Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest Keramidas
I have another question : is it correct that essential data to Backup is in "Interesting system service" in green (Bookmark, Call history, Desktop preference etc.)?

It's possible to filter only this information ?

Yes, that is correct. The green elements should cover the most important data. Most standard and HTC-specific things should be green. But of course, some other ROMs might store other interesting things in other places, that I don't display as green. For this reason, I recommend to backup everything (you can use the Batch function) and then you are free to restore what you need, when you need it.

No sorry, it is not possible to filter the display yet, but it is planned and shall come soon !

Guest Keramidas

Oh, one more thing: although Titanium Backup is indeed capable of backing up any internal data (including SMS/MMS) it may not always be the best tool for messages.

If you upgrade your stock ROM to a recent MoDaCo ROM, in the new ROM the SMS/MMS database format differs a bit (they added one column to a table) so if you restore your old backup with Titanium, the database will remain in the older format so the new apps can't access the database until you add that column manually with SQLite3. On the other hand, with a more traditional backup tool (like the trial version of MyBackup Pro) you won't see it, because you'll start with an empty database in the new format, and instead of overwriting the whole DB, the backup tool uses the Android API to add messages one by one.

In the future I'll probably add a more conservative backup method for some databases (ie: the SMS/MMS DB) or add a specific "upgrade SMS/MMS database" feature to add this column automatically.

Edited by Keramidas

Many thanks man ! :)

Hoping it works great for you.

Yes *applause*, but when I updated to newer version (2.3.4 -> 2.3.5), this one did not care about the license file and is still a donate app.

I wait for this to be fixed before I do the Ti backup, and do the update to 3.2.3 from the kitchen.

Nice work!

/Rune

Guest Keramidas
Yes *applause*, but when I updated to newer version (2.3.4 -> 2.3.5), this one did not care about the license file and is still a donate app.

I wait for this to be fixed before I do the Ti backup, and do the update to 3.2.3 from the kitchen.

Nice work!

/Rune

Hi runeo,

I don't know how you upgraded to 2.3.5, but it should definitely detect your license ! Please ensure that your "TitaniumBackup_license.txt" is in the root directory of your sd card, then uninstall and reinstall Titanium from the Market. Then start it and it *must* work ! Then, if you want, delete the key file from the sd card (but keep it on a computer, just in case).

Edited by Keramidas

Hi runeo,

I don't know how you upgraded to 2.3.5, but it should definitely detect your license ! Please ensure that your "TitaniumBackup_license.txt" is in the root directory of your sd card, then uninstall and reinstall Titanium from the Market. Then start it and it *must* work ! Then, if you want, delete the key file from the sd card (but keep it on a computer, just in case).

Tested "Check for updates", saw that there was an new updated and installed it. The app said that it would update the TiBa but preserve user data. When i later started TiBa it was a "Donate app" again.

Did uninstall from market app and then installed it again and "Tada", problem solved.

Superb service! Lesson learned. :)

/Rune

Guest masterpfa

Hi keramidas I'm always checking here to see what's new, I noticed a lot of questions about the same thing and I was going to suggest maybe a guide on your page for all users of your app with screen shots, just a suggestion.

P.S. My bank charges me a handling fee when I pay for apps in a currency other than pounds Sterling, is there anyway I can contribute so that:

1. I can get the paid/donate version

2. ensure all the funds go to you and not in handling fees

Many thanks

:)

Guest Keramidas
Hi keramidas I'm always checking here to see what's new, I noticed a lot of questions about the same thing and I was going to suggest maybe a guide on your page for all users of your app with screen shots, just a suggestion.

P.S. My bank charges me a handling fee when I pay for apps in a currency other than pounds Sterling, is there anyway I can contribute so that:

1. I can get the paid/donate version

2. ensure all the funds go to you and not in handling fees

Many thanks

:)

Hi masterpfa,

Thanks for your suggestion ! Yes, I will probably make a small webpage for Titanium Backup with screenshots, a short "Howto" guide and donation info :)

I'm glad you like my app ! So about donating:

- you haven't mentioned PayPal but it is probably the easiest way, since it enables anyone who has a credit card to send money to individual who (like me) can't do merchant-side credit card processing.

- publishing a paid app would be another way to accept credit card payments (through Google checkout) but unfortunately, publishing a paid app from Switzerland is not possible yet.

- if you want to try a wire (bank) transfer and you have low fees for your currency, then please try donating with your own currency. If you can choose whether the fees are to you or to the recipient, try to select "fees for the sender" and you should see how much you'd pay total, for donating the exact amount you want :) You can PM me for my IBAN and don't worry: even if it goes wrong and I receive $0.01 :) , I'll give you the Donate version anyway :)

General question for everyone: Does anyone other/better ideas on what payment methods donators could use ?

Thanks !

I'm just trying the new 2.1 ROM from jnwhiteh...

I installed titanium from the market, and try to restore some of the apps taht I previously backed up...

but it always says: "Errore durante l'analisi dei pacchetti" (Error in the packet analysis)...

