[ROM] O2LITE WM 6.5.3 Edition [SOON]

Guest rodrigofd

Guest rodrigofd
As you may know I don't know of anybody that managed to reduce Samsung reserved memory. Just porting a new OS won't change it. Porting is only changing XIP part of the ROM and WM system part. And if you look in the files which come in the new sys folder (or even the number of applications offered by Microsoft) with every upgrade of WM you get more "rubbish" that you probably will never use. It's like on the PC every new Windows version is bigger. What you could install before from CD now need a DVD. The same applies to Windows Mobile. So let's hope that there is a chance to increase the free ram... soon. Another thing about WM6.5.3 is that some application are not looking good because of the wider bottom bar, which obstructs part of the application screen (Samsung dialer, Resco Explorer etc). So I don't know what the fuss is about with wanting to upgrade. I only did it because it was a challenge to work out how to port it to Samsung rom but I am not sure if I am going to keep it.

Curious, i was abot to write more or less the same words ;) i did it just because of the challenge, but it actually is a troublesome GUI, so it seems not worth much:P.....

Well, what we need here is a NK.EXE expert to help us patching it, and i already wrote CMONEX from XDA, one of the gurus of gurus...maybe she is generous enough with his time , and gives us a hand..

Guest ANGEL_666

Guys! This is single-language Russian rom. It's cooked from original L1 and build 28008. I can't upload this rom, because i have old GPRS internet connection. Rom size is about 300 Mb. I hope your understand me. BUT! I can upload XIP.bin from this rom. I hope Rodrigo use it quickly, and all you will have this build .  ;)

P.S. How to upload? Forum write, that i havn't rights to upload...      Any ideas?

By the way, now i have 81Mb ram, and 101Mb phone memory. 

P.S. How to upload? Forum write, that i havn't rights to upload... Any ideas?

Maybe that's due to some forum policy regarding some sort of limitation for member who, let's say, has less than 10 posts or so, no idea really!

For uploading, try Mediafire it's fast and free.

Guest obsidianz
Curious, i was abot to write more or less the same words ;) i did it just because of the challenge, but it actually is a troublesome GUI, so it seems not worth much:P.....

Well, what we need here is a NK.EXE expert to help us patching it, and i already wrote CMONEX from XDA, one of the gurus of gurus...maybe she is generous enough with his time , and gives us a hand..

Right on!

personally i think rodrigofd should focus to perfect the Ultralite ROM.

Because thats the one that will work on current available apps. not the 6.5.3.

but then it's up to the master to decide on how he uses his time..

im just rambling here...... ;)

With the current performance + memory that the ultralite is giving I would see the Ultralite as nlited XP SP3 and the omnia 2 as an unformatted PC.

6.5.3 is stock Vista, while WM7 is Win7.......

just my 2 cents. ;)

Edited by obsidianz

while you wait, perhaps something can be done using hex editor or such to see if there are/is something like 96-116MB inside of that exe?

Rodrigo,

Did you manage to rebuild nk.exe from sections? I get an error "ProcessCase0: bit 5 is zero!" when I run RecMod to do it. If you did can you post it here. I will try to disassemble it and look at in IDA.

Guest rodrigofd
Rodrigo,

Did you manage to rebuild nk.exe from sections? I get an error "ProcessCase0: bit 5 is zero!" when I run RecMod to do it. If you did can you post it here. I will try to disassemble it and look at in IDA.

Same here.. nk.exe module can't be recmodded, as it is a xip module. In any case, technically you CAN disassemble it in IDA, just that it's harder to do so. You must figure out which data is code, which is raw data, etc.

Same here.. nk.exe module can't be recmodded, as it is a xip module. In any case, technically you CAN disassemble it in IDA, just that it's harder to do so. You must figure out which data is code, which is raw data, etc.

I will have a look. Information about the file is in imageinfo.bin maybe I will try.

well, that might be true. all we wanna know is where the hack is that 256MB ?! Samsung need to give us a hellova explaination.

because WM need to download the kernel to RAM and then we can use.

