O2 MMS problems

Guest Shuflie

Guest scoobydoo99

I finally got round to sorting mine this morning (Vodafone)

Works a treat so thanks to the techies for their efforts.

Might be useful to have a sticky for this? I had to read all 14 pages a few times to get my head around it and find all the details - it's easy to do once you have the details.

Could we even put the details and file links in the first post somehow?

Guest meinnit
The custom roms don't include the APNs posted in this thread mate, you need a different one for each network. Anyway:

Download the attached zip & extract the apns-conf.xml inside;

Use a file manager/adb to replace your original apns-conf.xml on your phone, which is found in /system/etc;

Go to settings/wireless/mobile/apns then press menu & select reset to defaults;

Optional: Reboot phone (not sure if need to?)

Make sure the apn O2 UK MMS has the green dot next to it (wait a while & check it still has the green dot as mine has a habit of defaulting to the Internet one at first)

Try send/receive mms & let us know??

(I'm also assuming your on o2 contract as you mentioned your using postpay settings currently?)

O2.UK.MMS.FIX.zip

Do you have to always use O2 UK MMS as the APN? Or can you use it just for MMS?

Guest starkos
Do you have to always use O2 UK MMS as the APN? Or can you use it just for MMS?

You should only need to use it if sending/receiving MMS.. Do you ask because of internet/data settings? I think the internet works the same using the mms apn to be honest but I haven't really tested it, if you notice a difference let us know :)

Guest meinnit
You should only need to use it if sending/receiving MMS.. Do you ask because of internet/data settings? I think the internet works the same using the mms apn to be honest but I haven't really tested it, if you notice a difference let us know :)

I've got the green dot next to o2 UK Internet and it still works. A bit strange because there are no MMS settings in here so it must be stealing the info from the MMS APN although APN type is not set to MMS. Really does have a mind of its own!

Thanks for all of the effort in getting it to work. We really need to document this on the Wiki page! If I get a chance, I'll draw up some instructions.

Guest starkos
I've got the green dot next to o2 UK Internet and it still works. A bit strange because there are no MMS settings in here so it must be stealing the info from the MMS APN although APN type is not set to MMS. Really does have a mind of its own!

Thanks for all of the effort in getting it to work. We really need to document this on the Wiki page! If I get a chance, I'll draw up some instructions.

MMS still works with the green dot on the o2 Internet APN? Now that is weird lol! Good idea on adding it to the wiki, go for it.. The only reason I haven't bothered starting a new thread with all the different apns in is because not enough people have given feedback on the different network fixes, as without knowing it's really not worth the hassle :)

Guest slm020
The custom roms don't include the APNs posted in this thread mate, you need a different one for each network. Anyway:

Download the attached zip & extract the apns-conf.xml inside;

Use a file manager/adb to replace your original apns-conf.xml on your phone, which is found in /system/etc;

Go to settings/wireless/mobile/apns then press menu & select reset to defaults;

Optional: Reboot phone (not sure if need to?)

Make sure the apn O2 UK MMS has the green dot next to it (wait a while & check it still has the green dot as mine has a habit of defaulting to the Internet one at first)

Try send/receive mms & let us know??

(I'm also assuming your on o2 contract as you mentioned your using postpay settings currently?)

O2.UK.MMS.FIX.zip

Does this script also fix the receiving tiny MMS's from O2? Is there a fix for that with a Nexus One?

Guest starkos
Does this script also fix the receiving tiny MMS's from O2? Is there a fix for that with a Nexus One?

Nah u need to hack the actual mms.apk so it uses a different user-agent to receive properly sized mms. I attached one for the Pulse I found on xda a few pages back, but that won't work with the Nexus1, although I'm pretty sure someone released one specifically for the Nexus1 in the Nexus1 forum :)

Guest oOBENJYOo

Popped in to o2 store today to ask about settings for o2 active/payandgo but all I got was..."we dont support the pulse"....which I was kind of expecting as I have already been through this with my iphone unlocked.

But I used the payandgo apn for my girlfriends unlocked pulse and all was ok (apart from MMS) which she can live without for now but today ..."NO SERVICE" anyone else ? Put tmobilesim back in and fine...o2 sim no service...anyone?

EDIT....sorry my fault it was because I ordered a new sim so sorted....

Edited by oOBENJYOo

Guest Shuflie

Thought I'd break out the pulse for a play and see if I could get mms going on it. I stuck in a giffgaff sim (they use the O2 network) and applied the O2 MMS fix, then changed the O2 MMS apn to the giffgaff settings but leaving it called o2 UK MMS. Worked like a charm, apart from the usual O2 message resizing that goes on.