I tried also to make a backup of a new application and to restore it, but it give the same error...

do you have any idea?

thx

Guest Keramidas

Hi carpao,

If you first backed up these apps using an old version of Titanium Backup, which didn't check for LZO support in your busybox/ROM, you might have zero-size *.apk.lzo files in your backup directory. These files will not be removed unless the backed up application has a new version, or you delete the backup for that app.

Do you have this problem if you delete the backup for an app first, and then backup and restore it ?

Thanks

Hi carpao,

If you first backed up these apps using an old version of Titanium Backup, which didn't check for LZO support in your busybox/ROM, you might have zero-size *.apk.lzo files in your backup directory. These files will not be removed unless the backed up application has a new version, or you delete the backup for that app.

Do you have this problem if you delete the backup for an app first, and then backup and restore it ?

Thanks

I don't think this is the problem... because I used the same backups when I installed MCR 3.1, thus the restore worked last week... but not now

it could be that I have not LZO NOW? how can I check it?

Edited by carpao

Guest Keramidas
I don't think this is the problem... because I used the same backups when I installed MCR 3.1, thus the restore worked last week... but not now

it could be that I have not LZO NOW? how can I check it?

Yes this could be the problem.

Go to the Settings page (hit "menu" => "Preferences") and then "Compression" and select "LZO". Go back to the main screen and if you don't have LZO in your ROM, you will get a warning that your setting got reverted back to GZIP.

Yes this could be the problem.

Go to the Settings page (hit "menu" => "Preferences") and then "Compression" and select "LZO". Go back to the main screen and if you don't have LZO in your ROM, you will get a warning that your setting got reverted back to GZIP.

OK this is the problem...

the previous rom had lzo but the present not...

If I remember well in the thread there should be a busybox to dl with lzo... I'll try it... thx

Guest Julant80

Keramidas-

Appreciate all the work you've put into this great app! Just sent donation thru PayPal, and got your reply email, thx! :)

Quick note: I'm running on MCR 1.4 beta right now, so I'll let you know if I run into any issues while poking around in TiBu.

Guest Keramidas

Thanks to everyone who's donating :)

I just released version 2.3.7 with a "backup properties" viewer. I know this was #2 (and not #1) in the poll, but this was seriously needed for Donate users - now gentlemen you can delete or restore any backup (ie: any app version you have backed up), not just the latest one B)

Guest masterpfa
Hi masterpfa,

Thanks for your suggestion ! Yes, I will probably make a small webpage for Titanium Backup with screenshots, a short "Howto" guide and donation info :D

I'm glad you like my app ! So about donating:

- you haven't mentioned PayPal but it is probably the easiest way, since it enables anyone who has a credit card to send money to individual who (like me) can't do merchant-side credit card processing.

- publishing a paid app would be another way to accept credit card payments (through Google checkout) but unfortunately, publishing a paid app from Switzerland is not possible yet.

- if you want to try a wire (bank) transfer and you have low fees for your currency, then please try donating with your own currency. If you can choose whether the fees are to you or to the recipient, try to select "fees for the sender" and you should see how much you'd pay total, for donating the exact amount you want ;) You can PM me for my IBAN and don't worry: even if it goes wrong and I receive $0.01 :) , I'll give you the Donate version anyway B)

General question for everyone: Does anyone other/better ideas on what payment methods donators could use ?

Thanks !

OK Keramidas I have paypal supply the details sir before my Bank Manager gets back

B)

PM me!! or better still how about a paypal donate link on page 1 alongside your original post, similar to Teknologist and Paul

EDIT!

Done a little something coming your way!

Thanks for all your help in the past and thanks for a great app!

:D :D :D

Edited by masterpfa

Guest byakkotai

So can I back up my settings for my HTC Hero with this app? (i.e. Wi-Fi connections, Notifications)

Also, do apps's (sorry that is an absolutely horrid use of English) keep their preferences when backed up?

Guest Keramidas

Hi byakkotai,

This is the only Android app that can backup & restore all your apps' preferences !

Yes, the system settings can be backed up & restored as well, and they are labeled like other apps but in either "green" or "red" color (see the "Legend" in the Titanium Backup menu).

The only weakness (and strength too B) ) is that you backup/restore a whole system package's data in one shot. So for some system packages, it may not be 100% easy to know what is included. Good idea by the way: I need to look at where the Wi-fi settings are stored. But in the meantime, don't worry: if you backup everything you see, the Wi-fi settings *will* be included :)

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas

Hi all !

I have just published a new version (2.4.0) on the Market ! It's also included in the 1st post here.

This version includes filtering of the displayed apps which also applies to batch operations ! And best of all: it's snooping the "Labels" database from Apps Organizer :)

Try it, I'm sure you will love it ...

Good idea by the way: I need to look at where the Wi-fi settings are stored. But in the meantime, don't worry: if you backup everything you see, the Wi-fi settings *will* be included :)

/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf contains known wifi access point details.

Guest Keramidas
/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf contains known wifi access point details.

Many thanks for the info !

I could have looked within /data/data/ for years :)

Ok then - that's one thing which won't be backed up by Titanium. Will perhaps add it in a later version.

Thanks again !

Thanks for this great app. But can this app be used for getting free versions og payed apps. Like buy an app, download and backup it, then get it refounded and then restore it with titanium? Not that Im gona use it for this, but that might be a problem if its possible.