09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

A new bug!?

I can not install any apps anymore. It worked when I installed all my apps a.fter I flashed the new rom, but not today. A reboot is no solution :-(

Anyone has got the same problems?

Have you tried wiping? It seems to fix most of mankind's problems.

Guest martinbrook
A new bug!?

I can not install any apps anymore. It worked when I installed all my apps a.fter I flashed the new rom, but not today. A reboot is no solution :-(

No, I have not wiped my fon and it is not really a solution for me, because I don't want to reset and setup my device every week.

Edit:

@martinbrook: ???

Edited by 205er

Guest martinbrook
A new bug!?

Can you try repairing the ext2 partition from recovery.

A new bug!?

I had the same problem...first with the previous 1.3 rom and ubuntu installed, I thought the mount required for the chroot was causing problems because if i chrooted into ubuntu and exited it started to work...

but yesterday with the new 8230 rom I got an installation error again...this was after installing some apps a few hours earlier on a different wifi AP...I did a hard-reset but I think what fixed it in the end was simply connecting to localhost with connectbot and maybe entering su...

I know its not much info but those 'detailed' "INSTALLATION ERROR" messages really don't help much...I was about to fire up logcat but the shell prompt fixed it for some mysterious reason.

When i try to use PC Suite ive had problem. Pc Suite recognises the phone but its limited in options i cant import , export contacs etc . the only option is just syncronise . When i instal mcr 1.3 its fine , pc suite works , i hope someone will repair this bug

I don't have this problem...sure pcsuite gives an error that the phone isn't supported (just like with 1.3) but then I can bring up the phonebook without a problem...I exported my contacts in 1.3 and imported them into 8230:1.0 without problems (except that firstname,lastname are merged into one and nickname disappeared).

Guest bounty123

Most of the time installation errors can be solved by doing an Ext2 repair from the recovery menu.

This frequent need for ext2 repair is the only big downside of the a2sd feature, for me.

Edited by bounty123

Guest xarxiusxiii
Most of the time installation errors can be solved by doing an Ext2 repair from the recovery menu.

This frequent need for ext2 repair is the only big downside of the a2sd feature, for me.

Same here, does anybody know why I need to repair the ext2 partition every time I reboot? And of any way to prevent this? Or would this problem go when ext3 / 4 are supported?

Same here ordered a cat 6 miro sd card to hopeful stop that?? Anyone know if this will fix the issue should of asked first?

Guest Nikki Locke

Looks like I blew it. I just bought a new 8GB sdcard (type 4, not type 6 - was that a bad idea?)

I went into recovery, and chose the fat32+ext2+swap option.

Then I chose convert ext2 to ext3 (I hadn't realised there was no ext3 support in the kernel yet).

Finally I mounted the sdcard, and copied all my data back to it.

I rebooted the phone. I got a couple of "Process android.process.acore is not responding" errors in android, but forced close and pressed on.

If I go into Settings/SD card & phone storage, there is no information on the sdcard.

Also, if I plug in USB, I get no option to make the sdcard available over USB.

If I go into a root shell, and do mount, I get:

# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

tmpfs on /sqlite_stmt_journals type tmpfs (rw,size=4096k)

/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)

/dev/block/mtdblock2 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

# ls /dev/block/mmc*

/dev/block/mmcblk0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

# mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard -t vfat

works, though.

I then installed the ext3-capable kernel (see http://android.modaco.com/content-page/295...0/#entry1123202 ) and rebooted:

Mount now says:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

which is nice - but still no auto-mounting of the sdcard.

What should I do now?

Edited by Nikki Locke

I went into recovery, and chose the fat32+ext2+swap option.

Well there's your problem. The current kernel doesn't support a swap partition. Repartition your card without it and you should be fine.

Guest Nikki Locke
Sounds like your FAT partition needs re-formatting?

I can write stuff to it, both from Windows (when mounted from recovery boot), and from shell prompt (if I mount it by hand). Does that change your diagnosis?

If I wanted to format it, how? Settings, sd card, format is inactive.

Guest Nikki Locke
Well there's your problem. The current kernel doesn't support a swap partition. Repartition your card without it and you should be fine.

Would it be enough to delete the swap partition with parted (leaving the space unused)?

(Later) I tried that, and it worked. Hooray!

Edited by Nikki Locke

Guest Shuflie

Been looking to get Paul's ROM working complete with A2SD but I want to make sure I get everything done in the right order before flashing the new ROM. I've Rooted the phone and installed the recovery image without any bother (even made a nandroid backup on the 2G SD card that came with the phone).