The download things reserve the memery.

for both WM6.1 and WM6.5 we need download the kernel from ROM to RAM. but severl years before WM2003 just use the whole RAM. but when there is any issue, all files you store in PPC will lose. Then MS create the "genius" download and write back solution,,,,,

Guest rodrigofd
because WM need to download the kernel to RAM and then we can use.

The download things reserve the memery.

for both WM6.1 and WM6.5 we need download the kernel from ROM to RAM. but severl years before WM2003 just use the whole RAM. but when there is any issue, all files you store in PPC will lose. Then MS create the "genius" download and write back solution,,,,,

Your explanation does not entirely justifies ram reservation. Ram reservation here done by samsung kernel is beyond WM 6.5 internal working needs, of course it is not a 'huge bug', and has some justification, just that they might have exceeded on it.

Guest tolistr

Dear rodrigofd thankyou for these Roms you made for us.I'm from Greece and I wοnder if you can leave the multilanguage option to this Rom so we can use it with all languages.

Guest rodrigofd
Dear rodrigofd thankyou for these Roms you made for us.I'm from Greece and I wοnder if you can leave the multilanguage option to this Rom so we can use it with all languages.

Sorry but it's not just to 'leave an option' on the Rom, to build it with the multiple language options, is extremely complex, and not a possibility in current cooking (i won't ever dive into that since needed effort is not worth it). so your best bet currently would be to wait for a greek cooker ;)

Guest costipl

I'm not a developer, and this is pure speculation, but I've been thinking: The O2 has a graphics chip with "dedicated memory", right? What if said memory is not on a separate chip, but instead is the reserved part of RAM? Kinda like laptop chips with shared memory, except here the memory size is fixed and is made unavailable to the system.

My very wild gess is that Samsung went a bit overboard and assigned 128MB to the graphics chip, with the rest of the reserved memory being used by WinMO. So, if this theory is true, we could easily shave off 64MB without, hopefully, impairing the graphics performance.

Just my 2 cents (which is probably wrong anyway ;) ).

Sorry but it's not just to 'leave an option' on the Rom, to build it with the multiple language options, is extremely complex, and not a possibility in current cooking (i won't ever dive into that since needed effort is not worth it). so your best bet currently would be to wait for a greek cooker ;)

what if someone teach an easy way or give some hints to convert an only english rom into a given language rom, not the whole cook process. I think it should be possible with few steps (at least I believe... ;) ).This would permit every person to translate a given rom into his own language without have too much knowledge in cooking process...I know I'm a dreamer...

Edited by kibiwi

what if someone teach an easy way or give some hints to convert an only english rom into a given language rom, not the whole cook process. I think it should be possible with few steps (at least I believe... ;) ).This would permit every person to translate a given rom into his own language without have too much knowledge in cooking process...I know I'm a dreamer...

It's not hard. If you get a new OS version with all language files (you have to try and find it on the web) and replace all english locale files 0409 with the language files that suit you. You would have to change registry as well to different language.

If you have your phone set up for your language you won't even have to change anything in registry. Dump the rom from your phone using Sorg's application. Then do all the steps needed to dump it to \oem and \sys folders. Then you will see what language files you will need it (there will be a lot of files with 0xxx in them - like english has 0409) and find the language files for your new rom that have to be put in \sys folder instead of english 0409. And do the same thing as you would be doing for an English rom.

It's not hard. If you get a new OS version with all language files (you have to try and find it on the web) and replace all english locale files 0409 with the language files that suit you. You would have to change registry as well to different language.

If you have your phone set up for your language you won't even have to change anything in registry. Dump the rom from your phone using Sorg's application. Then do all the steps needed to dump it to \oem and \sys folders. Then you will see what language files you will need it (there will be a lot of files with 0xxx in them - like english has 0409) and find the language files for your new rom that have to be put in \sys folder instead of english 0409. And do the same thing as you would be doing for an English rom.

thanks wes you are a godsend for me and my problems you are simply the best I will try to follow your advice...