somewhere I should have read.

Any thoughts about the titanium backup software being wiped when doing a factory reset? I thought it was a part of the ROM on this system now, but seem to have had to reinstall it from the market. I'm wondering if that leaves some part of the old backup software lingering somewhere ready to cause problems at some stage.

thanks,

Haha glad you got it working... I think Titanium is put in /Data when flashing a Rom, which should mean it goes on to your ext. partition if you have created an ext. partition prior to flashing the rom. Therefore when you re-partitioned/formatted your SD card you probably lost all apps you had installed since flashing the rom including Titanium?

By the way, why did you wipe the phone & partition your sd card after flashing the rom?

Haha glad you got it working... I think Titanium is put in /Data when flashing a Rom, which should mean it goes on to your ext. partition if you have created an ext. partition prior to flashing the rom. Therefore when you re-partitioned/formatted your SD card you probably lost all apps you had installed since flashing the rom including Titanium?

Ah that makes sense, I had one big 8gig partition from using it before the ROM flash.

By the way, why did you wipe the phone & partition your sd card after flashing the rom?

Essentially I am an eejit.

I wanted to make sure I didn't have any trace of old apps knocking around on the card or the phone, and change the partitioning and I did it all a bit backwards.

Anyway, all's well that ends well - thanks for the pointers :(

Guest Mike Mc

OK I have a serious problem after attempting to mod my Pulse. I uploaded the recovery image, powered off and back on again, and now the phone just keeps on rebooting. It gets to the T-Mobile flash screen, with the spinning pink wheel underneath, the wheel spins for a little while, then the phone buzzes/vibrates and reboots itself. it just keeps on doing this over and over.

Please help !!!

Guest reedy101

mike i also had this issue first time round. all i did was to install the december update back onto memory card. then you can boot phone into upgrade mode but i cant remember for the life of me how to do this but im sure someone will and ill have a look around quick too see of i can find it. just wanted to post quick so you dont panic as i did.

mike i also had this issue first time round. all i did was to install the december update back onto memory card. then you can boot phone into upgrade mode but i cant remember for the life of me how to do this but im sure someone will and ill have a look around quick too see of i can find it. just wanted to post quick so you dont panic as i did.

how to get into recovery with the dec upd installed: hold menu+red keys while turning on the phone.

OK I have a serious problem after attempting to mod my Pulse. I uploaded the recovery image, powered off and back on again, and now the phone just keeps on rebooting. It gets to the T-Mobile flash screen, with the spinning pink wheel underneath, the wheel spins for a little while, then the phone buzzes/vibrates and reboots itself. it just keeps on doing this over and over.

Please help !!!

what exactly did you do? flashing the recovery shouldn't break your phone like that.

Since this is my first post I guess I should say hi, so; Hi everyone!

I wouldalso just like to thank you all for making this community alive. I've seen a lot of the work that's gong on here in the forums, and with such a lively community one cannot stop becoming amazed. So thank you all, I just bought my U8220, and I've had much fun with it already, much thanks to this site!

Also a big thanks to Paul for making this rom, seriously, the kind of dedication that you've put into this project is just stunning!

Now, to my problem:

I've tried to flash my Huawei U8220 by following the instructions. I managed to flash it but I kept getting the same problem, the touchscreen stopped working. It didn't matter how much I wiped everything or so, the only solution was to roll back to the unmodded firmware that came with it. I also tried your superboot, becuase I thought, if I can't install this rom, well at least I could root my phone. It turned out this also broke the touchscreen.

This got me thinking, since I have a pretty odd (or well, special) version of this phone, perhaps it is something software or perhaps even hardware wise that differs from the T-mobile pulse. At the moment it's completely unbranded (except that it's locked) and it's sold by 3 in Sweden, might it be that the rom is not working with the unbranded Huawei firmware?

To help a bit on the way to a solution, here's a bit of information:

Build date according to fastboot: Jan 14 2010 00:29:59 (Note that I used the post-december roms because of this)

Build number: U8220V100R001C125B249SP01

Maybe it's just me being dumb, and doing something foolishly wrong. Perhaps something embarrassing like missing out on a part of the guide or so. However, I've wen't through it several times and gone through all steps as thorough as I can. If I've missed something obvious, I'm sorry of course. But hey, I need to start out as a noob here as well :(.

If you need anything else from me to help to get to the bottom of this problem, just ask!

To help a bit on the way to a solution, here's a bit of information:

Build date according to fastboot: Jan 14 2010 00:29:59 (Note that I used the post-december roms because of this)

Build number: U8220V100R001C125B249SP01

the solution is to flash your original boot.img after installing the custom rom.

you won't have root, however, and won't be able to use apps2sd or swapcache.

to get root, read the RBM2 and CHT8000 threads.