Guest jlgmax

Due to a cock-up by o2 when porting my number to a new simplicity contract, I have temporarilly had to migrate over to an o2 PAYG SIM :)

Is there an apn_config.xml file which I can use which will allow my internet and MMS to work on my PAYG service until such time as I can get back over onto Simplicity ? (damn you o2 damn you !!).

Cheers.

Edited by jlgmax

Guest batch_2001

Anyone know how I produce an xml file for three (PAYG). The first entry in the xml file posted looks correct,

<apn carrier="3" apn="three.co.uk" mmsc="http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc" mmsproxy="mms.three.co.uk" mmsport="8799" mcc="234" mnc="20" />

but what is the 'hidden' business in the last line of the xml?? I presume I'd need to change this:

<apn carrier="Orange Hidden UK MMS" mcc="234" mnc="30" apn="orangemms" user="Orange" password="Multimedia" mmsc="http://mms.orange.co.uk/" mmsproxy="192.168.224.010" mmsport="8080" />

Thanks in advance.

Edited by batch_2001

Guest starkos
Anyone know how I produce an xml file for three (PAYG). The first entry in the xml file posted looks correct,

<apn carrier="3" apn="three.co.uk" mmsc="http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc" mmsproxy="mms.three.co.uk" mmsport="8799" mcc="234" mnc="20" />

but what is the 'hidden' business in the last line of the xml?? I presume I'd need to change this:

<apn carrier="Orange Hidden UK MMS" mcc="234" mnc="30" apn="orangemms" user="Orange" password="Multimedia" mmsc="http://mms.orange.co.uk/" mmsproxy="192.168.224.010" mmsport="8080" />

Thanks in advance.

Hey mate, basically that last entry (Hidden) in all the MMS Fixes I've attached in this thread, needs to have identical settings (mms) to that of your network except the mcc/mnc values which need to stay as 234/30. Good luck and let us know if it works...

Guest batch_2001

Thank you to everyone in this thread and Starkos.

The info in case it is of use to someone searching it out in the future:

I have managed to send 3 MMS messages (that's all I tested) successfully on 3 PAYG. I took one of the files attached in this thread and replaced the last APN with:

<apn carrier="3 Hidden" apn="three.co.uk" mmsc="http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc" mmsproxy="mms.three.co.uk" mmsport="8799" mcc="234" mnc="30" />

The new file is here.

apns_conf.xml (this file should be called apns-conf.xml not apns_conf.xml, rename it to the former if downloading it)

The original is here (just in case)

apns_conf.xml (this file should be called apns-conf.xml not apns_conf.xml, rename it to the former if downloading it)

After performing "the procedure", a single APN called "3" is created and away you go!

---------------------

notes:

This was done to a standard T-Mobile Pulse that had simply been rooted. I had also downloaded something called "3 Fix" from Market after advice. found elsewhere, this is pay for as well :P This adjusts the 3 MTU but I have no idea if I need it. Note I did not use custom ROMs.

I have rebooted the phone, I have observed it drop from 3G -> 2G -> 3G (dodgy 3G reception here!) and MMS still sent after all that. Naturally I'll feed back any issues if they occur.

----------------------------------

The procedure:

0. Make sure you rename the new file in the link above from apns_conf.xml to apns-conf.xml . Not sure why but MaDoCo is converting the filename from one with a dash - to an underscore _

1. You need route access to your device. Root the thing using a laptop and the cable that came with the phone (I followed post #3 in this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...lse-is-sloooow/ up to and including the step "- Partitioned the SD card (......").

2. Optionally back up your existing apns-conf.xml. This can be achieved by navigating to /system/etc and sending the file via bluetooth for example

3. Copy the new file to somewhere on your phone, I used bluetood again so it will be in /sdcard/bluetooth/

Now we are ready to go. We will replace the existing apns-conf.xml with the new one. We need root access and read/write permissions to the /system/etc directory. Unless you are proficient in them there computery things I recommend buying (yes paying!) for "root explorer" from market. It's so easy to use. I guess in bBC style - other products area available.

Assuming you have root explorer:

4. Navigate to the directory your new file (apns-conf.xml) is stored (/sdcard/bluetooth/)

5. Select new file by holding your finger down on it. Choose "copy". A 'paste file" box will appear at the bottom of the screen. Don't touch it!

6. navigate back to the root directory /, then on to /system/etc.