Next step I'm attempting is to get a 6G SD card I've had for ages partitioned properly. Using gparted in Ubuntu I've managed to create a 4.5G fat32 partition and a 1G ext2 partition. When I unmount these and put them back into the phone it complains that it is a damaged SD card. Is this normally what happens with the stock t-mobile ROM or am I missing something?

EDIT: Decided to just go ahead and install the custom ROM anyway and it all seemed to work out ok, the SD card is not being reported as damaged any more. I don't seem to be installing to the SD card though as the main memory is decreasing when i install programs. I'll read back a bit and see where I've gone wrong.

EDIT2: Memory decreasing is probably either a bug in the in the way the totals are kept or something else is using it up. I installed the the SDK to get ADB access and apps and apps-private folders in /data are symlinks to the sd card so I probably am good to go. Even installed the custom kernel with ext3/4 support and converted to ext3 so I should hopefully have a more robust filesystem with less "unable to install" errors too. :D

Edited by Shuflie

Guest screwface
Once EXT3/4 support is in the custom kernel, problem solved! :D

(this week)

;)

P

:( would be awesome if EXT4 was added before my phone even arrived *grumbles at t mobile*

Guest Nikki Locke

The saga continues...

I now have this ROM installed, but with the ext3 kernel from http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1123202

I have 2 partitions on the sdcard - a large vfat, and a 512MB ext3 (and some spare space from when I deleted the swap partition).

I cannot install any new apps (they download OK, but I get "install unsuccessful").

I have rebooted to recovery, and run repair ext filesystem and fix package uid mismatches.

What to try next?

Should I wipe the phone and start again?

If I put back my 2GB sdcard (with only the fat partition), will the boot process still try to mount a (now nonexistent) ext partition? If not, and I copy the backup I took of the ext3 partition back to /system/sd, will everything work again?

I think it is time I learned how the android boot process works (specially in reference to the new ROM) - if I unzip the ROM update file, I guess the boot scripts are in there somewhere?

Nikki

[Later] - I ran repair and fix uid again, and I can now install again. But, on the reboot after the repair/fix, I got "Process android.process.acore is not responding" again. Mysterious!

I thought about deleting this whole post, as I solved the initial problem, but I reckon the more information there is for others trying to do the same thing, the better.

Let me know if you would prefer my trials and tribulations to be in another thread, or deleted, or maybe not posted at all.

Edited by Nikki Locke

Guest martinbrook

Here is the output from mount on my phone.

martin@ubuntu:~/pulse/mydroid$ adb shell

# mount

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_ut

me=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8)

The saga continues...

I now have this ROM installed, but with the ext3 kernel from http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1123202

I have 2 partitions on the sdcard - a large vfat, and a 512MB ext3 (and some spare space from when I deleted the swap partition).

I cannot install any new apps (they download OK, but I get "install unsuccessful").

I have rebooted to recovery, and run repair ext filesystem and fix package uid mismatches.

What to try next?

Should I wipe the phone and start again?

If I put back my 2GB sdcard (with only the fat partition), will the boot process still try to mount a (now nonexistent) ext partition? If not, and I copy the backup I took of the ext3 partition back to /system/sd, will everything work again?

I think it is time I learned how the android boot process works (specially in reference to the new ROM) - if I unzip the ROM update file, I guess the boot scripts are in there somewhere?

Nikki

[Later] - I ran repair and fix uid again, and I can now install again. But, on the reboot after the repair/fix, I got "Process android.process.acore is not responding" again. Mysterious!

I thought about deleting this whole post, as I solved the initial problem, but I reckon the more information there is for others trying to do the same thing, the better.

Let me know if you would prefer my trials and tribulations to be in another thread, or deleted, or maybe not posted at all.

Here is the output from mount on my phone.

martin@ubuntu:~/pulse/mydroid$ adb shell

# mount

/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_ut

I have very similar isues as Nicki, I try MCR 1.3 and an ext2 partition on SDCARD. Most installed applications start

but give an error message, but not all. I cannot install from marketplace or an APK file from SD card.

When I click on appstosd, it claims that something went wrong and I should refer to a tutorial at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512743

My mounts are as follows (very similar to Martin, except for ext2 vs ext3:

# mount

mount

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

For me it's the first time to try appstosd, I have used MCR1.2 without issues. I am going to repartition my SD-card once more. i first want this to work before moving to new kernel and ext3.

Edited by rss2k