Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest scollie
Hi,

Thanks for your report ! I have noted that on Acer devices, the wi-fi access points are in /data/misc/wifi/wpa.conf

Will try to fix it in the next version (sorry, not for 2.9.3 yet).

Thanks again !

Hi Keramidas

I think I have a similar problem with my Samsung Galaxy - when I verify my backups everything is ok apart from 1 error as follows

WiFi Access Points

Error with DATA backup

When I look in /data/misc/wifi the .conf file is called bcm_supp.conf. Is this why I get this error?

On another topic, I have CardioTrainer installed and when I backup, this always took a few minutes to backup.

Today it was updataed to 2.2.0 and when doing a batch backup it seemed to get stuck on CardioTrainer so I interrupted it, backed up all other applications and then tried backing up Cardio on its own.

It eventually finished the backup but took 7 minutes to do so.

I was used to TitaniumBackup being fast so I'm puzzled why this app always takes so long. Any ideas?

If you need any log from me, please let me know.

Cheers

Stan

Guest Keramidas
hi keramidas... your app saved me lots of trouble, rom by rom... :)

is there a way to add a single button backup of user profile? like, scenes/wallpaper/ringtone/lang/date,time/sms/call logs... like all the small stuff you can do service by service.

thanks

Hi,

I will try to add some easy shortcuts for this kind of things in the future. I know the user interface is still a bit unpolished, but I've only been focusing on features and stability so far ;)

Guest Keramidas

Hi Scollie,

Thanks for the information about the Samsung Galaxy. Yes I will try to handle the "bcm_supp.conf" file properly. Indeed if the backup fails to verify, it is certainly for this reason.

About Cardio Trainer: This slowness with that specific app seems indeed very strange and unexpected - unless you're using bzip2 compression which can be slow. Could you send me your backup of Cardio Trainer by e-mail ?

Thanks !

Guest Stewart T

Donated yesterday :)

Can you add making custom batches? For example I don't want to backup all the system data and when I go to make a backup I have to go through and un-tick everything I don't want to backup every time. I only really want to backup bookmarks, sms/mms, wifi and apn settings and all my apps.

Is this possible to be able to create and save custom batch settings? And also read custom backups settings off the SD card for when you have just installed a fresh new rom?

Just an idea ;)

Thanks

Guest Catscrash

any news on the sms 1.5->2.1 conversion script? do you still need any information about one of the databases?

sms backup & restore works, but would be nicer to have it all in titanium :-)

Can you add making custom batches? For example I don't want to backup all the system data and when I go to make a backup I have to go through and un-tick everything I don't want to backup every time.

Just wanted to add my vote to your idea. I've never had to restore a backup yet, but when you do, the above becomes all the more useful when restoring to a different OS version where some app data might not be compatible. Hmm, does TB keep track of which version of Android the backups are from? It'd be cool if when restoring backups to a newer Android version where specific compatibility issues are known if it warned & allowed skipping of restoration of those parts.

BTW Have to agree with many others who have said TB is the most essential Android app there is :)

Guest Keramidas
any news on the sms 1.5->2.1 conversion script? do you still need any information about one of the databases?

sms backup & restore works, but would be nicer to have it all in titanium :-)

Hi,

I could add a special feature to do this in Titanium Backup:

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER DEFAULT -1;

UPDATE sms SET index_on_sim = '-1' WHERE service_center IS NOT NULL;

My question: is that enough to go from 1.5 to 2.1 ?

(of course, I would also offer the opposite transformation to go from 2.1 to 1.5).

Thanks !

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
Just wanted to add my vote to your idea. I've never had to restore a backup yet, but when you do, the above becomes all the more useful when restoring to a different OS version where some app data might not be compatible. Hmm, does TB keep track of which version of Android the backups are from? It'd be cool if when restoring backups to a newer Android version where specific compatibility issues are known if it warned & allowed skipping of restoration of those parts.

BTW Have to agree with many others who have said TB is the most essential Android app there is :)

Hi !

Yes, I'm thinking of tagging backups with the ROM version from which they were done.

Would that be okay ?

getprop ro.product.model => HTC Hero

getprop ro.build.version.release => 1.5

getprop ro.build.description => MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.2 Core, SSH password: xxxxxx

Some questions:

1) should I include these ROM properties into every backup ?

2) do you know other interesting ROM properties that I should add ?

3) I don't want to copy the SSH password into every backup ! Should I filter it out ?

Thanks !

Yes, I'm thinking of tagging backups with the ROM version from which they were done.

Would that be okay ?

getprop ro.product.model => HTC Hero

getprop ro.build.version.release => 1.5

getprop ro.build.description => MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.2 Core, SSH password: xxxxxx

Some questions:

1) should I include these ROM properties into every backup ?

2) do you know other interesting ROM properties that I should add ?

3) I don't want to copy the SSH password into every backup ! Should I filter it out ?

Sounds good to me.