7. Now hit the "mount r/w" button at the top of the screen - this makes the directory writeable

8. Now hit the paste button. A warning along the lines of "are you sure you want to replace.." will pop up. Confirm it!

9. Now hit the "mount r" button. This makes the directory read only again.

10. Now quit "root explorer".

11. Got to the settings 'app' and select "wireless controls", "mobile networks", "Access Point Names".

(note, it took a while for settings to come up as phone slowed to a crawl, was getting worried but the phone went back to normal speed after short delay!).

12. Press the menu key and select "reset to defaults".

You may see the '3' APN appear, I'm not sure the next step is needed, but its what I did so better safe than sorry.

13. Reboot your phone.

14. When the phone is back, go back to the "Access Point Names" as per step 11.

15. Confirm that the radio button next to "3" is selected (*) <-- looks like that and not ( ) if you see what I mean.

16. It is- go 17. It isn't - select radio button by tapping your finger on the round button. I believe you don't want to open the APN settings so watch for fat fingers.

17. Enjoy your 3 MMS.

diclaimer:Follow instructions at owners risk. No animals were harmed during the production of this product. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. Some names have been changed to protect the . If condition persists, consult your doctor. Slippery when wet. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. May be too intense for some viewers. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control centre immediately. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. Objects in rear-view mirror may be behind you and closer than you think . Driver does not carry cash . No tools stored in van overnight . Baby on board . Hot drink - may be hot . Do not alight from moving train . Mind the gap .Other restrictions may apply.

Edited by batch_2001

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cheadle
Im soo stupid lol! I think the reason yours continued to work after 2g-3g switching and mine didn't is because in apns settings (phone ui) you had the o2 uk postpay apn selected & I had the o2 uk selected

So now, by using the attached apns-conf.xml (use it to replace the original in /system/etc); resetting apns to default in phone; selecting (green dot) the apn titled o2 UK MMS; mms should work without having to use any scripts any more!

Still not sure how stable mms is though, mms reports only occasionally work (mostly stay on status:pending). How reliable are mms reports for you le_lutin?

Edit: As pointed out by snpg, for some reason the attachment service on the forum is changing - into _ ? So if you download the attached apns-conf.xml replace the _ with - ;)

Just to ask a question as I dont seem to be able to find the answer to this in the thread.

How do I get into the /system/etc folder? Im mainly working on a Win XP machine, however I can fire up my Ubuntu machine if that is the way to do it? Just be handy to get some simple instructions on how to do this operation.

As im on O2 Simplicity - im assuming that I can follow the above steps and just select the O2 option?

Edited by Cheadle

Guest quincy456

that post above by batch_2001 deserves to be a sticky guide as it works a treat, the fix survives reboots and 2g/3g switchover.

in short - genius, thank you very much.

;)

Guest oOBENJYOo
Yes I have done it !!

Woohoo! Thanks all for your help.

As always amazes me how clever some of you are.

Thanks

dave

;) Thats great news for you buddy.....could you tell everybody else who is having problems what you done to resolve your problem or is that you sorted now no need for helping others?

Guest oOBENJYOo
Thank you to everyone in this thread and Starkos.

The info in case it is of use to someone searching it out in the future:

I have managed to send 3 MMS messages (that's all I tested) successfully on 3 PAYG. I took one of the files attached in this thread and replaced the last APN with:

<apn carrier="3 Hidden" apn="three.co.uk" mmsc="http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc" mmsproxy="mms.three.co.uk" mmsport="8799" mcc="234" mnc="30" />

The new file is here.

The original is here (just in case)

After performing "the procedure", a single APN called "3" is created and away you go!

So is this for help with o2 mms problems which is what this thread is or is it something that should be in a new thread for 3 mms ? still good though and should deffo be a sticky well done !

---------------------

notes:

This was done to a standard T-Mobile Pulse that had simply been rooted. I had also downloaded something called "3 Fix" from Market after advice. found elsewhere, this is pay for as well ;) This adjusts the 3 MTU but I have no idea if I need it. Note I did not use custom ROMs.

I have rebooted the phone, I have observed it drop from 3G -> 2G -> 3G (dodgy 3G reception here!) and MMS still sent after all that. Naturally I'll feed back any issues if they occur.

----------------------------------

The procedure:

0. Make sure you rename the new file in the link above from apns_conf.xml to apns-conf.xml . Not sure why but MaDoCo is converting the filename from one with a dash - to an underscore _

1. You need route access to your device. Root the thing using a laptop and the cable that came with the phone (I followed post #3 in this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...lse-is-sloooow/ up to and including the step "- Partitioned the SD card (......").

2. Optionally back up your existing apns-conf.xml. This can be achieved by navigating to /system/etc and sending the file via bluetooth for example

3. Copy the new file to somewhere on your phone, I used bluetood again so it will be in /sdcard/bluetooth/

Now we are ready to go. We will replace the existing apns-conf.xml with the new one. We need root access and read/write permissions to the /system/etc directory. Unless you are proficient in them there computery things I recommend buying (yes paying!) for "root explorer" from market. It's so easy to use. I guess in bBC style - other products area available.

Assuming you have root explorer:

4. Navigate to the directory your new file (apns-conf.xml) is stored (/sdcard/bluetooth/)

5. Select new file by holding your finger down on it. Choose "copy". A 'paste file" box will appear at the bottom of the screen. Don't touch it!

6. navigate back to the root directory /, then on to /system/etc.

7. Now hit the "mount r/w" button at the top of the screen - this makes the directory writeable

8. Now hit the paste button. A warning along the lines of "are you sure you want to replace.." will pop up. Confirm it!

9. Now hit the "mount r" button. This makes the directory read only again.

10. Now quit "root explorer".

11. Got to the settings 'app' and select "wireless controls", "mobile networks", "Access Point Names".

(note, it took a while for settings to come up as phone slowed to a crawl, was getting worried but the phone went back to normal speed after short delay!).

12. Press the menu key and select "reset to defaults".

You may see the '3' APN appear, I'm not sure the next step is needed, but its what I did so better safe than sorry.

13. Reboot your phone.

14. When the phone is back, go back to the "Access Point Names" as per step 11.

15. Confirm that the radio button next to "3" is selected (*) <-- looks like that and not ( ) if you see what I mean.

16. It is- go 17. It isn't - select radio button by tapping your finger on the round button. I believe you don't want to open the APN settings so watch for fat fingers.

17. Enjoy your 3 MMS.

diclaimer:Follow instructions at owners risk. No animals were harmed during the production of this product. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, or events, past, present or future, is purely coincidental. Some names have been changed to protect the . If condition persists, consult your doctor. Slippery when wet. Parental guidance advised. Always read the label. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. May be too intense for some viewers. In case of accidental ingestion, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control centre immediately. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. Objects in rear-view mirror may be behind you and closer than you think . Driver does not carry cash . No tools stored in van overnight . Baby on board . Hot drink - may be hot . Do not alight from moving train . Mind the gap .Other restrictions may apply.

Guest batch_2001
So is this for help with o2 mms problems which is what this thread is or is it something that should be in a new thread for 3 mms ? still good though and should deffo be a sticky well done !

Good point, the apns-conf.xml file I posted is for 3. There are a number of posts in this thread with modified "apns-conf.xml" for various other PAYG and contract providers (Orange, Voda and O2).

The procedure is the same for all of them, just make sure you get the right apns-conf.xml for your provider instead of the one I posted (you'll have to read back a few pages in the thread).

edit: From what I can see, not tested any myself.

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=46694 (voadphone,contract?)

<apn carrier="Vodafone Hidden UK MMS" mcc="234" mnc="30" apn="wap.vodafone.co.uk" user="wap" password="wap" mmsc="http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms" mmsproxy="212.183.137.012" mmsport="8799" />

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=46768 (orange)

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=46792 (O2 payg)

<apn carrier="o2 Hidden UK MMS PAYG" apn="payandgo.o2.co.uk" user="vertigo" password="password" mmsc="http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk" mmsproxy="193.113.200.195" port="8080" mcc="234" mnc="30" />

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=46357 (o2 contract)

<apn carrier="o2 Hidden MMS" mcc="234" mnc="30" apn="wap.o2.co.uk" proxy="193.113.200.195" port="8080" user="o2wap" password="password" mmsc="http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002" mmsproxy="193.113.200.195" mmsport="8080"/>

Have a look in the file and check the last mms entry in the file matches your providers settings (I've cut and paste them below the file links). Ignore the mcc and mnc values.

As I said, Starkos et al deserve the credit for working everything out. I merely collated the info.

--------------------------

If anyone has a better (free) way of getting the apns-conf.xml onto the pulse please post it here. Also interested to know if "rooting" the phone is a necessary step too.

Edited by batch_2001

• 4 months later...
Guest zuccster
link for o2 contract don't work :P

Yeah, the password for the "o2 UK Internet" APN in that file is wrong (I think it's the one for iPhone contracts only). Try the attached apns-conf.xml. Works for me on O2 Simplicity

apns_conf.xml

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brad2303

Has anyone found the MMS APN settings that work for Tesco Mobile Contract? I have tried modifying the o2 ones but no joy. Help appreciated.

Edited by brad2303