1. I can't think of any reason not to, but atm I'm a only a User & I suspect...
  2. Devs might be best able to answer this. What info on the environment could subsequently help with restoration? Obviously the release version is handy but tbh I can't see what info could be needed that couldn't be derived from the build description & you've included both those above.
  3. Yeah, that sounds sensible.
As an aside, I've only had cause to chat with a few Android developers in my one month with an Android device but I have to say, there does seem to be an uncommonly friendly & supportive atmosphere. Thank you for being another consistent data point :) Edited by zorm

Guest Keramidas
Sounds good to me.
  1. I can't think of any reason not to, but atm I'm a only a User & I suspect...
  2. Devs might be best able to answer this. What info on the environment could subsequently help with restoration? Obviously the release version is handy but tbh I can't see what info could be needed that couldn't be derived from the build description & you've included both those above.
  3. Yeah, that sounds sensible.
As an aside, I've only had cause to chat with a few Android developers in my one month with an Android device but I have to say, there does seem to be an uncommonly friendly & supportive atmosphere. Thank you for being another consistent data point :P

Thanks for your kind response ;)

I think we can say the same about Android users vs iPhone users. Although it's converging a tiny bit, the population is not exactly the same in both. I hope not to start a flamewar for criticizing iPhone users :)

The backup tagging will probably be added to the next version - even if it probably won't add much functionality at first, I think tagging everyone's backup will be good for the future.

Guest 5Strogino

Hi again)

Keramidas, as i understood, TB will not work if Superuser Permissions doesn't work properly?

I have HTC Tattoo with rooted boot.img (contain su; system and data are read-write)

I manually add Superuser.apk to /system/app/ . It is in app list and can be executed.

I tried AdFree. It works, but did not show request to Superuser Permissions

TB did not show request too. I downloaded and installed busybox through TB.

When i execute TB now, i receive:

"Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root: "whoami" reports "whoami: unknown uid 10060" instead of uid 0. I think your "Superuser Whitelist" system app does not work/ Please check with your ROM provider."

How to fix Superuser? May be i need some run chown, chmod commands?

Guest Keramidas
Hi again)

Keramidas, as i understood, TB will not work if Superuser Permissions doesn't work properly?

I have HTC Tattoo with rooted boot.img (contain su; system and data are read-write)

I manually add Superuser.apk to /system/app/ . It is in app list and can be executed.

I tried AdFree. It works, but did not show request to Superuser Permissions

TB did not show request too. I downloaded and installed busybox through TB.

When i execute TB now, i receive:

"Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root: "whoami" reports "whoami: unknown uid 10060" instead of uid 0. I think your "Superuser Whitelist" system app does not work/ Please check with your ROM provider."

How to fix Superuser? May be i need some run chown, chmod commands?

Hi,

I think programs such as AdFree do not check for root priviledges like I do, and they are (probably) not working either, because at uid 10060 you really can't remount /system read-write and the like...

I'm sorry I can't give you a magic solution for this problem, except for trying other versions of "su" and/or "Superuser.apk".

Have a look there:

http://androidforums.com/android-applicati...html#post395324

(these are links listed at the bottom of my web page, so I hope you didn't try those yet).

Please let me/us know how you resolve it !

Thanks

Guest 5Strogino
Hi,

I think programs such as AdFree do not check for root priviledges like I do, and they are (probably) not working either, because at uid 10060 you really can't remount /system read-write and the like...

I'm sorry I can't give you a magic solution for this problem, except for trying other versions of "su" and/or "Superuser.apk".

Have a look there:

http://androidforums.com/android-applicati...html#post395324

(these are links listed at the bottom of my web page, so I hope you didn't try those yet).

Please let me/us know how you resolve it !

Thanks

I investigated the problem and solved it partially.

According info from your link, i tried copy su-binary (from Modaco Custom Rom for Tattoo)

to /system/bin/su

and execute

chmod 4577 /system/bin/su

after restart everything worked fine... Superuser permissions shows requests and TB shows full list of applications

I notice only, that su-binary from Modaco is about 34 kb, but su-binary from guide of getting root is about 80-85 kb.

I think, bigger su-binary needed to execute "flash_image" command. But it's another story... =)

Thank you very much, your app works great)

Guest Keramidas
I investigated the problem and solved it partially.

According info from your link, i tried copy su-binary (from Modaco Custom Rom for Tattoo)

to /system/bin/su

and execute

chmod 4577 /system/bin/su

after restart everything worked fine... Superuser permissions shows requests and TB shows full list of applications

I notice only, that su-binary from Modaco is about 34 kb, but su-binary from guide of getting root is about 80-85 kb.

I think, bigger su-binary needed to execute "flash_image" command. But it's another story... =)

Thank you very much, your app works great)

Thanks for the update ! It's good to know that the "su" executable (and/or its permissions) was indeed the problem.

Glad that it works for you now :P

Guest apelly

Hero running VillainROM 5.02: CDMA Hero 2.1 Port for GSM HERO - BETA

Having issues since registration:

I/ActivityManager(  113): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup
/.MainActivity }
W/System.err( 4223): ERROR: Could not open license file: /data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/license.txt
D/su ( 4242): 10054:10054 com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup executing 0:0 /system/bin/sh
I/ActivityManager( 113): Displayed activity com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/.MainActivity: 2356 ms (total 2356 ms)
D/su ( 4247): 10054:10054 com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup executing 0:0 /system/bin/sh
D/su ( 4252): 10054:10054 com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup executing 0:0 /system/bin/sh
D/su ( 4255): 10054:10054 com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup executing 0:0 /system/bin/sh
D/su ( 4259): 10054:10054 com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup executing 0:0 /system/bin/sh
W/dalvikvm( 4223): threadid=15: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001e390)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): Uncaught handler: thread Thread-8 exiting due to uncaught exception
E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): at com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.MainActivity.getMachineInfo(MainActivity.java:1422)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): at com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.MainActivity.buildStatusText(MainActivity.java:1158

E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): at com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.MainActivity.access$000(MainActivity.java:53)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4223): at com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.MainActivity$1$4.run(MainActivity.java:394)
I/Process ( 113): Sending signal. PID: 4223 SIG: 3
I/dalvikvm( 4223): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3
D/CIQ ( 113): throwUI03
D/CIQ ( 113): processName com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup
W/ActivityManager( 113): Unable to start service Intent { act=com.htc.android.iqagent.action.ui03 (has extras) }: not found
I/dalvikvm( 4223): Wrote stack trace to '/data/anr/traces.txt'[/codebox]

I've re-installed it but no joy. Was working fine before I showed it the registration data. Any thoughts?

Guest 5Strogino

I have same forceclose.

Even i've created license.txt and put into TB data-folder - same forceclose.

I've tested some versions - 2.9.2 and lower versions works.

Guest Keramidas
I have same forceclose.

Even i've created license.txt and put into TB data-folder - same forceclose.

I've tested some versions - 2.9.2 and lower versions works.

Hi 5Strogino, apelly,

Thanks for the reports.

The "license file" warning is simply because my app crashes before it can copy your license file from the SD card.

The problem (crash) itself is not related to the license file, but with /system/bin/getprop which is missing in the "Villain 5.02" ROM. The usage of "getprop" command was added recently, to detect the ROM version, phone name, phone serial number, and tag your backups with that information (even in the Free version). This will be useful for future versions, where I could add backup filtering features "by ROM name", and/or optional warnings when restoring system files across different ROMs.

I will fix the crash when "getprop" is missing from the ROM, but it will mean that on "Villain 5.02" ROMs, your backups will not be tagged with the ROM version when you create them. The workaround is to add /system/bin/getprop to this ROM manually. If you do that, please report success (or failure) here :P

Thanks !

Edit: This bug is fixed in Titanium Backup 2.9.7.1.

Edited by Keramidas

Guest apelly
The workaround is to add /system/bin/getprop to this ROM manually. If you do that, please report success (or failure) here

Success. Thanks mate.

Guest Keramidas
what does "freezing" an app do?

When you "freeze" an app, it remains installed (with its data intact), but is otherwise completely disabled and invisible from the app tray. Any services/widgets associated to the app will be disabled as well. When you "defrost" that app, everything will be back as normal.

It can be a useful feature for hiding apps, or troubleshooting a problem (ie: trying the phone "without" that app, in order to see if the problem disappears).

Does that answer your question ?

Guest Qiuness
sure does. interesting feature. thanks.

I was wondering if it is possible to make a quick interface to allow the backup of:

- SMS

- MMS

- Call Log

- Alarms

- Custom Dict

- Contacts

- Calendars

I mean they may be present in the system apps backup section, but they are named weird and you are not sure what you are backing up. This is why i need to also use mybackuppro which i would like to ditch.

Let me know if that is possible

Guest Keramidas
I was wondering if it is possible to make a quick interface to allow the backup of:

- SMS

- MMS

- Call Log

- Alarms

- Custom Dict

- Contacts

- Calendars

I mean they may be present in the system apps backup section, but they are named weird and you are not sure what you are backing up. This is why i need to also use mybackuppro which i would like to ditch.

Let me know if that is possible

Hi,

Yes, I know (and I agree) that I need to improve the GUI and add "easy access" buttons for these things.

For the moment you can backup (these are green-colored system items):

- SMS+MMS at once,

- Contacts + call log at once,

- Custom dict (either HTC or Android)

- Calendars

For the alarms: to be sincere, I haven't looked at them - but they are possibly stored in [sETTINGS]. Would need to verify this.

Guest Keramidas
Q: Does "freezing" apps free space from phone memory?

No, it doesn't. The frozen app's data remains on the phone, it's just that the app gets completely disabled until you defrost it again.

Thanks, It will add this to the FAQ on the web page !